Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to tell how long power was out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my first power outage with this storm and it look like my batteries kicked in. My computer seems to have rebooted so might need to get a UPS.

But, where can I tell how long it went out for?

In the mobile app, “Impact” card, scroll down to “Backup History”. Maybe also “View All Events”.

Bruce.

How long was yours out for @h2ofun?

Christmas Eve morning we had the power go out 3 times. Two in a minute or less at 4:50am and 5:26am but then at 5:43am it was out about 46min. so sound asleep during all. Wonder what was the issue. That was our first “long” power outage. Did give me pause thinking how during this days-on-end rainy period and low solar power generation that our 3 PWs were already down to the low 20% SOC range (set to 20%) and glad this wasn’t a major event.

Anyway later that morning only thing we noticed was that our printer that was on ethernet wouldn’t print. Had to plug and unplug the 8-port ethernet switch in our structured wiring panel to reset it and the printer started printing.

Last edited:
Mine for

Christmas Eve morning we had the power go out 3 times. Two in a minute or less at 4:50am and 5:26am but then at 5:43am it was out about 46min. so sound asleep during all. Wonder what was the issue. That was our first “long” power outage. Did give me pause thinking how during this days-on-end rainy period and low solar power generation that our 3 PWs were already down to the low 20% SOC range (set to 20%) and glad this wasn’t a major event.

Anyway later that morning only thing we noticed was that our printer that was on ethernet wouldn’t print. Had to plug and unplug the 8-port ethernet switch in our structured wiring panel to reset it and the printer started printing.

Mine was just 2 minutes. But, my daughter lives in colfax and she is on her 3rd day no power, so she is staying with us. We got snow starting last night at 3pm and we are at 1500 feet, so does not happen often. The amount of damage in the hills from the snow is going to take many many days for the power to be restored. And so many now have homes in the 30's, if not colder. talk about most were not prepared for power alternatives. I love the one who just put solar in and wished they had gotten a battery

Had my first power outage with this storm and it look like my batteries kicked in. My computer seems to have rebooted so might need to get a UPS.

But, where can I tell how long it went out for?
dont know if you are already aware but that log may not reflect actual outage .. shows how long your system off grid .. example for my system once power was "out" for 1 sec .. app shows 15 min since thats how long before system decided to go back on grid... another time out for a second again and system went back on grid after 2 min so shows 2 min outage ..
i know actual duration of outages from an ocd neighbor .. i say 1 sec but in reality was a light flicker both times for neighbor so maybe even less than full sec
if you were wanting to see how long system stayed off grid for that event then ignore my above post haha

dont know if you are already aware but that log may not reflect actual outage .. shows how long your system off grid .. example for my system once power was "out" for 1 sec .. app shows 15 min since thats how long before system decided to go back on grid... another time out for a second again and system went back on grid after 2 min so shows 2 min outage ..
i know actual duration of outages from an ocd neighbor .. i say 1 sec but in reality was a light flicker both times for neighbor so maybe even less than full sec
if you were wanting to see how long system stayed off grid for that event then ignore my above post haha
Just had my first real power outage, which lasted about 6 hours. Saw no impact with batteries. But, have family members at my house since they do not have power. Love it :)

Reactions: thesmokingman
Just had my first real power outage, which lasted about 6 hours. Saw no impact with batteries. But, have family members at my house since they do not have power. Love it :)

How many are still without power in Nevada and El Dorado County? Like are there emergency stations set up for people to try and get warm? How are people even supposed to get to those stations if the roads are closed? Such a mess...

Do you remember outages like this before? I hope the residents up there are prepared for this stuff (like old-school preparation without Powerwalls lolz).

Reactions: h2ofun
My power went out several times in the early hours of the 27th and finally remained off since 7am on the 27th. PG&E weren't even able to get on sight to make an evaluation until this morning and still no estimated time of restoration.
Used the last of the juice in my Powerwalls last night, solar panels are covered with snow. I'm now running off my generator.

I went up CA193 into Georgetown for gas for my generator yesterday. DOT website didn't list any problems on 193 other than potential tree trimming. 193 was single lane in a lot of areas due to snow and obstacles. Trees and powerlines down everywhere. Smaller trees you just ran over (also downed lines). Other trees were cut just enough to allow single lane passage (don't know why they didn't cut off enough for both lanes). Many of the power poles had their "T"s twisted or broken from the trees taking out the powerlines. One place my truck barely fit under a downed line.

When I got to Georgetown the station had ran out of everything but diesel (when I had called ahead they still had premium). They said the tanker is on its way and expect more fuel in about 45 minutes. The whole area was a cluster &%#$ so I decided just to head back towards Coloma instead of waiting.

