Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to use fog lights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just confirmed that Fog lights are available with Parking lights selected On. That is what I would use if I REALLY needed the Fog lights in fog.

DRLs on the 3 are what Tesla calls "Signature" lights in the top of the headlight lens. They are always on when headlights are off. Parking lights are DRLs, plus dim amber lights in the front turn signal lens, plus tail lights.

I just confirmed that Fog lights are available with Parking lights selected On. That is what I would use if I REALLY needed the Fog lights in fog.

DRLs on the 3 are what Tesla calls "Signature" lights in the top of the headlight lens. They are always on when headlights are off. Parking lights are DRLs, plus dim amber lights in the front turn signal lens, plus tail lights.

I can correct you there. It is one of the model 3 myths.

The DRLs and signature lights are seperate - in fact the SR was meant to come without signature lights.

The DRLs are a little small strip BELOW the signature lights and there are a few conditions where either may be lit. A good example of a situation where only the signature lights are on is when you open the door. the signature lights are the fat white strip on top of the light.

There is a way to get the model 3 to not have the signature lights on but only have the DRLs on. cant remember how to do it though.

I can correct you there. It is one of the model 3 myths.

The DRLs and signature lights are seperate - in fact the SR was meant to come without signature lights.
The manual (p. 54) is a bit confusing on both DRLs and fog lights. DRLs may vary with the country. It also claims the fog lights only operate if the low beam headlights are on, but we have found otherwise. "Signature lights" are only available with the Premium package, but I have yet to check the difference between them and the DRLs:

NOTE: Any exterior lights (for example, daytime running lights) that are required to remain on in your market region will turn on as appropriate when driving, when parked on specific types of roads, etc.

NOTE: If equipped with the premium package, Model 3 has a series of LED lights along the rim of the headlights, also referred to as "signature" lights. These lights automatically turn on whenever Model 3 is powered on and a driving gear (Drive or Reverse) is engaged.
. . .

2. A separate control is available to turn on fog lights (if equipped). When on, fog lights operate whenever low beam headlights are on. When headlights are turned off, fog lights also turn off.

The manual (p. 54) is a bit confusing on both DRLs and fog lights. DRLs may vary with the country. It also claims the fog lights only operate if the low beam headlights are on, but we have found otherwise. "Signature lights" are only available with the Premium package, but I have yet to check the difference between them and the DRLs:

DRLs vs signature lights. same in any country. the signature lights are the fat strip/eyebrow on top of the DRLs which are a thin strip.

funny on the foglight thing - i just checked the german manual and it says exactly the same. it wouldnt really make sense to have foglights without being able to switch the headlights off so Im gonna presume this is a typo.

(moderator note)

I wanted to respond publicly to a report that was made on this thread. The report stated that there was incorrect information contained in this thread, and asked for a moderator to go through and remove / correct incorrect information from certain posts.

That isnt something we do here on TMC. We will remove "inappropriate"posts, which attack a person, or are extremely rude or offensive for one or more reasons, but we are not going to edit posts just because someone posts some information that might be incorrect, unless its shown to be intentionally misleading, etc.

Back and forth discourse (and discussing things and refuting various assertions) is at the core of most forum interactions, as long as it is done respectfully. If someone has posted some incorrect information that is easily proven incorrect, the course of action would be to (politely) disagree with them, and provide backup information for why.

If the discussion back and forth gets rude or personal attacks start, please feel free to report the thread / posts for that, and we will evaluate and take action, if appropriate.

I've never had fog lights on a car.
If they're turned on in the control panel, do they go on with the automatic lights (both go on or off based on lighting conditions)? Do the car cameras sense fog an turn on and off as needed?

I'm not sure how they're supposed to work. I always thought you turned off your headlights and drove with fog lights only (since the headlights bounce back off the fog)

How do they work?
Did you ever get a sufficient answer to your question since the thread wandered off topic?
Software version: 2021.44.30
Fog Lights
A separate control is available to turn on fog lights (if equipped). When on, fog lights operate whenever low beam headlights are on. When headlights are turned off, fog lights also turn off.

Voice Control?? While driving with the low beams on, I've tried with no success:
"Turn on fog lights"|
"Enable fog lights"
Responds with "Command not available yet" or something like that.

So I have to dig deep in the menu while drving in the 6AM fog only to look up to hit the deer I was trying to avoid? I prefer to turn the fog lights on only when needed which means on/off while driving as you hit foggy patches.

Reactions: Transformer
Did you ever get a sufficient answer to your question since the thread wandered off topic?
Software version: 2021.44.30
Fog Lights
A separate control is available to turn on fog lights (if equipped). When on, fog lights operate whenever low beam headlights are on. When headlights are turned off, fog lights also turn off.

Voice Control?? While driving with the low beams on, I've tried with no success:
"Turn on fog lights"|
"Enable fog lights"
Responds with "Command not available yet" or something like that.

So I have to dig deep in the menu while drving in the 6AM fog only to look up to hit the deer I was trying to avoid? I prefer to turn the fog lights on only when needed which means on/off while driving as you hit foggy patches.
I noticed that in the new software update the fog light control is now much easier to access. Basically if you push the left stalk forward (as if you are enabling the high-beams), a lights menu will now appear in the lower left of the screen, and one of the buttons is the fog lights on or off. Much easier to access.

