Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC Cord Cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having my HPWC installed soon. Trying to decide on the best placement. My preferred spot for ease and aesthetics is on the passenger side. The 24' cable will reach if I go around the back end of the car, but can already tell managing that much cable everyday is going to be a pain. Before I spend the extra money and running a lot of conduit just to get to the other side of the car I am investigating cable options.

Has anyone tried using a heavy duty cord cover like this with the HPWC cable? It is rated for 24,000 lbs so should be plenty sturdy enough and would also double as a parking stop. I can't see why this would not work, but wanted to see if anyone has experience with doing this and if there are any gotchas.

Attachments

• 41cn0xfw3hL.jpg
    41cn0xfw3hL.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 242
Having my HPWC installed soon. Trying to decide on the best placement. My preferred spot for ease and aesthetics is on the passenger side. The 24' cable will reach if I go around the back end of the car, but can already tell managing that much cable everyday is going to be a pain. Before I spend the extra money and running a lot of conduit just to get to the other side of the car I am investigating cable options.

Has anyone tried using a heavy duty cord cover like this with the HPWC cable? It is rated for 24,000 lbs so should be plenty sturdy enough and would also double as a parking stop. I can't see why this would not work, but wanted to see if anyone has experience with doing this and if there are any gotchas.

6StMbiA.jpg

Placed in such a way that when my gf is backing her SUV in and feels the front wheels hit the ramp, it's time to stop.

Reactions: Phlier and LoL Rick
Nice! Does the cover move much? Is it bolted down? Where did you get the pole?

The cable ramp doesn't move at all. The pole is a bollard cover from amazon, and the base is a plumbing fitting that has something to do with toilets I gather, fitted into a melamine platform. The clip is just a, uh, clip thing from home depot. Dunno what it's called. It slides around a liiiiiitle bit over the course of a few weeks, once I get off my ass and buy a sheet of metal to replace the melamine I'll also put anti-ski rubber things on the bottom.

Last edited:
Personally I would have gone over the top and had the cable hang from the ceiling. This seems like trip hazards galore not to mention a huge bollard in the way.

I elected to install mine in the ceiling. Screwed velcro straps to the ceiling for the excess cable (coiled up) and the remaining end with the plug hangs about a foot below the inlet of the vehicle. Works great and with the 220 in the center of the ceiling it allows me to put the vehicle anywhere in the garage, pulled in or backed in.

Reactions: EVSteve
The cable ramp doesn't move at all. The pole is a bollard cover from amazon, and the base is a plumbing fitting that has something to do with toilets I gather, fitted into a melamine platform. The clip is just a, uh, clip thing from home depot. Dunno what it's called. It slides around a liiiiiitle bit over the course of a few weeks, once I get off my ass and buy a sheet of metal to replace the melamine I'll also put anti-ski rubber things on the bottom.
Would you have a link to the cable ramp? I've been reading Amazon reviews on them and some people are having ones they bought slide around on the garage floor.

Would you have a link to the cable ramp? I've been reading Amazon reviews on them and some people are having ones they bought slide around on the garage floor.
Yarp!

Yarp!

Thanks for the Amazon link! I just ordered this same ramp for my garage floor. My wife is parking challenged and needs to park on the left side of the garage where she can see the clearance to the wall. The right side where I park requires a bit of an "s" maneuver to park. I did not want to mount the HPWC on the ceiling and the cable run is much shorter and less expensive to put the HPWC on the left wall. The electrician only charged me $380 to install it.

Attachments

• 20210330_093537.jpg
    20210330_093537.jpg
    535.8 KB · Views: 78