On the way back I saw a CalTrans snowplow coming from the other direction stopped at the powerline that he was too tall for. No good place for him to turn around and cars backed up behind him. Took a while to get past him because of other traffic and obstacles. A little further down the road I saw the gas tanker heading up to Georgetown. He would also be too tall to get under the powerline even if he could get around the snow plow. Don't know if/when they ever got gas at the gas station - glad I didn't wait.

Last edited:
Our 45 minutes off was indicated in the app as 1 hour so use as a guide but go by the actual timestamp.
That is also interesting.
On my older version of the app and phone, it showed me seconds being off line.
As I am rechecking the new app, it gives general written times, "a few seconds," "an hour" but that last one under the date it gives the start and stop times
so that written description becomes 1h 20m.

@RKCRLR Stay safe! How warm does it have to get to melt the snow off your panels?

All the best

BG
Thanks!
It is lightly raining now. I'm hoping that will melt the snow or make it heavy enough to slide off the panels. But that is a double edged sword. If it stays below freezing long enough that very wet snow turns to solid ice. My wife's 2wd car couldn't make it up our driveway for a week during the last similar snow because the shaded ice didn't melt. And it is very difficult to "shovel" off.

Looks like this article answers my questions...

Estimated time to get power restored for people is January 10?! This is definitely not normal, and the preparation people have to anticipate this seems inadequate across the board.

The worst part is there are no standard solutions for people. PG&E just tells people to check with "211". There are no emergency centers for people to try and get warm, and no structured program for guide people into finding alternate housing. It really is just 50,000 families trying to figure things out on their own.

As always, PG&E has no one accountable or responsible. They just need billions more money. Right.

Estimated time to get power restored for people is January 10?! This is definitely not normal, and the preparation people have to anticipate this seems inadequate across the board.

The worst part is there are no standard solutions for people. PG&E just tells people to check with "211". There are no emergency centers for people to try and get warm, and no structured program for guide people into finding alternate housing. It really is just 50,000 families trying to figure things out on their own.

As always, PG&E has no one accountable or responsible. They just need billions more money. Right.
The frustrating thing is lack of communication on both the government's and PG&E's part.
The Sherriff says to not go out on the roads unless necessary. But there is no current accurate list of road conditions. There was no mention of CA193 problems on the DOT website when I went out on it. And there isn't a coordinated list of which gas stations are open and have fuel. My local gas station/convenience store used to have a generator but it appears that since they were bought by 7-Eleven they have stopped keeping a generator onsite so they are closed. If a station is busy because it has gas it may not answer the phone. So you wind up wandering around on partially open roads looking for gas from open stations that are few and far between.

IMO, this is just another example of whats wrong in our county!! These folks KNOW, KNEW they elected to buy in an area that can have issues like this!! But, what did they do, nothing! So now they bitch it is someone elses fault they do not have power. They CHOSE to now have in place options. I do not feel sorry for them at all. I have paid lots of money to be ready with different options if my power goes out! I am ready.

The frustrating thing is lack of communication on both the government's and PG&E's part.
The Sherriff says to not go out on the roads unless necessary. But there is no current accurate list of road conditions. There was no mention of CA193 problems on the DOT website when I went out on it. And there isn't a coordinated list of which gas stations are open and have fuel. My local gas station/convenience store used to have a generator but it appears that since they were bought by 7-Eleven they have stopped keeping a generator onsite so they are closed. If a station is busy because it has gas it may not answer the phone. So you wind up wandering around on partially open roads looking for gas from open stations that are few and far between.
Yes, this is all to often the case in California.

If you can, I would try to organize at least some of your neighbors into a group that can share information. After the lightning storm fires, we beefed up our local text list with cell numbers and emails for everybody in our neighborhood. For the moment, you might try social media (FB, Twitter) and look for local postings. Twitter was hands down the best source during the fires and evacuations last year; CalFire, the sheriff, all the agencies and neighbors were posting there.

Three weeks is about the minimum supplies of food, water, and fuel that we aim for, just because of prior experiences with fires, PG&E, and the knowledge that there are big earthquakes coming. Eco or diesel generators can go a long time on low loads.

(Hey Tesla how about letting us charge Powerwalls using generators during outages? Low probability, but high value use case.)

Stay safe out there.

All the best,

BG

Reactions: bmah and h2ofun
Gather 'round the fireplace; grandpa has a story. In my day, we had these things called clocks. They were boxes that told the time and did nothing else. No movies, no talking, it couldn't even open the garage door. Just had the time. Of course they couldn't resist the impulse build them into other things, so sometimes radios or ovens had them.

So after the power failed sometime in the night, I observed the following. The analog clock, being nothing more than a motor, gears and hands, simply stopped for the duration. So the amount of time "it was slow" by told how long the power was out. Then the one in the VCR had started up at the traditional 12:00. The time shown on that told when the power was restored. Finally, the clock radio had a battery and never missed a beat. That one told what the correct time was.

Those were the days.