Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How would you prefer to pay for Supercharging?

Not asking what you think will happen; How would you prefer to pay for supercharging?

• ~$2k at purchase. 'Free' forever

Votes: 189 46.6%
  • Pay per (insert whatever here); Assume cost is similar to 50mpg car ~$6/150 miles

Votes: 217 53.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think every Tesla owner should have SC access. Whether it's unlimited, limited, or pay-per-use.

I still fail to understand why pay-per-use creates such negativity, or what "numerous problems" you are talking about that modern commerce hasn't figured out a long time ago. I use, I pay. Just like anything else we consumers do every day.

There is no one in existence at Tesla to monitor " you use, you pay"
There are no SC's out there that support "you use, you pay" ( development/money is necessary)
There is nothing in place that would eliminate the folks who already paid their $2000 for "free for life"

The idea of "I use, I pay" is easy. implementing and policing abusers is not easy.

Reactions: Red Sage
There is no one in existence at Tesla to monitor " you use, you pay"
There are no SC's out there that support "you use, you pay" ( development/money is necessary)
There is nothing in place that would eliminate the folks who already paid their $2000 for "free for life"

The idea of "I use, I pay" is easy. implementing and policing abusers is not easy.

10 years ago, there was no one in existence at Tesla creating a supercharger network or the Model S or the gigafactory. Yet, somehow, here we are!

Honestly, implementing pay-as-you-go infrastructure is trivial. Owners can already go to the Tesla online store and purchase features for their cars: battery upgrades, autopilot, and yes... supercharger access. Pay-as-you-go is an OTA SW update away.

10 years ago, there was no one in existence at Tesla creating a supercharger network or the Model S or the gigafactory. Yet, somehow, here we are!

Honestly, implementing pay-as-you-go infrastructure is trivial. Owners can already go to the Tesla online store and purchase features for their cars: battery upgrades, autopilot, and yes... supercharger access. Pay-as-you-go is an OTA SW update away.
Selling a one time widget is amazingly simple. Selling an ongoing repeating product with an account is not easy.

Pay as you go is NOT trivial.

How about this.....I call in and need to talk to someone ( who does not yet exist ) about how someone hacked my account and I got charged for "pay as I go" and I wasn't even there that day. I was there the following day but only stayed at the SC for 1 hour instead of the 3 hours you charged me. I want my 2 hours back off my account and whatever was charged the previous day.
Of course the entire complaint is a lie....I just want free credit if I can get it.

The company I work for (AT&T) has tons of people that we have had to hire to handle these issues. I used to be one of them.

Selling a one time product such as 2K for life is easy. Its a one time purchase. Easily traceable.

In any case....thank God pay as you go will not happen.

Stop worrying about Tesla Supercharger congestion, it will be alright

Sounds like, regardless of frequency of use, she wants buyers to pay same up-front price to fund expansion. Also sounds like she's probably over complicating the implementation of a possible pay-per-use billing system.
See my comments above. I don't think she is over complicating it. I used to work in a "pay as you go" environment. Its a nightmare.

The primary reason you are seeing products such as:

Unlimited Talk
Unlimited Text
Unlimited Data
Unlimited Car Washes
Unlimited Oil Changes
Rent a car get Unlimited Miles
Unlimited.... everything is because its cheaper for the company to provide it.

You can get rid of all of the people - databases - computers - headaches concerning keeping up with per charge complaints and lies by customers.

AT&T got rid of 1/2 of its billing support department because of "unlimited plans".

See my comments above. I don't think she is over complicating it. I used to work in a "pay as you go" environment. Its a nightmare.
Sort of apples and oranges. The car and plug are ID'ed and both are fully networked. The car sends its ID to the charger, so it's easy to establish a pairing transaction as well as to indicate location, time, duration, and power-use metrics. The only thing that can't be done at the moment, is the technical problem of remotely detecting the (unlikely) case of stall occupancy without plug in.

Selling a one time widget is amazingly simple. Selling an ongoing repeating product with an account is not easy.

Pay as you go is NOT trivial.

