TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

HPWC and NEMA 14-50 Outlet Question

Discussion in 'Model S' started by theslimshadyist, Aug 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. theslimshadyist

theslimshadyist NashVegas!

Hey guys,

I want to install a HPWC and a 14-50 for dual use so I wanted to ask what I would need installed. Ideally, I would want to use the HPWC to power either a single or dual charger and I would also like a 14-50 outlet that is hot as well. What would I need to have installed to power both in terms of amps and can one breaker handle both or do I need separated breakers with different amperages?

2. AndreSF

AndreSF Member

IMO Two separate breakers are needed: 100Amp - wall connector, 50Amp - NEMA 14-50

3. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Separate, dedicated circuits. The 14-50 goes on a 50A circuit and you will draw 40A. The HPWC can go on whatever circuit you want, depending on what you want the output to be. For example a 60A circuit will give output of 48A (the new standard charger) and a 90A circuit will give output if 72A ( the optional charger).

This may be helpful:
    Home charging installation

4. theslimshadyist

I was thinking along the same lines. 100A for the HPWC and 50A for the 14-50, coupled with the appropriate rated wiring. Thanks again for the confirmation.

5. AndreSF

AndreSF Member

Looks like you can use 90Amp for wall connector, as @TexasEV stated

6. theslimshadyist

Got it and thanks!

7. ABCCBA

ABCCBA Member

50A circuit for the 14-50 and I installed a 80A circuit for the HPWC. If you are looking to daisy chain two HPWC in the future, then make it a 100A circuit for the HPWC. 2016-07-01 08.47.37.jpg

• Informative x 1
  8. theslimshadyist

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This.right.here. Thanks for sharing!

9. Galve2000

Galve2000 Member

What kind of J1772 adapter is that? Open EVSE? I see the NEMA 14-50 below the breaker panel, but what does it plug into at the outlet?

can that adapter handle a full 40 amps or more?

10. GSP

GSP Member

Interesting setup. That looks like an Aerovironment Turbocord plugged into an NEMA 6-20 outlet.

Is the 6-20 outlet plugged into a 14-50 outlet with a flexible cord? If so, that allows unplugging it and using the 14-50 outlet with a Tesla UMC.

GSP

• Like x 1
  11. ABCCBA

ABCCBA Member

GSP is correct. I made the 6-20 setup myself. It allows me to use the Turbo cord that came with the wife's Volvo, but I can unplug from the 14-50 if I need to use the 14-50. Plus, since we have Model 3s on reservation, the 14-50 can be used for one of them.