Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC and NEMA 14-50 Outlet Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I want to install a HPWC and a 14-50 for dual use so I wanted to ask what I would need installed. Ideally, I would want to use the HPWC to power either a single or dual charger and I would also like a 14-50 outlet that is hot as well. What would I need to have installed to power both in terms of amps and can one breaker handle both or do I need separated breakers with different amperages?

Separate, dedicated circuits. The 14-50 goes on a 50A circuit and you will draw 40A. The HPWC can go on whatever circuit you want, depending on what you want the output to be. For example a 60A circuit will give output of 48A (the new standard charger) and a 90A circuit will give output if 72A ( the optional charger).

This may be helpful:
Home charging installation

50A circuit for the 14-50 and I installed a 80A circuit for the HPWC. If you are looking to daisy chain two HPWC in the future, then make it a 100A circuit for the HPWC.
2016-07-01 08.47.37.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: privater
50A circuit for the 14-50 and I installed a 80A circuit for the HPWC. If you are looking to daisy chain two HPWC in the future, then make it a 100A circuit for the HPWC.View attachment 189267
Interesting setup. That looks like an Aerovironment Turbocord plugged into an NEMA 6-20 outlet.

Is the 6-20 outlet plugged into a 14-50 outlet with a flexible cord? If so, that allows unplugging it and using the 14-50 outlet with a Tesla UMC.

GSP

Reactions: ABCCBA
GSP is correct. I made the 6-20 setup myself. It allows me to use the Turbo cord that came with the wife's Volvo, but I can unplug from the 14-50 if I need to use the 14-50. Plus, since we have Model 3s on reservation, the 14-50 can be used for one of them.
Interesting setup. That looks like an Aerovironment Turbocord plugged into an NEMA 6-20 outlet.

Is the 6-20 outlet plugged into a 14-50 outlet with a flexible cord? If so, that allows unplugging it and using the 14-50 outlet with a Tesla UMC.

GSP