Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HUD possible for model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This discussion is occurring in multiple threads; I certainly one who is hopeful of HUD. This thread has some who assert HUD is expensive and others adamant that it's quite affordable - it certainly would be nice to hear from someone with an opinion that he or she has some experience or data to show one way or the other.

Googling "car HUD" brings up many after-market options, ranging from $30-$200. Of course that is only for a projector, not including the cost of the windshield coating. Here is a cost estimate of $300-400 for a new coating technology:
http://www.laserfocusworld.com/arti...-of-windshield-head-up-display-hud-by-90.html

The coating isn't absolutely necessary, but otherwise a double image appears. It's possible that Tesla's new advanced glass experience (e.g. with the Model X pigmentation) might be able to add a suitable coating at much lower cost, perhaps as part of the manufacturing process that they were planning to use anyway.

Furthermore, this article suggests significant growth in the HUD market in coming years anyway, so it could get a lot cheaper: The Car Windshield Is Turning Into a Computer Screen

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread has some who assert HUD is expensive and others adamant that it's quite affordable - it certainly would be nice to hear from someone with an opinion that he or she has some experience or data to show one way or the other.

BMW OEM HUD parts are being sold between US$2,000 to US$4,000.

This is one example for BMW 4 series Parts #62309358962 - US $2,700:
Head-up display. LHD made by BMW. #62309358962

And as mentioned, you also need a more expensive special windshield - $1,000+ for BMW.

In addition, you need engineering and software integration. And for BMW, right-hand drive and left-hand drive parts are not interchangeable. So the development and implementation costs are not trivial at all.

I suspect safety is a reason. People focusing on the HUD rather than the traffic and pedestrians. There's also the problem of short people where the HUD is directly in the line of sight. HUD works well for fighter pilots because they are trained to focus correctly and they don't deal with pedestrians or stopped vehicles. HUD for most will make more sense when autopilot matures to the point of almost total reliability in all circumstances.

this is just not true. I have an aftermarket hud on my car (30 quid from china xD) and my parents have had a hud included with their BMW. It's extremly useful and you never look at the dash again. You don't really look at the HUD either, you sort of stare through it and subconciously pick the speed up. It makes a huge difference to driver fatigue on long motorway journeys where you cannot use cruise control actually.

You do get a double image unfortunatley though unless you have a special windshield. I had to buy a foil from a garmin satnav for the windscreen which removed it. Obviously there is a small foil attached to the windscreen now.

HUD is a must and I believe that it will happen at the very least as an option.

The entire windshield is not the issue. Only the area where the image is projected need be "special".

A hole in the dash for the projector doesn't appear to be an issue for the dash shown in the photos.

But even barring that, the projector can sit on the dash as do some of the aftermarket units.

Last edited:
What makes HUD expensive is the windshield, not the projection.

But keep in mind we live in the age of flexible transparent OLED, so there are various interesting other options (including putting one on the windshield).

I bet a small 6x4 OLED display mounted on the windshield will be cheaper than what the Model S driver console costs.
View attachment 170262

That's what I'm thinking.

You merely need something to project the image against. Either something applied to the windshield in the area of the image, or something in front of the projector.

The projectors are low profile enough to require very little "hump" in the dashboard.

The Corvette HUD sure looks good in that image (photo?) but how close is that to reality for:

a. One who is visually impaired.
b. One who is wearing polarised sunglasses.

All I can see while driving the S or Roadster is the speed and the range presentations, as offered thru the steering wheel. The range figure on the 17 inch screen is handy for catching the add-ons as you go down 30 mile grades or else to allay one's (irrational) fears of battery nonlinearity (the dreaded Swiss cheese effect).
--

Has anyone looked at the CAD rendering that was up on the screen behind Elon during part of the reveal to see if there were any parts near the dash that looked to be associated with a HUD projector? Could the part highlighted in the attached image have anything to do with it, or is that something else?
Screen Shot 2016-04-04 at 1.07.33 AM.png

And as mentioned, you also need a more expensive special windshield - $1,000+ for BMW.

In addition, you need engineering and software integration. And for BMW, right-hand drive and left-hand drive parts are not interchangeable. So the development and implementation costs are not trivial at all.

I wouldn't be using BMW Parts as any guide as to what things [should] cost.

My bet is that HUD will be included - and may actually have to be to satisfy some countries' Design Rules.

in Australia, the specification for positioning of the speedo (and turn signal indicators and high beam) is:

"All 'Visual Indicators' specified as Group I in Clause 18.2 shall be totally located between 2 vertical planes inclined at 20o left and 20o right of the longitudinal axis of the vehicle and passing through the foremost points of the left and right '95th Percentile Eye Ellipses' respectively. Such indicators shall be totally located above a plane inclined downwards at 35o from the horizontal and including a horizontal transverse line through the foremost points of each of the '95th Percentile Eye Ellipses' and below a plane tangential to the bottom of the '95th Percentile Eye Ellipses' which includes a line at ground level transverse to the longitudinal axis of the vehicle 11 m forward of the rearmost eye ellipse point."

I think that means they have to be in front of the driver...

Has anyone looked at the CAD rendering that was up on the screen behind Elon during part of the reveal to see if there were any parts near the dash that looked to be associated with a HUD projector? Could the part highlighted in the attached image have anything to do with it, or is that something else? View attachment 170610

That looks like the brake fluid reservoir to me.

My guess is that they will offer a software interface to Google Glass or something similar for augmented reality. Cheap and innovative.
Someone in the other thread called those who wore the Google Glass "glassholes." I agree with that sentiment.

Plus I've always found it incredibly awkward to wear something on top of my glasses. From gas masks to safety goggles.

Reactions: jkk_
I haven't used a HUD, but I don't think I'd like stuff getting in my way of seeing what's outside. I think a simple sun-shielded 7" display would be inexpensive and enough to display key instrumentation, possibly configurable as to what instruments you want and where.

Keep in mind, those prices are what they sell them for. Actual price to manufacture is considerably less. I bet there is 30-40% markup on those.

The Twitter comment from Serge de Gheldere listed in this article is interesting:

All Signs Point to an HUD in the Tesla Model 3

"Talked to Tesla engineers at MS beta event 2011—they hated existing HUDs. This is going be Tesla Ironman style good"

If that's the case, they should really hire the guy who designed the graphics for the Ironman movie HUD's, Jayse Hansen:

We Talk to the Creator of The Avengers UI and Iron Man's HUD

There's also a possibility of light-field technology but that's probably still a technology too far off for a production car, at this point:

MIT develops glasses-free 3D projector as a "practical alternative to holographic video"

Get on that @elonmusk