Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering getting a HPWC installed by a licensed electrician but I was wondering if it's better to have a Tesla recommended electrician do the work (for warranty purposes or some related reason, I suppose). I'm going to have the electrician in for some significant work anyway and figured it would be just one more thing to get done at the same time. I'd appreciate any advice.
Thanks !

(this is in preparation for a Tesla that I don't currently own )

I did not go with the electrician Tesla suggested because I live "out in the sticks" and there was another electrician located much closer I had used before. He did a fine job with the installation.

One suggestion, though. You might want to hold off on having the work done until you have the car.

I had mine installation done based on measurements I made at the Tesla store and what I'd read online. It works ok but if I'd actually had the car first I would have put the outlet in a slightly different (i.e. more convenient) location.

OP, I had the installation done while my MS was on-order. If you do, just think through the location of the HPWC and if it's not next to the MS port, I'd suggest you take a garden hose and run it from where the HPWC will be to where your MS port will normally be when it's parked and charging, so you can get a feel of how challenging or not dragging the cable will be and that you won't trip over it while it's in place. Don't underestimate how much width and depth the coiled-up cable will take on your wall if you are tight on space, and you're likely going to need a disconnect panel close to the HPWC that will take up more space as well. THIS PICTURE of mine may help with a visual -- I normally park not 5 feet to the left of that post and my MS charging port is right there.

What I'd suggest is perhaps getting two estimates, especially if you are unfamiliar with having home projects like this performed -- one from a Tesla recommended electrician, and another from a licensed electrician of your choice. Since the price can be high depending on your needs and there are a number of variables, something like this makes sense to get a couple of quotes so you'll be able to make the best decision, especially if one price or the way they propose to do the run is very different from the other. You may also find one or the other electrician does more or less work on your behalf coordinating permits and inspection as required by your city. There is no difference warranty-wise with the HPWC between the two, and has been said, instructions for the HPWC are very clear. In my particular case, the Tesla recommended electricians who I used had done so many of these, they had standard pricing so their initial quote over the phone based on my description and length of the run was nearly spot-on after they came out to do their own physical inspection and calculations to ensure my panel could take the 100A circuit I wanted to have installed. Their pricing also ended-up being less than the other, and I was so pleased with their work, I wrote an email to Tesla about how much I appreciated Tesla having the program in place.

Good luck.

I also live out in "the sticks" and had a local electrician do my installation. At the same time, I had him install a 14-50 outlet, and a welder outlet right below my HPWC. He installed a small sub-panel box with circuit breakers as a service disconnect and so I could keep the power off to those two wall outlets. I have one grandchild already and probably will have more, and sure don't want curious kits poking something into a live 240 volt outlet! Those additional outlets added almost nothing to the overall cost, and provided me with a backup changing option in case my HPWC fails (I have heard a few stories.)
Since I already had 240 V, 60 A service to my detached garage, I just had to have heavy wire run across 3 bays to the far side where the Tesla resides. My HPWC is located near the garage door so if I wanted to plug share or charge while parked outside, the cord from the HPWC would reach. I have 50 A to the Tesla side, and since I only have one charger in my car, I can only charge at 40 A anyway. That gives me 30 miles / hour charge according to my display, so I guess I have a fully rated electrical supply at my residence.
I personally believe that some people get "special" treatment, which isn't always a good thing. I'm sure the Tesla electrician knows you've got a Tesla, and maybe adjusts his fees accordingly. I never tell any contractors what I do for a living, otherwise I'm quite certain I would get the special "doctor discount." In fact, if you want to test out my theory, ask your local electrician to install a 50 A welder outlet where you want your HPWC, with a 14-50, and see what that would cost. Then ask how much extra for an electric car charger at the same location.
Welder outlet -- regular guy.
Tesla charger -- rich guy.
Call me cynical. I've been called worse.

I also live out in "the sticks" and had a local electrician do my installation. At the same time, I had him install a 14-50 outlet, and a welder outlet right below my HPWC. He installed a small sub-panel box with circuit breakers as a service disconnect and so I could keep the power off to those two wall outlets. I have one grandchild already and probably will have more, and sure don't want curious kits poking something into a live 240 volt outlet! Those additional outlets added almost nothing to the overall cost, and provided me with a backup changing option in case my HPWC fails (I have heard a few stories.)

I also live out in the sticks.

I also installed a 14-50, HPWC, and a transfer switch, so others can use my station. There are very few options for others who may be low on charge, who are passing through. I listed on Plugshare. I like to think I can pay it forward - some time I'll be in the same predicament.

I used a local contractor

Yup, any electrician can do it. Use someone you trust to do good work.
Do it yourself! It's 3 wires! Lots of good resources on here to figure it out yourself. Here was my install about 100' away in my carport:

Preparing for my baby - HPWC Install

Best of luck!
I also did it myself. But wow, you call that a trench? We have to go at least 18" down to the top of the conduit, so 20" deep trench. I found lots of uncooperative rocks.

Yup, any electrician can do it. Use someone you trust to do good work.

I also did it myself. But wow, you call that a trench? We have to go at least 18" down to the top of the conduit, so 20" deep trench. I found lots of uncooperative rocks.

Hehehe. In FL, we don't have to worry about the rock, but more the water table if we dig down too far! :) The conduit wasn't required as i bought the outdoor rated wires, but thought it would add the additional protection when I couldn't get my 18" under some of the oak roots!