Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to talk to Google Assistant?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How can I talk to Google Assistant in my Model 3?

I know the car is already talking to my phone; it finds phone numbers from my phone book.

But if say "Navigate to <friend's name>", the car is too dumb to look up the address in my address book.

Plus, whenever I say "call <wife's name> mobile", it offers to call a woman with the same initials that I hardly know and haven't seen in 20 years. And then makes my take my eyes off the road to scroll between her home, work, and mobile numbers.

Google Assistant (in my other car) has no trouble with these requests at all. It'll also answer general questions, set reminders, etc, etc.

So how to get the Tesla to pass along my query to Google Assistant?

I've tried "OK, Google", "Hey Google", "Connect me to Google", etc. No joy. Why should this be difficult?

How can I talk to Google Assistant in my Model 3?

I know the car is already talking to my phone; it finds phone numbers from my phone book.

But if say "Navigate to <friend's name>", the car is too dumb to look up the address in my address book.

Plus, whenever I say "call <wife's name> mobile", it offers to call a woman with the same initials that I hardly know and haven't seen in 20 years. And then makes my take my eyes off the road to scroll between her home, work, and mobile numbers.

Google Assistant (in my other car) has no trouble with these requests at all. It'll also answer general questions, set reminders, etc, etc.

So how to get the Tesla to pass along my query to Google Assistant?

I've tried "OK, Google", "Hey Google", "Connect me to Google", etc. No joy. Why should this be difficult?

Drum roll...... you can't! It's embarrassing really. I've owned three cars in a row where a long-press of the "voice" or "phone" button would activate Siri/Google Assistant.

Best thing you can do is have your phone out (like in the charging area) and say "Hey Siri" or "Hey Google" loud enough that it can hear you. Some folks do that by using the left steering wheel button to temporarily mute the audio.

It's one of a LONG list of very obvious shortcomings of the Infotainment part of the Tesla.

I think hes talking about something like this. I found it using his quoted search term on Amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/Satechi-Bl...ooth+multimedia+buttons&qid=1568912632&sr=8-2
I am looking for a similar solution, and got excited about this. But it won't work to trigger Google Assistant apparently. From the Customer Q&A section of the listing:

Q: Can I activate Google Assistant with this button?
A: Dear Customer,

Thank you for choosing Satechi!

No, you cannot activate Google Assistant with this button. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Please let us know if you have any further questions by emailing us at [email protected].

Thank you,
Satechi Technical Support see less
By Satechi Tech Support on April 16, 2018