Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How will Tesla demo FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’d be best if AK did the talking IMO. Last thing we need is more woo-woo from the woo-woo man :)

Yeah, I do hope to hear more from Karpathy. After all, he is the machine learning expert and he is the person in charge of the entire autopilot/FSD development. I even mentioned awhile back that I consider Karpathy the real person in charge and responsible for FSD, not Musk.

Reactions: T-Will
It will include a demo of the Tesla Network App where the investors will be able to summon the car and then sit behind the wheel, but hopefully not need to take over.

It will also include an automated Supercharging session.

Reactions: PaulJohn
Waymo has demoed a lot already

A bit of a point on that, though. All of Waymo's demos that involve it driving itself is done with a minder, and that minder takes over much more often than you might imagine. A few outlets even made a point to call Waymo out during their last self driving press day because the cars effectively refused to turn left onto roadways without an operator taking over. That makes them entirely not self driving.

They all seem to be able to be adequate line follow robots on the highway, though. Which is fine for driver assist.

A bit of a point on that, though. All of Waymo's demos that involve it driving itself is done with a minder, and that minder takes over much more often than you might imagine. A few outlets even made a point to call Waymo out during their last self driving press day because the cars effectively refused to turn left onto roadways without an operator taking over. That makes them entirely not self driving.

They all seem to be able to be adequate line follow robots on the highway, though. Which is fine for driver assist.
Yeah, their demo looks way better than the reality! Someone should make a list of all the impressive self-driving demos on YouTube. There are probably a dozen companies that have awesome self driving demos. And that's just the American companies, there are probably a dozen more in China.

Here are my guesses for next week:

1. FSD demo driving around city streets
2. Enhanced Summon at a human-level speed
3. Automated Supercharger hardware
4. Tesla Network app demo (possibly starting out as an Uber/Lyft competitor that uses human drivers)

That would amazing!! I am curious about the automated supercharger hardware since we have not heard a peep about it in like 3 years since that first little prototype video.

1. FSD demo driving around city streets
They already did this in 2016.
2. Enhanced Summon at a human-level speed
No way this gets released if it still requires human monitoring.
3. Automated Supercharger hardware
What is the benefit of this? Takes like 10 seconds to plug into a supercharger and superchargers are already broken all the time. Seems like a maintenance nightmare. They should take that money and work on expanding the supercharger network.
4. Tesla Network app demo (possibly starting out as an Uber/Lyft competitor that uses human drivers)
Why would Tesla want to get in to a money losing business?

I'm trying to keep my expectations extremely low so that I might be pleasantly surprised :D

They already did this in 2016.

Not quite since the 2016 demo was done on previous software and most likely edited. The April 22 will be live test drives and will feature the current software.

What is the benefit of this? Takes like 10 seconds to plug into a supercharger and superchargers are already broken all the time. Seems like a maintenance nightmare. They should take that money and work on expanding the supercharger network.

Automated superchargers are not meant for people to use. They are intended for driverless cars. The supercharger needs to be able to charge the car on its own since there is human to do the charging. Putting aside the fact that Tesla does not have driverless cars yet. If they think that they are going to have full autonomy, it is certainly something they would need to do.

Why would Tesla want to get in to a money losing business?

Not sure why it would be a money losing business. What money is Tesla spending to run it? They've already sold you the car. Tesla just needs to take their cut.

Not quite since the 2016 demo was done on previous software and most likely edited. The April 22 will be live test drives and will feature the current software.
This will only show that Tesla is still stuck at the exact same spot that everyone else is stuck at, the ability to do impressive demos. We shall see.

Automated superchargers are not meant for people to use. They are intended for driverless cars. The supercharger needs to be able to charge the car on its own since there is human to do the charging.
It will be interesting to see how they deal with lines at the supercharger. I'm definitely going to be cutting in front of any driverless cars I see :p

Not sure why it would be a money losing business. What money is Tesla spending to run it? They've already sold you the car. Tesla just needs to take their cut.
Uber and Lyft also don't own vehicles and yet they still lose money. Obviously if the cars are actually driverless you could make WAY more than $10k a year.

yAdD2gR.png

I was right AGAIN they will try to pull something like this

• Informative
A self-driving demo done on non-production expensive hardware is not as impressive compared to a similar demo using a stock mass-produced M3 vehicle though.

There's no difference. SDC are all about software. the reason it doesn't exist today is not because there's no hardware or difference in hardware or whether hardware is being sold to customers.

There's no difference. SDC are all about software. the reason it doesn't exist today is not because there's no hardware or difference in hardware or whether hardware is being sold to customers.
The difference is significant. Expensive lidars makes the object detection part of the solution much easier to accomplish, hence you can show progress faster to the public and the investors.

But there's a backside, either you have to adapt your hardware to be mass-producable at a reasonable cost and esthetics (nobody wants a box on the roof). Or you have to adapt your software to use cheaper hardware/cameras, which is not a simple task (if it was, why bother with the expensive hardware suite in the first place?).

yAdD2gR.png

I was right AGAIN they will try to pull something like this

So, Tesla is conducting a real driverless FSD demo and that's not good enough for you because you think it will be on a pre-mapped road like in the video (even though there is nothing in that tweet to suggest that)? Or is it that they are recording a video of it? I am confused. How are you right again?

By the way, leave it to you to take a tweet suggesting that Tesla has real FSD and somehow still turn it in to a "I was right that they don't have FSD".

The fact is that if Tesla pulls off a driverless demo of their FSD on a main road that will be damned impressive!

Thinking about it some more, if all they announce is that EAP/NoAP won't saw away at the wheel while driving around a curve, it will not only improve my user experience, but it will drive better than it ever has before. I absolutely can't stand being in cars with people that do this, and the fact my car does it on its own makes me rage. What good is a computer if it doesn't judge the curve with higher precision than a person?

That said, I still use the function every time I'm on the highway alone.

• Love
Reactions: croman