Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How was your model 3 quality when you took delivery?

Quality poll

• Mine must have been inspected by Elon himself.

Votes: 43 22.9%
  • Mine appeared to have been inspected by a veteran QC tech.

Votes: 91 48.4%
  • Mine appeared to have been inspected by a drunk QC tech

Votes: 31 16.5%
  • The QC inspector of my car probably got fired

Votes: 8 4.3%
  • The QC inspector must have been absent when my car was finished

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • What QC inspection?

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • The QC inspector must be the spouse of the person I had an affair with

Votes: 12 6.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No issues at all during delivery. Heck, I even got a decent amount of time with the Tesla rep (but that was before they seriously reigned in the amount of time they could spend per customer). Even after delivery, I could not find any flaws with gaps, paint flaws or anything.

When was that? We picked ours up last month and the DA spent a little over an hour going over the car with us. Thought it’d be best for my wife to get their advice and input vs my dumb a@@ ..... :)

Didn’t feel rushed in any way, shape or form.

I had a relatively good delivery experience. My delivery person was in a hurry, but they did give me all the time to look around and explained everything I needed to know about the car. The inside was a bit dirty though, which threw me off guard. My husband saved the day by cleaning off the black smudges off of the car panel. The only issue I am having now is a rattle from the front end of the car. They ordered parts for me and I am waiting for them to come in. Something about the windshield. The noise to me sounded like it was flowing through the Frunk. All in All I love the car and would do it all over again. I think the overall experience was touch and go because they were trying to meet their quota and they got rid of the midrange mid order.

IMG_1172.jpeg
We have three Model 3's in this household.

December 2017 had a few minor issues quickly fixed: Door handle did not spring back into door every time, a tiny rattle in rear A/C duct, one Aero cap was wobbly. All was fixed with one visit to service center. No issues since.

February 2018: Zero issues ever.

June 2018: Zero issues ever.

While I appreciate a personalized delivery process, the reality is that they are under a lot of stress to sell m3's and now, roll out 1,000 cars a day in Fremont.

Here's what I experienced:

chipped front fascia
contaminant in the paint clear coat
misaligned body parts (doors, front fascia, trunk at c-pillar)
misaligned headlamps, not flush with front fascia
missing wheel well plastic nuts to hold the fiber-like wheel well covers
rubber door surrounds seems to be "sagging" and needs glue
7.1 software (for a 4/19 car?)

In all fairness, all of this is listed on a duebill and they are taking care of these issues for me.

While I appreciate a personalized delivery process, the reality is that they are under a lot of stress to sell m3's and now, roll out 1,000 cars a day in Fremont.

Here's what I experienced:

chipped front fascia
contaminant in the paint clear coat
misaligned body parts (doors, front fascia, trunk at c-pillar)
misaligned headlamps, not flush with front fascia
missing wheel well plastic nuts to hold the fiber-like wheel well covers
rubber door surrounds seems to be "sagging" and needs glue
7.1 software (for a 4/19 car?)

In all fairness, all of this is listed on a duebill and they are taking care of these issues for me.
4/19 delivery is not even end of quarter rush period...

Reactions: SammichLover
I'm scheduled to take delivery early next week and can't wait! I don't want to follow that absurdly long inspection list that was part of the article posted earlier in the thread. How did you approach the delivery process? How long did you take?
I picked mine up a week and a half ago. I read through the check lists ahead of time, but didn't go item by item when I inspected. But they gave me a good idea of where to look for issues. I spent probably 35 minutes or so inspecting the car. Took another 20 to fix two minor issues.

You can always choose to buy an Enclave or a BMW and drive them rather than a Tesla. Stop trying to convince those of us who are extremely satisfied with the cars that Tesla is building that we are missing some quality issue or to care about your issues in the same way that you do. We voted with our wallets and you get to also. We don't have to agree with one another. I, for one, used to be a huge BMW fanboy -- back when they were legitimately driver's cars. The P3D dumps all over every currently made BMW from a driving standpoint and that matters far more to me than an extra millimeter panel gap here and there -- although as I said in my previous post, BMW also has "panel gap issues" -- that I also wouldn't care much about if they were still actually the Ultimate Driving Machine rather than the Ultimate Marketing Hype.

