Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to tell if new car has HW4?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s also questionable what benefit HW4 will have with these rollouts since the additional cameras will come at a later date and if they could even be retrofitted. Likewise will these early HW4 cars even have updated cameras at shipment over HW3 cars.

Speculation is parts will be rolled out in stages, perhaps over a year or more.

If you’ve trying to use this a basis to wait or buy I personally wouldn’t bother. If you must have all the extra cameras, updated camera sensors and HW4 computer it’s going to be a while to wait. Otherwise just buy in if you need the car. This will not be sorted and rolled out, especially completely in the coming months.

I agree if you want the car in the near future then there is no point to wait because it will become an endless cycle. HW4 will benefit FSD takers the most. I can see this being similar to a HW2 to HW2.5 type roll out.

It is possible that it can have HW4 (based on EV CPO some exist now) but there isn’t much information in this yet. I am in the same boat as you with an X delivery being in the next 2 weeks. If I find out any more information I will let you know! As of right now though, haven’t really seen anything (since what I’m hearing is there is a soft rollout for HW4)

FWIW Teslascope tweeted on 2/22/23:

- HW4 has already begun production (gratefully confirmed externally by @klwtts). Tesla's goal is for all vehicle models to be delivered with this new hardware by the end of Summer, including those made in China and Berlin.
- As of this moment, no actively produced Model S/3/X/Y will include additional cameras. Instead, Tesla has begun to upgrade the resolution of cameras silently, starting in late December 2022.
- We've been told to inform customers not to expect additional cameras for at least a few months. There is no information regarding retrofits, although if/when this is possible, it will require that HW4 is already present in the vehicle.
- The Cybertruck being produced this year and in-production Semis will be the first vehicles to have the additional cameras (and HW4) from the start. Before then, the Model X and S will be the first vehicles to include the new cameras, and this will gradually transition to include Model 3/Y (made in all regions) before the end of the year.

So I assume M3/MY will have HW4 only by end of Summer, and HW4 with additional sensors by end of 2023. No mention of when/if HD radar?

Last edited:
HW4 even with upgraded cameras and HD Radar is still going to just be a stepping stone over current system. It’s the additional cameras that will make all the difference and make expect that will require new body panels as well. Going to a while till they get all of it out.

I would think the car info screen should identify it.

QUOTE="Boldminer, post: 7467487, member: 270561"]
I visited the delivery center this afternoon. The lady told me it is assumed to be 4.0 because all new deliveries have 3 cam on front windows.
[/QUOTE]

Haven’t all Tesla models had 3 cameras on the windshield for years now.

Reactions: preilly44
I visited the delivery center this afternoon. The lady told me it is assumed to be 4.0 because all new deliveries have 3 cam on front windows.
That is what a service advisor has told me too (not for all vehicles but for the Model X I am expecting). Thing is I don’t think the service advisors really know all that much in some cases. Meaning some say one thing and another will tell you something opposite.

👆

I love how much faith people put in clueless Tesla employees who make $17 an hour and have worked for the company for 7 weeks.

I managed a high end stereo for a decade in my youth. If no one was in the shop I was already reading everything I could to be familiar with all the tech and competition.

We would occasionally get people in from
Best Buy whose top end products were the lowest thing we sold. People would go on about what the Best Buy salespeople said. My general answer was they had little to no idea about what they were selling and were just as likely to be selling shoes the week before.