Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How would you prefer to pay for Supercharging?

Not asking what you think will happen; How would you prefer to pay for supercharging?

• ~$2k at purchase. 'Free' forever

Votes: 189 46.6%
  • Pay per (insert whatever here); Assume cost is similar to 50mpg car ~$6/150 miles

Votes: 217 53.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Might not be as uncommon as you think. I have to make frequent business trips for work, averaging about 1 trip per week. Each trip requires at least 1 supercharger visit. That's in no way abuse. It's what I need to go about my daily life. I'd be happy to pay for each visit, but that's not how it is currently handled. Instead, my above average supercharger use is subsidized by those of you who use the superchargers less than average. To those people, I offer my thanks, and my promise to switch to pay per use if and when it becomes available.

Actually, your supercharging cost rolled into the purchase price is what is paying for the Supercharger that is being built in Meridian Mississippi... that Supercharger (much like the one at the Meijers in Terre Haute Indiana) will sit empty and un-used 95% of the time, possibly more... but when someone is coming through on a road trip they will bless you to the stars and the moon for ponying up the dough for the infrastructure expansion.

I really like to drive. What do you do with your weekends? I like to get in the car, pick a direction, and GO. It is nice to see things with your own eyes, instead of on a computer screen. There are still too many places I haven't been yet. I look forward to going to see them while driving fully electric.

As for it being a 'time warp'... I'm not sure what you mean by that. Lemme check my math... Hmmm... 365 days per year... Divided by 7 days in a week... Comes to 52 weeks... So, if I hit the road every weekend... That makes for at least 50 weekends of GO time.

I really like to drive. Yeah, I know that most people don't. They consider cars to be naught more than a conveyance of necessity or conveyance. A means to get from a given Point 'A' to another Point 'B'. People who drive in tight circles between home, work, store, church/temple/synagogue -- and nowhere else, all year. That's why leasing firms and insurance agencies figure most only drive 12,000 to 15,000 miles per year. Their loss. If I only needed to travel around 1,000 miles per month, I wouldn't need a car at all. I'd walk, or take the bus.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one...
"Perhaps one day you will join us, and the world will live as one..."

People ask me why I didn't like living in Hawaii... the answer was that unless you like to drive in circles there was nowhere to GO without getting on an airplane and being miserable for several hours... and then not having your car when you reached where ever the plane was going. I was fine for the first 6 months but then I was sick and tired of not being able to just hop in the car and go somewhere.

Later,

Keith

People ask me why I didn't like living in Hawaii... the answer was that unless you like to drive in circles there was nowhere to GO without getting on an airplane and being miserable for several hours... and then not having your car when you reached where ever the plane was going. I was fine for the first 6 months but then I was sick and tired of not being able to just hop in the car and go somewhere.
I've only been to Hawaii once, years ago... I spent a long week there, nine days straight over two weekends. I had a rental car, and enjoyed driving the loop around Oahu. But yeah, as much as I loved it there, I knew it was a place I should only visit. Not a place I should live permanently. Man, though... The tour through the Dole plant sure spoiled me for pineapple though... Even here in California, it is never -- EVER -- anywhere near as fresh.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
OOHHHH NOOOOO.

Shame on the police. They should be charging at the police station... They shouldn't be using SC's.

I'm calling the Police!!!. Hmmmmmm.. Wait, they are the police.

LAPD Model S spotted Supercharging at Tesla Design Center

Will someone in this forum please go get the LAPD and tell them to login and vote on this thread? I want to know their opinion. LOL

Ahh...

But here comes the crux - the predominant argument in favor of pay-per-use is not because people want it for themselves... It's because they want other people to do pay-per-use so that it would stop "Supercharger abuse".

So a correct poll that would reflect the true state of the forum would be something like: "Assuming you're excluded by the policy, how do you want other people to pay for Supercharging".

You know... kind'a like the way Congress passes bills.
Agreed.

Herein is a similar thing: I want to pay per use because that would allow me to SuperCharge even for local use. I assume that's the way it would work: at cost or cost + profit for Tesla. Of course, if the SC network is subsidized, then that wouldn't be allowed, and then I'd want the prepay method. I need more information.