I do somewhat agree with only using fog lights when actually needed, but it seems like you are taking it to an extreme. I mean, when it's potentially foggy, or when going through patchy fog, I would certainly turn on the fog lights, but I would just leave them on for the duration of the trip. I don't think there is any harm in leaving them on even if you are temporarily in a stretch where there is no fog.

What is the rationale for turning them off and on as you go in and out of foggy patches?

Reactions: CanadaBill
What is the rationale for turning them off and on as you go in and out of foggy patches?
It's not the fog lights that need toggling, but rather the headlights. When headlights are on, (either low, or high beam), the light bounces off the fog.
This negates any benefit the fog lights would provide. Fog lights are only effective when the lights are off, or set to Parking lights, as they provide the only illumination.
My preference would be to have a fog light button that not only turns them on, but also turns off the headlights.
Fog lights, when headlights are on in a fog, are useless (try it sometime, you'll see)

Reactions: Candleflame
I noticed that in the new software update the fog light control is now much easier to access. Basically if you push the left stalk forward (as if you are enabling the high-beams), a lights menu will now appear in the lower left of the screen, and one of the buttons is the fog lights on or off. Much easier to access.

I do somewhat agree with only using fog lights when actually needed, but it seems like you are taking it to an extreme. I mean, when it's potentially foggy, or when going through patchy fog, I would certainly turn on the fog lights, but I would just leave them on for the duration of the trip. I don't think there is any harm in leaving them on even if you are temporarily in a stretch where there is no fog.

Hi RTPEV; I just treat the fog lights similar to the wipers or defroster with a simple rationale....... I like to turn them on as I encounter the need...... Where I live, it could be clear when leaving the house but super dark or foggy commuting through some forested areas or whatever. Then, turn them off when I hit the highway again..... Nothing special, I'm not into the big debate ensuing with others here.... just simply it may not be raining when I leave the house, it may not be foggy etc. so I just like to be able to quickly toggle whatever I need..... safely too! I'm sure others have been caught in an immediate downpour where you have to go from 0 to full speed wipers in an instant or clear visibility to 'where did this fog come from'....... It's dangerous to poke around a screen at that moment......

Also agree.... no harm in just leaving them on...

Hi RTPEV; I just treat the fog lights similar to the wipers or defroster with a simple rationale....... I like to turn them on as I encounter the need...... Where I live, it could be clear when leaving the house but super dark or foggy commuting through some forested areas or whatever. Then, turn them off when I hit the highway again..... Nothing special, I'm not into the big debate ensuing with others here.... just simply it may not be raining when I leave the house, it may not be foggy etc. so I just like to be able to quickly toggle whatever I need..... safely too! I'm sure others have been caught in an immediate downpour where you have to go from 0 to full speed wipers in an instant or clear visibility to 'where did this fog come from'....... It's dangerous to poke around a screen at that moment......

Also agree.... no harm in just leaving them on...
Sure, I do the same. It's not usually obvious that you need the fog lights until you approach a situation where they are required.

Yes, I agree that fumbling through the menu (at least the way it used to be) is potentially dangerous, usually at a time when you need to be most attentive to the road. But once I activate the fog lights on a trip, I would not bother turning them off until the end of the trip. I guess I don't see the point of bothering with at all until I can safely turn them off and there is practically zero chance of needing them again.

Sure, I do the same. It's not usually obvious that you need the fog lights until you approach a situation where they are required.

Yes, I agree that fumbling through the menu (at least the way it used to be) is potentially dangerous, usually at a time when you need to be most attentive to the road. But once I activate the fog lights on a trip, I would not bother turning them off until the end of the trip. I guess I don't see the point of bothering with at all until I can safely turn them off and there is practically zero chance of needing them again.
If you see a red M3LR swerving in the fog during a trip down to Raleigh, you'll know it's me searching for the fog light button!!!

It's not the fog lights that need toggling, but rather the headlights. When headlights are on, (either low, or high beam), the light bounces off the fog.
This negates any benefit the fog lights would provide. Fog lights are only effective when the lights are off, or set to Parking lights, as they provide the only illumination.
My preference would be to have a fog light button that not only turns them on, but also turns off the headlights.
Fog lights, when headlights are on in a fog, are useless (try it sometime, you'll see)

finally someone here who is talking sense about foglights!

I don't need a debate on the need for fog lights, etc.
I’m only interested in learning how to use fog lights (see first post)

I tried this morning to turn off lights, and selected fog lights. Nothing happened. When lights were on auto, I could toggle fog lights on and off, but that seems counter intuitive, as I believe fog lights are instead of, not in addition to main lights.
Is it possible to use fog lights only, if so, how.

Not trying? You absolutely tried and succeeded!
I get it, no need to keep repeating…Americans are bunch of idiots that don’t know how to drive, and Australians are superior drivers.
In the UK foglights should be used with dipped beam headlights not instead of. They should if wired correctly NOT be able to be switched on unless dipped beam is active. This includes front & rear fog lights, every country has it’s own regulations though.

In the UK foglights should be used with dipped beam headlights not instead of. They should if wired correctly NOT be able to be switched on unless dipped beam is active. This includes front & rear fog lights, every country has it’s own regulations though.
AFAIK, the laws in the US are the same; at least they were/are in all the states where i have had licenses. However, it appears Tesla has overlooked the Parking Lights case, and I hope they DON'T "fix" it!

Reactions: Gwgan

that defeats the purpose of fog lights and highway code is very clear that you can use foglights with or without dipped beams (the former doesnt quite make sense except on older cars with crappy headlights though)