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything ---- I just wish people were more objective and encouraged Tesla to continually strive to improve to the point where the phrase "they're a startup company" never has to be uttered in their defense

You can always choose to buy an Enclave or a BMW and drive them rather than a Tesla. Stop trying to convince those of us who are extremely satisfied with the cars that Tesla is building that we are missing some quality issue or to care about your issues in the same way that you do. We voted with our wallets and you get to also. We don't have to agree with one another. I, for one, used to be a huge BMW fanboy -- back when they were legitimately driver's cars. The P3D dumps all over every currently made BMW from a driving standpoint and that matters far more to me than an extra millimeter panel gap here and there -- although as I said in my previous post, BMW also has "panel gap issues" -- that I also wouldn't care much about if they were still actually the Ultimate Driving Machine rather than the Ultimate Marketing Hype.
Panel Gaps are an issue, this is what the car I accepted looked like. You should have seen the first one :(.
DoorGap.jpg
IMG_20181016_174802.jpg
IMG_20181016_174904.jpg
IMG_20181029_233052.jpg
IMG_20181029_233039.jpg
IMG_20181016_174822.jpg
IMG_20181016_174828.jpg
IMG_20181201_140254.jpg

Not acceptable for a $73,000 car.

Then another 5 or so service visits to fix all the things they broke while fixing these issues (Scratched windows, broken clips, improperly re-installed harnesses etc.

Panel Gaps are an issue, this is what the car I accepted looked like. You should have seen the first one :(.
View attachment 413393 View attachment 413397 View attachment 413398 View attachment 413399 View attachment 413400 View attachment 413401 View attachment 413402 View attachment 413403

Not acceptable for a $73,000 car.

Then another 5 or so service visits to fix all the things they broke while fixing these issues (Scratched windows, broken clips, improperly re-installed harnesses etc.

Very bad. I would have rejected that one and waited for another one to come along.

Very bad. I would have rejected that one and waited for another one to come along.
Yea except I had already sold my car weeks ago and was borrowing a vehicle for like a month, and I had already rejected the first car, so was wondering if I would even get the tax credit before the end of the year. I was spending like $400-$500 a month on gas and my loan rate was expiring and going to increase my .75% and I was going to have to go through the approval process again.

This was the second one they tried to give me, the first one was worse. Nothing like waiting a year n 1/2, buying a temporary car, selling it. Having your delivery delayed a month, and this is the car they try to give you.

IMG_20181003_171749.jpg
IMG_20181003_171848.jpg
IMG_20181003_172606.jpg

Yea except I had already sold my car weeks ago and was borrowing a vehicle for like a month, and I had already rejected the first car, so was wondering if I would even get the tax credit before the end of the year. I was spending like $400-$500 a month on gas and my loan rate was expiring and going to increase my .75% and I was going to have to go through the approval process again.

This was the second one they tried to give me, the first one was worse. Nothing like waiting a year n 1/2, buying a temporary car, selling it. Having your delivery delayed a month, and this is the car they try to give you.

View attachment 413414 View attachment 413415 View attachment 413416

I get it. I just don’t understand how a car like that is allowed to leave the factory.

I get it. I just don’t understand how a car like that is allowed to leave the factory.
My guess is the delivery center / transport damaged it.
Panel gaps were better on this one, but the repaint areas were much more obvious than the the second one. And they did end up fixing the panel gaps (although I probably should have done it myself, and just had them repaint the scratch on the inside)

Exterior paint excellent except for excessive orange peel on the front bumper, have to take care of that myself when I have the time. Panel gaps actually fine as well, but chrome door trim alignment is bad though. That's where you see this is no euro made Volkswagen (best build in the industry).

A colleague with family members working Fremont plant said many in the factory just let the defects slip through to meet the numbers.

That's exactly it. Overworked employees in Fremont trying to hit the 900 (now 1000) car/day quota. Get the product out, and someone else (Tesla Delivery and/or Customer Experience) will deal with the aftermath. They're rolling the dice in that some buyers may not notice or even care about quality issues.

For the amount of money we all spent on our cars, for me, nothing short of BMW/Lexus/Honda/MBZ quality control/tolerances is acceptable imho.