Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hundreds of Dismissals this week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My unfounded speculation:

Based upon some of the comments that the terminations were focused on Model S/X and Solar City, I'm thinking a couple things:

Solar City: there probably are some legit layoffs here as a result of the merger. I could see some other changes as they try to combine company cultures as well.

Model S/X: Despite their best anti-selling efforts on Model 3, I'm thinking the demand pull away from S & X has begun. When you can buy a car with most of the same benefits for half the price or less, it's only natural for that to happen, even with the Model 3 production backlog. I'm wondering if some of these are preemptive dismissals based upon the expected plateau or even moderation in pace of Model S/X sales.

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
The company said this week’s dismissals were the result of a company-wide annual review, and insisted they were not layoffs. Some workers received promotions and bonuses, and the company expects to hire for the “vast majority” of new vacancies, a spokesman said.

In addition to there being other threads on this, there's a VAST difference between getting fired for cause and being "laid off" as the OP claims. Tesla is NOT doing "layoffs" here, which would be real trouble. Letting go workers who are not doing a good job (ref: "after company-wide performance reviews" in the headline) is another thing entirely.

...This excessive scrutiny for Tesla is unnecessary...

Tesla's attracted attention due to its large number of firings in such a short period.

Any massive reduction of workers in a week can be disruptive.

I think other companies would fire underperformed workers gradually throughout the year.

Workers don't under-perform all so synchronized perfectly at the same time (as if they all wait until this very week to be bad), so to wait to fire them as a massive number in a week would no doubt attract news.

Reactions: Eclectic and smac
Tesla's attracted attention due to its large number of firings in such a short period.

I think other companies would fire underperformed workers gradually throughout the year.

Workers don't under-perform all so synchronized perfectly at the same time (as if they all wait until this very week to be bad), so to wait to fire them as a massive number in a week would no doubt attract news.
California is under at will-employment law. Can fire with no notice.
For worker morale would it be better for under-performing staff to all go at once while higher-achievers receive bonuses versus the alternative of members of your section being let go slowly over a few weeks/months and the high-performers wondering who is next?

...Hopefully it's a union purge...

That's a possibility!

"Tesla has faced ongoing discontent from some factory workers, who have complained about work conditions and wages below the auto industry average." workers discontentment in the news.

If so, the housecleaning needs to be massive to make an example to the rest who might want to re-think about complaining without consequences!

Didn't they say they just did a performance review? So it makes sense to why a whole bunch were fired if the firings are based on that performance review.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pdub2015
With slower than expected production on the M3 line, they needed a purge.
You should never pay people to sit on their hands, and terminations before the holidays are the best time financially.
We might see another purge in November.