Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC pulling pranks on me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, haven't found this issue while researching the forum.

I have a S75D 2016 and bought with it a HPWC. It seems gen 1, because gen 2 was introduced later in 2017.
It's been reliable so far, with the dip switch set to 48 amps and a 60 amps breaker and appropriate wiring. My car's on board charger is 48 amps. I've had my charging port replaced somewhere earlier this year due to vert de gris. But besides that, it's been 4 years without a problem.

The problem goes like this. When I don't delay the charge, the car will charge. Anywhere after that initial point, the duo car-HPWC won't charge. Let me explain : If I delay the charge, let's say 5 am to get a warm battery when i leave in the morning, the charge won't start. It will try to, but won't be able to do so. The voltage will rise normally to 240v, but won't be able to get some amps up. It will eventually realize that it can't charge and will stop. A second later, it will try again, until I cancel the charging. The HPWC won't turn red, the breaker won't trip, the car will not display any error message, but it will try to charge about 10-15 times a minute.

I was under the impression that the cold weather of the night was responsible, but it was -14°C (that's 7 in liberty units) tonight when I got back from work and tried charging, and the charge was normal. But after the charge, it tried pulling some juice again from the HPWC (because of the cold weather) and wasn't able to do so. It tried to pull the plug, putting it back again and I was not able to get the car to charge.

I tried to do an isopropylic alcohol wash on every contact i could fit a q-tip in (from the charging port and the HPWC charging end. It got rid of a lot of oxidation, seemed to work better, but it didn't do the trick.

I hope that the cold isn't the problem, because winter has just started (and -14 isn't the coldest it's gonna get this winter too).

Any pointers or suggestions ?

Thanks evfeh !

That's exactly what happened! I didn't noticed that opening the door would start the charge like the other thread mentioned.

I had version 2020.40 and wasn't able to upgrade (as no new version would download, even though I selected advanced firmware update). As I was grocery shopping, I noticed a tesla technician working on another car. I asked him and he said they were aware of this problem. He took my vin and was able to push the 2020.48 upgrade.

I haven't had much time to test it, but so far, it seems to settle out the problem. So it wasn't an hpwc problem after all! Thanks once again!!

Reactions: evfeh