Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Survive without Home or Work Charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aloha Everyone,

I was informed by Tesla that I will be taking delivery of my new Model 3 next week. I currently live in a condo that does not have a charging station or any outlet that can be publicly used for that matter. I was supposed to be moving into a new home by this time, but something came up. I may not have the ability to home charge until possibly December.

I work 5 days a week, but only every other week. My total commute back and forth is only around 7 miles. I don't do heavy driving during my time off. Any tips on the best way to keep my car charged with the least amount of time wasted while waiting somewhere publicly? I will have my CHAdeMO adapter before picking up the vehicle which I hope will be helpful. I reside in the Mililani area and have seen a few different places to get charged up at. I know some have time limits. I'm really not sure how much range I would get off a 2 hour charge. I know it depends on the speed of the charging station. To the best of my knowledge CHAdeMO supported stations are capable of 50kW. Even if that's true, I'm not sure if every station actually utilizes the maximum charging potential. Any advice would be appreciated.

Much Mahalos,

-Timbo
Please let me know what you find out because I’m in exact same situation as you. Mahalo’s

There are actually 3 supercharging stations expected to open in Hawaii before 2020 ends. Although I wouldn't recommend always using superchargers unless you need to charge up quickly. Superchargers are mostly intended for longer drives when you need to charge up quickly and continue on your way. Hopefully battery day will release information on new batteries that can constantly use superchargers without long term harm on the battery. I do a lot of driving and often times I'm not at home overnight to always charge, so more frequent uses of superchargers would be very helpful to me.
Really? Three super chargers? I don’t know anything about this except for maybe one that was forecasted to go into Pearl city area. Where did you find this information out? Advance thank you!

Please let me know what you find out because I’m in exact same situation as you. Mahalo’s

I just bought a chademo charging adapter from Tesla for $450 and fill up at Aiea Times Square. That's what is closest to me. They have a spot with support for chademo charging. I usually go late at night. It takes a me about an hour anc a half if it's very low. Otherwise I'm usually at least there for an hour. It's not free by the way. I usually pay about $30 for a full charge. I watch Netflix and eat dinner sometimes while I'm waiting.

• Love
Reactions: Kianaf808
If it becomes a problem you can also turn off sentry mode and cabin overheat protection and the data connection to conserve power. It does make a significant difference when parked.

I ran with just a standard electrical outlet for a while and survived without needing to charge anywhere else.

Cold weather eats battery life while the car sits but you don't have to worry about that one.

Really? Three super chargers? I don’t know anything about this except for maybe one that was forecasted to go into Pearl city area. Where did you find this information out? Advance thank you!

Those 3 superchargers have been coming soon for 3 years now! :( Definitely not likely this year. Maybe 2021 will FINALLY the year of the supercharger here!

And FYI mainland peeps, superchargers for range is NOT the issue here, We need them for all the condo/townhome dwellers (like the OP) who have no access to charging in their buildings. That has always been our reasoning to Tesla.