Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How well does Autopilot work compared to the competition?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone more knowledgeable than I am please correct, but I rcall hearing that the reason Tesla isn’t on this list is because they do not (yet) claim to have a fully autonomous vehicle, even in prototype. (Yes I have seen the fully autonomous video.)
They're not on the list because of what Tesla states in https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/connect/f965670d-6c03-46a9-9109-0c187adebbf2/Tesla.pdf?MOD=AJPERES.

Testing of Autonomous Vehicles near the bottom has pointers to CA Autonomous Vehicle Disengagement Reports for 2015 thru 2017. Be sure to compare players like Tesla, Waymo/Google and Cruise Automation... Keep in mind Tesla and Waymo/Google are headquartered in the SF Bay Area, which is a hotbed of software engineering talent.

It appears the activity in 2016 (https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/c...a/Tesla_disengage_report_2016.pdf?MOD=AJPERES) was for the publicity stunt video at Tesla Self-Driving Demonstration, as CA DMV Report Sheds New Light On Misleading Tesla Autonomous Drive Video - DailyKanban points out.

Waymo and GM still lead the pack in California’s new self-driving report cards sums up the amount of # of autonomous miles driven on CA public roads in 2017. For Tesla, it was 0.

Last edited:
2018 Nissan Leaf & ProPILOT Assist - Hands on has a brief comparison of Leaf's ProPilot Assist with an unstated version of Autopilot.

That person is still new to the '18 Leaf though. And, '18 Leaf hasn't been on sale in the US for very long. Seems like they finally started showing up at US showroom in the past 2 weeks or so. Car's been on sale in Japan since Oct 2017.
On this note, someone posted this video to the Seattle Leaf FB group:

It's 19.5 minutes and I haven't watched more than 30 seconds of it yet.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuN8D-xz08dJGWXVDMEIA1A
AutoNetwork
Published on Dec 12, 2017
2018 Nissan LEAF electric was introduced to invited journalists in San Francisco, CA. and Yountsville, CA 12.7-8.17. The Pro Pilot Assist features were presented by Andy Christensen, Technical Center.

I drove a handful of driver assistance vehicles before buying my Tesla. To be honest, I wasn't that stoked about buying a Tesla, but the way the system worked for my commute won me over. My commute is a 90-minute mix of 2-lane roads and 6-lane highway, with plenty of curvy roads and mostly good markings.

1. Audi A6 (not the new A8 L3) Designed for freeway travel. We couldn't get it to engage on city streets. Wouldn't operate below 30 MPG.

2. Honda Adaptive Cruise/Lane Keep: Also designed for freeway. Kept the lane well. Wouldn't operate below 30 MPG.

3. Volvo: Dealer was really excited about new system. Really spotty engagement on city streets. Literally ran us off the road without warning. We tested a couple of times in the same spot, same result. Salesman was really disappointed.

4. Mercedes adaptive cruise and lane keep (2015 vehicle): Rudimentary, but effective. Does not like turns, mainly good for staying in lane on long straight freeways.

5. Nissan Pro Pilot (2018 Leaf): Kept in center of lane better than any vehicle tested. Solid, confident feeling. Requires a cruise "resume" after every 3 seconds of stop time when in stop and go traffic. Asinine design decision crippled what seems to be an otherwise competent system.

6. Tesla (Model X, AP2, 10.4): Worked with high confidence on city and freeway streets. "Just works" brilliantly in stop and go, including a relaxation of "hands on" requirements during extended periods at low speeds. Has a strong tendency to ride the left side of the lane, which is unsettling on 2-lane roads. Intuitive interactive design. Still doesn't handle the sharpest clover leaf on-ramps and tries to drive through the middle of roundabouts.

All told, on my 90 minute commute, I have to intervene maybe 5-6 times with the Tesla, which was much better than competing systems. I could do without all the accouterments of a high priced vehicle, but for self-driving Tesla was a clear winner. If not by sophistication of their system (Nissan feels more capable), then by Tesla's smart implementation and design decisions for the feature.