Reactions: Booga
I want to pay per use because that would allow me to SuperCharge even for local use.
If your battery pack is at 70%, and you are five miles from your house when you plug in, and three cars pull into the parking lot at a full location, you probably shouldn't be at a Supercharger. But if your battery pack is below 20%, and you need to go somewhere far away immediately, it is probably OK if you use the Supercharger when your house is around the corner, down the street. I believe the idea is to be courteous, and balance personal need versus convenience for others. No need for pay-per-use, so much as courtesy per charge.

OOHHHH NOOOOO.

Shame on the police. They should be charging at the police station... They shouldn't be using SC's.

I'm calling the Police!!!. Hmmmmmm.. Wait, they are the police.

LAPD Model S spotted Supercharging at Tesla Design Center

Will someone in this forum please go get the LAPD and tell them to login and vote on this thread? I want to know their opinion. LOL
I'm surprised no one pointed it out that this is a straw man. No one is against local occasional use (in fact, Tesla's letter said that this is perfectly fine). It is frequent local use that is the problem that Tesla targeted.

I'm surprised no one pointed it out that this is a straw man. No one is against local occasional use
Bull. Have you SEEN the arguments on this in both forums? You assume a level of reasonableness across the board that isn't there. There have been plenty of people who have been suggesting forbidding or punishing for ANY local use at all. And they have been describing "local use" even by within 50 miles(!) if someone's home location.

Bull. Have you SEEN the arguments on this in both forums? You assume a level of reasonableness across the board that isn't there. There have been plenty of people who have been suggesting forbidding or punishing for ANY local use at all. And they have been describing "local use" even by within 50 miles(!) if someone's home location.

Yep. I'm getting criticized personally for my local SC'ing. This criticism doesn't bother me as long as I'm not getting letters nor anything from Tesla.

Reactions: Red Sage
I knew someone would take issue with the "no one" terminology, but there is a subtly you missed. I haven't seen anyone clearly/vehemently opposed to occasional local use. Even the ones suggesting the 50 mile bans (I'm not one of them) say there should be an allowance of a couple of times in a year to allow for exceptions. Basically, I don't think anyone has suggested you should be crucified for doing local charging a few times a year.

You can find an example if you want and ask the person that posted for their views on this, and I bet they would say a few times a year would be fine by them. I don't want to point fingers, but there is a clear example here that many people are opposed to that clearly isn't just a few times a year.

Where there is a difference in opinion is there are those who feel all frequent local use (outside of exceptions above) be banned even for the less popular stations, while some only feel this should only apply to the congested stations. I subscribe to the latter (my personal suggestion is PPU only in urban stations).

Last edited:
I knew someone would take issue with the "no one" terminology,
My dad was a part-time freelance writer, in addition to being a teacher. He taught me early on that the way to avoid sticking your foot in your mouth like this is to use what he called "weasel words", rather than absolute statements, so you will not be inaccurate. Some examples of these are:
"hardly anyone"
"almost never" "almost always"
"rarely" "usually"
So by using non-absolute terms, you can say how you think it is, without it being a false statement that someone can call you on.

My dad was a part-time freelance writer, in addition to being a teacher. He taught me early on that the way to avoid sticking your foot in your mouth like this is to use what he called "weasel words", rather than absolute statements, so you will not be inaccurate. Some examples of these are:
"hardly anyone"
"rarely" "usually"
So by using non-absolute terms, you can say how you think it is, without it being a false statement that someone can call you on.
Well in this case, I'm comfortable using "noone" because I think if you asked even those suggesting the local ban if they would be okay allowing someone doing a local charge a few times a year for exception cases, they would say yes. It just isn't necessarily pointed out in their arguments. My main point however, is that the bulk of the concerns related to this is not about occasional use.

"hardly anyone"
"rarely" "usually"
+1 weasel words. Also, try to frame things in the context that the other person isn't "wrong", but instead how they could be right when you don't consider certain points. Less emotional response when you're not directly attacking the other person or their views.

+1 weasel words. Also, try to frame things in the context that the other person isn't "wrong", but instead how they could be right when you don't consider certain points. Less emotional response when you're not directly attacking the other person or their views.
Also minimizes the amount of crow you find yourself eating. Depending on how much you hate the taste, you can learn these lessons pretty quickly. :)