Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to use fog lights?

jrweiss98020

Tessa's Tesla
Jan 9, 2020
Edmonds, WA
I just confirmed that Fog lights are available with Parking lights selected On. That is what I would use if I REALLY needed the Fog lights in fog.

DRLs on the 3 are what Tesla calls "Signature" lights in the top of the headlight lens. They are always on when headlights are off. Parking lights are DRLs, plus dim amber lights in the front turn signal lens, plus tail lights.

Candleflame

Mar 9, 2015
QLD, Australia
I just confirmed that Fog lights are available with Parking lights selected On. That is what I would use if I REALLY needed the Fog lights in fog.

DRLs on the 3 are what Tesla calls "Signature" lights in the top of the headlight lens. They are always on when headlights are off. Parking lights are DRLs, plus dim amber lights in the front turn signal lens, plus tail lights.

I can correct you there. It is one of the model 3 myths.

The DRLs and signature lights are seperate - in fact the SR was meant to come without signature lights.

The DRLs are a little small strip BELOW the signature lights and there are a few conditions where either may be lit. A good example of a situation where only the signature lights are on is when you open the door. the signature lights are the fat white strip on top of the light.

There is a way to get the model 3 to not have the signature lights on but only have the DRLs on. cant remember how to do it though.

jrweiss98020

Tessa's Tesla
Jan 9, 2020
Edmonds, WA
I can correct you there. It is one of the model 3 myths.

The DRLs and signature lights are seperate - in fact the SR was meant to come without signature lights.
The manual (p. 54) is a bit confusing on both DRLs and fog lights. DRLs may vary with the country. It also claims the fog lights only operate if the low beam headlights are on, but we have found otherwise. "Signature lights" are only available with the Premium package, but I have yet to check the difference between them and the DRLs:

NOTE: Any exterior lights (for example, daytime running lights) that are required to remain on in your market region will turn on as appropriate when driving, when parked on specific types of roads, etc.

NOTE: If equipped with the premium package, Model 3 has a series of LED lights along the rim of the headlights, also referred to as "signature" lights. These lights automatically turn on whenever Model 3 is powered on and a driving gear (Drive or Reverse) is engaged.
. . .

2. A separate control is available to turn on fog lights (if equipped). When on, fog lights operate whenever low beam headlights are on. When headlights are turned off, fog lights also turn off.

Candleflame

Mar 9, 2015
QLD, Australia
The manual (p. 54) is a bit confusing on both DRLs and fog lights. DRLs may vary with the country. It also claims the fog lights only operate if the low beam headlights are on, but we have found otherwise. "Signature lights" are only available with the Premium package, but I have yet to check the difference between them and the DRLs:

DRLs vs signature lights. same in any country. the signature lights are the fat strip/eyebrow on top of the DRLs which are a thin strip.

funny on the foglight thing - i just checked the german manual and it says exactly the same. it wouldnt really make sense to have foglights without being able to switch the headlights off so Im gonna presume this is a typo.

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
(moderator note)

I wanted to respond publicly to a report that was made on this thread. The report stated that there was incorrect information contained in this thread, and asked for a moderator to go through and remove / correct incorrect information from certain posts.

That isnt something we do here on TMC. We will remove "inappropriate"posts, which attack a person, or are extremely rude or offensive for one or more reasons, but we are not going to edit posts just because someone posts some information that might be incorrect, unless its shown to be intentionally misleading, etc.

Back and forth discourse (and discussing things and refuting various assertions) is at the core of most forum interactions, as long as it is done respectfully. If someone has posted some incorrect information that is easily proven incorrect, the course of action would be to (politely) disagree with them, and provide backup information for why.

If the discussion back and forth gets rude or personal attacks start, please feel free to report the thread / posts for that, and we will evaluate and take action, if appropriate.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC