Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HUD possible for model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon builds rockets (with landable 1st stages). He builds a family sedan that does 0-60 in 2.8 secs. He builds an SUV with wings. Oh, the 3 will have a HUD. It's not even a question. The base car will display the basics, but the (expensive) "Spaceship Options Package" will not only display a lot more information, you will be able to INTERACT with it. You will be able to position elements, push virtual buttons and turn virtual dials. And yes, the S and X will get it, too.

With no instrument cluster, I would certainly hope there's a HUD of some sort! I frankly *think* I'd prefer a cluster on the order of what's in Tesla's existing vehicles but a HUD could be cool, maybe incredibly cool, depending on how they handle it. Minimally, I want to see basic information in front of me and not off to the right on the screen.

I suspect safety is a reason. People focusing on the HUD rather than the traffic and pedestrians. There's also the problem of short people where the HUD is directly in the line of sight. HUD works well for fighter pilots because they are trained to focus correctly and they don't deal with pedestrians or stopped vehicles. HUD for most will make more sense when autopilot matures to the point of almost total reliability in all circumstances.

Don't you think they will have power seats for people of smaller stature? One does not have to focus on the HUD. I believe you would find that your eyes can easily assimilate the HUD info and the exterior images simultaneously. Isn't that why the Airlines use it so successfully.
(I believe Alaska Airlines was the first, and it has spread). It seems to me that fighter pilots have a lot more to watch for, than motorists do!

Scannerman

HUDs are pretty darn cheap.

I have a "HUD" alarm clock that cost $15, works perfectly and projects the time. I know the automotive side is a bit more expensive then that as projecting onto a windshield is a bit tougher, but at the same time an instrument cluster is really not that expensive at all.

I'm not worried about things like speed on the top left central display. I'm worried about the very real possibility of the central display freezing/crashing because it's doubling and simultaneously running as GPS, infotainment, and probably will hold third party apps as well. Something that is system critical that can also run user-loaded software is bad, bad, bad even if the software is Tesla-approved.

Relying on audio cues alone for important things like autopilot being turned off and speed limits is also very bad. Very easy to miss audio cues especially if music is involved or other people are talking.

If there's no HUD option or driver panel option, this can potentially be my only dealbreaker.

Your post makes perfect sense to me.

Scannerman