Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Huge amount of water in garage after rain, car wash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry. This is probably a stupid post but I did a search on the forum and checked the manual and no dice.

There is a LOT of water that collects under the 3 in the garage after a drive in the rain or a car wash. It’s so much that I have to mop the garage to prevent it from ruining the drywall. Never had this with other vehicles before.

This still happens even after drying the outside of the car after washing it. It seems to be a lot more than the usual amount expected with AC condenser and some rain/water from washing.

Does this happen to others?
It may sound stupid but has anyone had any luck with a service center making any corrections to the undercarriage? I’m assuming water collecting under the car then slowly drains when parked. I’ve already sent them an email and will let you know what they say.

Thx in advance for the feedback.

Sorry. This is probably a stupid post but I did a search on the forum and checked the manual and no dice.

There is a LOT of water that collects under the 3 in the garage after a drive in the rain or a car wash. It’s so much that I have to mop the garage to prevent it from ruining the drywall. Never had this with other vehicles before.

This still happens even after drying the outside of the car after washing it. It seems to be a lot more than the usual amount expected with AC condenser and some rain/water from washing.

It may sound stupid but has anyone had any luck with a service center making any corrections to the undercarriage? I’m assuming water collecting under the car then slowly drains when parked. I’ve already sent them an email and will let you know what they say.

Is your car pregnant? You might have a little surprise in your garage in 12-36 hours.

A mini 3!!
IMG_6130.PNG

I get a huge amount of water. It's definitely pooling onto the underside cladding.

I usually wash on the flat part of my driveway, but and I noticed a "little" pooling. More than maybe the small handful I get from a/c condensation. Like a cup's worth? Then one time, I backed up onto the sloped part. A ton of water sloshed out. I'm talking over a gallon. Maybe two gallons worth. There was more too cuz when I pulled it back up to the flat part, stuff was still dripping and my kid, who was helping, said she heard sloshing.

• Informative
Reactions: BioSehnsucht
I get a huge amount of water. It's definitely pooling onto the underside cladding.

I usually wash on the flat part of my driveway, but and I noticed a "little" pooling. More than maybe the small handful I get from a/c condensation. Like a cup's worth? Then one time, I backed up onto the sloped part. A ton of water sloshed out. I'm talking over a gallon. Maybe two gallons worth. There was more too cuz when I pulled it back up to the flat part, stuff was still dripping and my kid, who was helping, said she heard sloshing.

POIDH

I also have large amount of water that drips in the garage after car has been driving in the rain. I always need to sweep the water away and make sure no items are close enough to be soaked by this dripping water. Even a light rain still causes a good amount of dripping. Now, after driving in rainy conditions, I will leave car out of garage. Also, when my garage floor has been exposed to water, a white powdery substance appears when water drys. It is because my home is on landfill. Never had a car that drips some much water after being in the rain. Very annoying. Did the service center have any suggestions?

I had quite a bit of water under mine as well after washing it then going right home. Not a fan of this as this means salty water (I live in Michigan where roads are salted in the winter) is getting into places where it dwells for a certain period of time.

Also, when my garage floor has been exposed to water, a white powdery substance appears when water drys. It is because my home is on landfill.

It’s called efflorescence and it’s quite normal with concrete floors.

Rain water has next to nil for dissolved minerals, so, when it penetrates the concrete, it dissolves whatever salts it finds. Later, the evaporation process leaves behind those salts that you see on the floor.

Old thread, but new people with concerns... There is a related thread.

Summary: you can drain your car by parking it pointed significantly downhill before going into the garage. I have taken off all of these covers and the primary spot for water collection is the rear hard plastic diffuser panel (attached to below bumper cover). There are some lips there which allow it to hold maybe several cups of water (and dirt and gravel) when it is on the flat. But most of the water would flow out if you park with front of car pointing downhill on a significant incline for a few seconds.

Or you can drill holes like one @Redrick00 did if you have no hills, I suppose.

Found out what’s causing undercarriage composite to break apart

Reactions: gambit48

I agree. I've had some of this with any car, but the model 3 is significantly more and outlines the whole car, with the worst in the rear. In California, we've had some VERY light rains, and I'm mopping today. My floor is epoxied so I do see what happens. Others may have more absorbent floors.