Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How will you refer to your Model 3?

How will you refer to your Tesla Model 3?

• Model 3

Votes: 73 54.5%
  • M3

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Tesla 3

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Tesla

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other

Votes: 18 13.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had to do some real convincing to get my wife, Gretchen, to let me put down the reservation deposit as she does not share my fascination with electric cars and Tesla. But she reluctantly said OK, and at zero hour I gave tesla.com my credit card info.

Then I asked her if she would like to watch the reveal. She did, and her jaw dropped when she saw the car, and she watched many of the ride videos and has become an enthralled fan.

So at my house, "our" Tesla Model ≡ will be referred to as "Gretchen's car."

Yes, we had a similar experience, except my husband was the one that needed to be convinced. ;)

Reactions: Red Sage
I've owned two M3's, so definitely not the "M3", which would just be confusing and is sacrilegious to the heritage of the E30 M3.

I agree, having owned and E36 M3. "The M3" will always mean BMW to me. Sometimes the model works better for a car, "The Volt" or "The Miata". Sometimes the make does: "The Honda", "The Tesla".

"The Tesla": yeah I like the sound of that! :D Too bad I have to wait two d**n years to say it! :(

I really dislike the M3 nomenclature. My brain automatically associates it with the original BMW M3. The Tesla should have its own name. Tesla 3, T3, something unique.
Because of this exactly, I have been trying to make a transition on this forum from what I used to say (MS, MX) to just (S, X, 3). M3 doesn't work and it's confusing to those of us who grew up paying a lot of attention to the BMW M3.

Reactions: longshadows
Currently if I'm just referring to my car I say "the Tesla". If I'm telling somebody what kind of car I have I say a Tesla Model S. I imagine that will continue when I replace it with a Model 3. I certainly never say the MS right now and I can't imagine ever saying the M3 in the future.

I am a decent typist. So, even on my phone, or on a tablet, I take the time to write out 'Model S', 'Model X', or 'Model ☰'. I despise the 'M3' designation, and never really liked the 'MS' or 'MX' shortcuts. Mostly because people keep putting the numbers or performance spec in weird places in relation to them, so it takes longer to figure out what they are talking about... Worst of these is probably 'P85S'...

Reactions: longshadows
I am a decent typist. So, even on my phone, or on a tablet, I take the time to write out 'Model S', 'Model X', or 'Model ☰'. I despise the 'M3' designation, and never really liked the 'MS' or 'MX' shortcuts. Mostly because people keep putting the numbers or performance spec in weird places in relation to them, so it takes longer to figure out what they are talking about... Worst of these is probably 'P85S'...

Totally agree about the destinations used. Too chaotic. Very unTesla-like system.