Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to remove my pod point tethered charger from Tesla charge port? (Without using the screen in the car)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all

Only way I seem to be able to remove my pod point charger from my new model y is to unlock the car, and press unlock charge port on the screen inside the car.

I must be missing something obvious surely? Is there a way of doing this without going into the car and using the screen?

Thanks all

Hello all

Only way I seem to be able to remove my pod point charger from my new model y is to unlock the car, and press unlock charge port on the screen inside the car.

I must be missing something obvious surely? Is there a way of doing this without going into the car and using the screen?

Thanks all
Select charging in the app wait a few seconds and unlock charge port button appears

Select charging in the app wait a few seconds and unlock charge port button appears
Thanks for responding. This lightning bolt icon?

A566C01F-4D8F-47A5-822C-8852687ADB82.jpeg

The app picture should be different.

Your car is not showing that it is plugged in or charging, When it is the car faces in the opposite direction and the charge lead is shown, below it there is a button to "stop charging". It then goes to unlock charge port.

Screenshot 2023-03-05 at 12.12.37.png

Screenshot 2023-03-05 at 12.15.29.png

Reactions: waltonmark
I've always wanted an option buried away to 'unlock charge cable when unlocking car', but I guess that doesn't promote a Tesla wall charger...

I do like it when I approach the wife's Peugeot and the car unlocks and so does the charge cable...
Did they add this for CCS charging but not type 2? When something came out I'm not sure if we actually got to the bottom of what the release notes actually meant - always seemed odd if it was CCS only. I've only done one non Tesla CCS charge and that was before the change so never got to test.

Hello all

Thanks all
I have same issue with my new M3/pod and can’t use app for unlocking charger as car is leased so I am not legal owner. Does anyone who is company car owner have experience of successfully getting app to work for charger unlocking?

I have same issue with my new M3/pod and can’t use app for unlocking charger as car is leased so I am not legal owner. Does anyone who is company car owner have experience of successfully getting app to work for charger unlocking?
I'm a company car owner and have full access pretty much to the app for stuff like this, only thing I can't do is purchase upgrades (except for premium connectivity)

That looks to be (iirc 433Mhz and not too difficult to build yourself) RF so will iirc only open the charge port, ie similar to physically pressing the charge port door.

To unlock a charge wand, it requires an electrical connection within the charge cable itself (iirc it acts on the pilot pin), which is what the Tesla button on Tesla charge cables (or some after market) provides.

I don’t think an RF pulse can achieve the same although Tesla App and fob can do this presumably because they are securely paired with the car, Tesla app via API and key fob via Bluetooth.

Unimaginable that Tesla would restrict charge port unlock for company cars. My lease car is fine.

You don’t need any 3rd party app nonsense for this. If you don’t have the lightning bolt icon on the App just push and hold on one of the four icons you do have and swap it out.

You could also use a 50p NFC tag off eBay with Apple shortcuts.