Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How was your model 3 quality when you took delivery?

Quality poll

• Mine must have been inspected by Elon himself.

Votes: 43 22.9%
  • Mine appeared to have been inspected by a veteran QC tech.

Votes: 91 48.4%
  • Mine appeared to have been inspected by a drunk QC tech

Votes: 31 16.5%
  • The QC inspector of my car probably got fired

Votes: 8 4.3%
  • The QC inspector must have been absent when my car was finished

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • What QC inspection?

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • The QC inspector must be the spouse of the person I had an affair with

Votes: 12 6.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The sad part is that a small island nation like Japan was always more suited to EVs so Toyotas efforts were a waste from the beginning.

The entire hard-on around fuel cells is tied to the idea of repurposing existing fueling infrastructure and converting it from gasoline to hydrogen.

That seemed like a great idea 10 years ago when the idea of a car getting nearly 300 real world miles out of a charge and charging back up in 45-60 minutes seemed like a fairy tale.

If someone is absolutely convinced that people will only buy an electric car if it has directly comparable range and refuel times to ICE cars then they are still betting on fuel cells but those people seem to be few and far between outside of Toyota these days.

Not personal ones, AKA "cars", probably. They might have some potential on buses, short-haul freight, and maybe boats. Basically where volume doesn't matter, there's lots of size, and you've got a highly hub-centric path of traffic.

If Japan can't make H2 fuel cells work nobody will be able to, so Toyota's initial bet on it wasn't total madness. It is looking bleaker as time passes, though.

I think a Toyota hybrid with 100 miles of battery range(with Toyota's solid state battery), and 500+ miles of hydrogen range, can be a viable combo.

You hit it on the head. Now go post it into the investor forum where they live in a bubble and can't possibly comprehend how Tesla's poor QC (they also fired their QC team "didn't need em") affects perception of their premium priced product.

I have had literally dozens of people ask me how I like my Tesla and I tell all of them the same thing. Nothing drives as well as a Tesla Model 3 anywhere near its price range but virtually any car in the same price range (BMW, Merc, Audi) will have higher assembly quality, better paint, fewer defects and a far more competent staff by way of a massive dealer network for correcting the service issues that do show up.

Shouldn't be a secret as to why they lost $700M in Q1 and TSLA stock is at a 52 week low. The "we will build it and they will come" attitude needs to change, starting from the top.

Reactions: Leafdriver333
Shouldn't be a secret as to why they lost $700M in Q1 and TSLA stock is at a 52 week low. The "we will build it and they will come" attitude needs to change, starting from the top.

Musk did say new orders for Q2 have been robust enough, with 50k+ so far with one month to go. So may be new customers are mainly from non-premium brands, and are not deterred by non-premium quality.

Building fewer cars and concentrating more on QC would have made the loss even larger.

Probably true but this is not how you build brand loyalty. Tesla should be bending over backwards to make those impacted by poor QC whole but instead you get marginal service and whining about how warranty repairs for things like sloppy construction hurt Tesla’s bottom line.

One thing I know for sure is that when I shop for a new car in 3-5 years time Tesla won’t be the only game in town.

I’m interested in a model Y but only if I drive before I buy.

Reactions: cadetsea
Building fewer cars and concentrating more on QC would have made the loss even larger.
Sounds a bit shortsighted. If Tesla gets tarnished by a strong reputation of poor build quality, a la Ford Pintos in the 70s (and more recently the Mazda rust scandals), those losses will become stickier and stickier as time goes on...

Unhappy customers are far louder than happy customers. It doesn't take very many to start tipping the scales of public perception.

Tesla is still running on the edge, they need to stay in hyper growth mode till they can keep their head above water. I don't like it but that seems to be where they're at. To your point Ford and Mazda survived those incidents, along with a number of other companies with terrible reliability ratings.

This point is based solely on what owners have posted on this forum:

We are all delighted that some/many/most writers (not sure which) are satisfied with their M3's. That is encouraging.

But too many owners still write about poor QC from the factory.
The inconsistency is troubling and exactly why I downgraded from "WANT" to NEED." And I do not "need" a new car right now.
Some seems to get vehicles with few issues .... and other reject the vehicle before taking delivery because of so many blemishes.
Is that inconsistent QC? .. or, are some owners just not as critical of blemishes as others? Not sure.

Based on a number of postings, it seem that QC has improved somewhat.
When the first big production push came (8-10 months ago), improvements in QC seems to have been put on hold ..... production trumped QC. Many wrote about corporates decision to let the SC's correct the QC defects.
Prior to that, the SC's were receiving rave reviews .... writers could not say enough good things about the SC's.
But the SC's soon became overwhelmed, and there are not as many praiseworthy reports as there once were.

We all want Tesla not only to survive .... but to become a corporate success; a manufacturer of quality automobiles; and whose investors are rewarded with financial gain.

Tesla is still running on the edge, they need to stay in hyper growth mode till they can keep their head above water. I don't like it but that seems to be where they're at. To your point Ford and Mazda survived those incidents, along with a number of other companies with terrible reliability ratings.

Another angle to this is, given the drastic price cuts(and more can be on the way), Tesla is moving from premium to econ sectors, so QC and customer service do not rank high on Tesla's priorities.

Zero issues then and zero issues 8 months later. My VIN was 78XXX with August 2018 build date.

To help offset all of the negative posts, I had an excellent order experience and delivery experience. Everyone I talked to in the Raleigh NC sales office were knowledgeable, enthusiastic and very nice.
Just picked up my 3P today - very impressed with the Raleigh folks. I think my 3P is the cleanest car I've ever bought. (Includes new BMW/MBs)