Last edited:
Yeah, my sister has the new Honda system and when she heard I had a Tesla she started talking about how great her system is, but when she got in the Model 3 and I just handed control over to the car she was freakin' out! Why are your hands not on the wheel?? She told her kids Hey you gotta check Uncle Randy's car out! I drove the 3000+ miles to Colorado and back using the EAP 99% of the time. I have not seen any other car maker getting posts and vlogs about the semi-self driving capabilities on trips the way Tesla has. Mostly hear about their features from the manufacturers themselves.

Glad this thread exists to capture some of the competing capabilities, glad this thread seems back on track.

-Randy

I drove a handful of driver assistance vehicles before buying my Tesla. To be honest, I wasn't that stoked about buying a Tesla, but the way the system worked for my commute won me over. My commute is a 90-minute mix of 2-lane roads and 6-lane highway, with plenty of curvy roads and mostly good markings.
... If not by sophistication of their system (Nissan feels more capable), then by Tesla's smart implementation and design decisions for the feature.
Nice summary, thanks for the info. Are any car makers other than Tesla updating their software as it gets better? That seems like a pretty big selling point to me (I tend to keep cars a long time).

This may be a bit off topic but how would insurance tie in to auto-drive?

If one gets into an accident on auto-drive, is it the driver's fault? If so would personal or commercial insurance only cover this, if either one?

Especially if one own's a business, and say a fleet of tesla's just because are being used (rich neighborhood thing)

This article states a few of the clauses not covered, such as driving someone else's car and it being damaged.

Wondering about everyone's thoughts on this and as it relates to auto-drive.

Since switching to Google Wifi I can see how much data is being downloaded and uploaded to my Tesla.

For 1 day (today) it is showing 27mb download and 19mb upload.
For 7 days is is showing 1.8gb download and 524mb upload.
For 30 days it is showing 2.1gb download and 2.2gb upload

2018.21.9 was installed on June 11, 2018 at 8:46pm so that would be part of the last 7 days.

Any idea what all of this means. I think I understand upload if related to NN but what is the download. Updates to Maps? Updates to NN?

When I looked in the past before 2018.21.9 it seemed to average 12mb upload and download per day.

Just curious.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
How does the Ford co-pilot360 compare to these systems?

1. Audi A6 (not the new A8 L3) Designed for freeway travel. We couldn't get it to engage on city streets. Wouldn't operate below 30 MPG.

2. Honda Adaptive Cruise/Lane Keep: Also designed for freeway. Kept the lane well. Wouldn't operate below 30 MPG.

3. Volvo: Dealer was really excited about new system. Really spotty engagement on city streets. Literally ran us off the road without warning. We tested a couple of times in the same spot, same result. Salesman was really disappointed.

4. Mercedes adaptive cruise and lane keep (2015 vehicle): Rudimentary, but effective. Does not like turns, mainly good for staying in lane on long straight freeways.

5. Nissan Pro Pilot (2018 Leaf): Kept in center of lane better than any vehicle tested. Solid, confident feeling. Requires a cruise "resume" after every 3 seconds of stop time when in stop and go traffic. Asinine design decision crippled what seems to be an otherwise competent system.

6. Tesla (Model X, AP2, 10.4): Worked with high confidence on city and freeway streets. "Just works" brilliantly in stop and go, including a relaxation of "hands on" requirements during extended periods at low speeds. Has a strong tendency to ride the left side of the lane, which is unsettling on 2-lane roads. Intuitive interactive design. Still doesn't handle the sharpest clover leaf on-ramps and tries to drive through the middle of roundabouts.

All told, on my 90 minute commute, I have to intervene maybe 5-6 times with the Tesla, which was much better than competing systems. I could do without all the accouterments of a high priced vehicle, but for self-driving Tesla was a clear winner. If not by sophistication of their system (Nissan feels more capable), then by Tesla's smart implementation and design decisions for the feature.

I drove a handful of driver assistance vehicles before buying my Tesla. ...

@Keylimesoda - now 6+months later now with v9 and other OTA enhancements vs the competing cars systems which are (mostly?) unchanged in functionality. Still happy with your decision?