How about this.....I call in and need to talk to someone ( who does not yet exist ) about how someone hacked my account and I got charged for "pay as I go" and I wasn't even there that day. I was there the following day but only stayed at the SC for 1 hour instead of the 3 hours you charged me. I want my 2 hours back off my account and whatever was charged the previous day.
Of course the entire complaint is a lie....I just want free credit if I can get it.

The company I work for (AT&T) has tons of people that we have had to hire to handle these issues. I used to be one of them.

Selling a one time product such as 2K for life is easy. Its a one time purchase. Easily traceable.

I'm not convinced AT&T is a paragon of efficiency =) No offense to you or your employer.

Somehow, other companies make it work. iTunes, Google Play, Amazon video-on-demand, Apple app store, Amazon web services, Uber, Lyft, etc, etc, etc. All of them somehow handle ongoing and on-demand small transactions (on the order of $1) efficiently.

See, you guys are imagining pay-as-you-go working in a perfect environment.
There are shyster customers out there that would make this a true headache for Tesla.

In a perfect lily white environment where all customers were honest and forthcoming ..... it would be cheap enough for a company like Tesla to support.

I'm not convinced AT&T is a paragon of efficiency =) No offense to you or your employer.

Somehow, other companies make it work. iTunes, Google Play, Amazon video-on-demand, Apple app store, Amazon web services, Uber, Lyft, etc, etc, etc. All of them somehow handle ongoing and on-demand small transactions (on the order of $1) efficiently.

I will guarantee you that each of those companies will soon provide unlimited plans if they don't already have it. Its just a cheaper business model.
I also guarantee you that if they could get rid of their support overhead.....they would do it in a heartbeat.

As a company.... I would much rather pay for unlimited service to my customer than to pay for health care, benefits and salary to an employee.

See, you guys are imagining pay-as-you-go working in a perfect environment.
There are shyster customers out there that would make this a true headache for Tesla.

In a perfect lily white environment where all customers were honest and forthcoming ..... it would be cheap enough for a company like Tesla to support.
How would you imagine potential customer fraud would cost Tesla enough money to be a road block to such a system?

How would you imagine potential customer fraud would cost Tesla enough money to be a road block to such a system?

By having to employ employees to resolve the potential customer fraud is how it would road block such a system.

Look, If Tesla has to pay a new employee $40K a year in salary and $30K in taxes and benefits...then in order for Tesla to break even...that employee would have to resolve $70K in fraud each year. That's impossible. It would be an expense for Tesla. I used to be an expense for AT&T. Now I work in another department where I'm an asset and not an expense.

Now....charge us $2K for a one time fee that adds itself to the price of the car.....no hiring is necessary. Its now a clear $2K profit...not an expense. That's an approvable business model.

See...this forum is trying to resolve a SC congestion issue by suggesting a solution that Tesla would have to pay for. Forgive my English...but they aint goin to do that. pay per use is not a good financial business model.
The people in this forum don't seem to care about things like business models ...because it resolves their issue.

If Tesla continues to deploy more SC's, then everyone wins. Tesla won't have to hire any additional people or pay for any additional employee health care packages or taxes, ect .... and congestion is reduced. That business model is financially acceptable and will eventually solve the congestion issue.

Just be patient. Its going to be ok.

Last edited:
Look, If Tesla has to hire someone to address a $20 fraud pay per use case....and they pay the employee $40K a year in salary and $30K in taxes and benefits...then to break even for tesla...that employee would have to resolve $70K in fraud each year. That's impossible. It would be an expense for Tesla.
So just as devil's advocate here.. why wouldn't they just swallow the fraud charges until they got to the point where it was worth hiring an employee? Isn't that what the term "business case" means?

So just as devil's advocate here.. why wouldn't they just swallow the fraud charges until they got to the point where it was worth hiring an employee? Isn't that what the term "business case" means?
Because they are currently making straight profit on the $2K fee.

As a company you don't move from pure 100% profit to possible expense - simply for the convince of customers. That's business 101.