Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta on HW4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm thinking about trading in my 2019 Model 3 for a 2024 S or refreshed 3. Is FSD Beta running on HW4 cars yet? Is it at the same rev as HW3 cars.
HW3 and HW4 cars run the same versions of software. HW4 has FSD beta and does not appear to be any better, or worse than HW3 in videos I've seen. At least, nobody seems to claim any difference at this point.

A HW4 M3 will have no USS, so Summon, (not so) Smart Summon and Autopark are currently not available. Hopefully that will change soon. But, in the meantime, if you rely on these, you have been warned.

Also, if you trade now, your new car will be on the production software branch, and will not get V12 in the initial rollout. It is unknown when V12 will go to the production branch. So if you are eagerly awaiting V12, you might factor that into your buying decision.

interestingly I did notice a difference today. HW3 really seems to have less capability further down the road. On the highway is busy traffic, HW3 will not respond to brake light way out in front. Conversely with HW4, it will start to slow down much earlier than HW3 and be much more relaxed feeling.
Basically fewer hard braking situations.
No USS still bugs me, but I can see where HW4 is better.

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394
I am trying to better understand the hardware, and whether it is sufficient to truly achieve self driving. The side cameras are angled back, which I presume is to view the blindspot during driving. I do not think that these adequately view cross traffic when trying to make a right or left turn. Traffic which is traveling directly perpendicular to the car when it stopped at an intersection does not appear to be adequately seen by either the front or side cameras. What do you guys think?

Reactions: anthonyduytran
I'm thinking about trading in my 2019 Model 3 for a 2024 S or refreshed 3. Is FSD Beta running on HW4 cars yet? Is it at the same rev as HW3 cars.
FSD for HW4 has been out since roughly September. Never used HW3 FSD before, seen videos and such. Seems to be almost exactly the same. Im running 11.4.9 MYLR at the moment. I think the true test will be when V12 hits for HW4. Currently Teslafi reports 0 HW4 cars on V12 which is sad. HW4 is the future as all new cars are getting it now, but the development for now will lag behind HW3.

Conversely with HW4, it will start to slow down much earlier than HW3 and be much more relaxed feeling.
Basically fewer hard braking situations.
Interesting. This is my take in going from EAP to FSD-beta v11 on HW3. Much more relaxed when approaching slower or stopped traffic. With EAP going 70mph on the fwy, it would just fly along until the last moment at which it COULD stop in time, and then slam on the brakes. Terrifying.

I'm resigned to never having the marketed version on my HW3 car. I will thus never have true FSD as this is my first and last tesla.

Lesson's learned: I like having the USS, so will be looking for that on my next car. And in many ways I miss the radar that was on my car when I bought it so will add that to the list. Given some things were smoother, I suspect HW4 won't be the final stop on the road to actual Full Self Driving. At some point, tesla vision will give way to something that can actually do the job.

• Informative
Reactions: QUBO
One thing I have noticed with my HW4 car on FSD, it is much less settled in the lane than my HW3 car.
It's almost like there is a mild ping pong going on, even on a straight road it is constantly shifting left to right by what feels like maybe six inches or so. Just enough so you're aware of it. Very strange, I may just book a service call for it to see if that's normal.

• Informative
Reactions: seenhear