Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to turn off chargng screen without locking car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At home while charging, the car is in a locked garage and I don't want to lock the car as well. the problem is when I charge at home the bright charging screen remains on the whole time which is detrimental to the screen over time and simply not required. I don't want it on and I don't want to lock the car.

I would prefer t to time out or something....

Is there another way to get the desired result without locking the car?

At home while charging, the car is in a locked garage and I don't want to lock the car as well. the problem is when I charge at home the bright charging screen remains on the whole time which is detrimental to the screen over time and simply not required. I don't want it on and I don't want to lock the car.

Just curious what difference does it make if the car is locked?

Something is not right there. Those two things are not directly related. You can turn off the auto-locking, so it doesn't do that. But the charging screen will not stay lit up forever. Even if it is not locking, if you have the doors closed, the car will turn itself off (including screens) and go idle with the doors still unlocked. At least that's how the Model S and X have always been; I would think the Model 3 does the same. If your car is keeping that screen lit up forever, it seems the car is not turning off. I'm wondering if one of your doors is not getting closed all the way, so it is keeping the car on all the time.

Same here, I pretty much never lock my car. Only time I lock it is when I park it in town. No need at my work or home. In my garage the charging screen will stay lit for hours while charging. Not sure why it can't go blank like it does when it is locked.

Maybe set your screen to night mode so it won’t be bright at all. Then use the App from inside the house to un-lock the car. That’s all I can figure out.

take care

Fred
Creative Fred, one possibility. would rather not have to touch any settings tho.

In answer to others, charging screen remains lit as long as its charging in Model 3 - unless you lock the car. All doors are closed etc. Other Model 3 owners have same complaint.
It should just time out after 15 mins and reactivate if door handle touched

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H