Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HVAC UI design sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see some people saying they have only adjusted their vents once in 4 years.... come on. I will just speak personally, living in Vegas where it gets to be 105+, plus having a wife and kids in the car, the vents go all over the place. First she's too hot, then too cold, then its too in her face, now her feet are cold, and I won't even start on the kids. And even for myself, I am adjusting them all the time. Outside of my keyfob concerns, this has now taken the #1 concern spot for someone who changes AC settings and directions on the fly constantly.
If she's in the car then the UI shouldn't really be a problem. She can control her side of the car anyway she wants. And you can get her to adjust your side too. I can see a problem if you're alone in the car and want to adjust it while you're driving, which I highly suggests that no one does. Set it before you start driving and adjust as needed during stop lights.

Last edited:
If she's in the car then the UI shouldn't really be a problem. She can control her side of the car anyway she wants. And you can get her to adjust your side too. I can see a problem if you're alone in the car and want to adjust it while you're driving, which I highly suggest that no one does. Set it before you start driving and adjust as needed during stop lights.

Yes we can find work around's for most situations, that still doesn't make the new system convenient. We "could" do a lot of things I feel like. But if I'm driving by myself and can't turn on autopilot it is going to be a problem. And again even with people in the car, it looks like a bit of work. I'm not saying its the most horrible solution, same as not having a key fob, but we can't also lie to ourselves and pretend its going to be a better solution. Its going to be a new set up that will be a little cumbersome and take some work around's to get it to work as we would consider "normal use".

• Disagree
Reactions: jsmay311 and JeffK
I anticipate using the thumbwheels on the steering wheel for a lot of this. Not only will I not be taking my eyes off the road (at least, for any longer length of time than finding a physical control), I won't even be taking my hands off the wheel.

*** This. It's the obvious solution. M3 has left-right scroll wheels, not just up-down. It seems a natural fit for vent control. We have of course no confirmation that you can work vent controls with the scroll wheels... but why wouldn't they add that?

Yes we can find work around's for most situations, that still doesn't make the new system convenient. We "could" do a lot of things I feel like. But if I'm driving by myself and can't turn on autopilot it is going to be a problem. And again even with people in the car, it looks like a bit of work. I'm not saying its the most horrible solution, same as not having a key fob, but we can't also lie to ourselves and pretend its going to be a better solution. Its going to be a new set up that will be a little cumbersome and take some work around's to get it to work as we would consider "normal use".
It's as easy as adjusting a knob on the radio. You can do that while driving right?... no need to make mountains out of mole hills.

First people were all concerned about reading the speedometer as if the world was ending and now people are complaining about an HVAC system's UI they've never used when it's dead simple to use.

You can definitely turn on autopilot without using the touchscreen. It's part of the right lever. With autopilot on using the touchscreen UI will be much more reasonable.

With the Model 3 it's a completely different way to interact with the car, so it will definitely take a while to get used to. I have no doubt the positives will out weight the negatives.

It's as easy as adjusting a knob on the radio. You can do that while driving right?... no need to make mountains out of mole hills.

First people were all concerned about reading the speedometer as if the world was ending and now people are complaining about an HVAC system's UI they've never used when it's dead simple to use.

I'm surprised that more people don't see the irony.

"WHAT? HVAC requires that I look at a screen? People shouldn't be looking at screens while they're driving! Now if you'll excuse me, I want to get back to demanding that Tesla install another screen right behind my steering wheel, or maybe a HUD to project a screen onto the glass...."

You can definitely turn on autopilot without using the touchscreen. It's part of the right lever. With autopilot on using the touchscreen UI will be much more reasonable.

With the Model 3 it's a completely different way to interact with the car, so it will definitely take a while to get used to. I have no doubt the positives will out weight the negatives.

Sorry I meant if you were driving manually, and weren't on roads or in driving situations where you could switch on autopilot to look over at the screen etc.

One thing in that video really got me. I had assumed that they were directing air around with actuated vanes. Not so, according to the video. The HVAC system has, as one would expected, multiple fans. But they've got some aimed lateral and vertical to the stream (they mentioned some fans blowing the airstream up or down, etc). So by adjusting the power to the different fans, they can change the direction to the stream as a whole. Yet all of the air moved by the fans ultimately contributes to the airflow, so it's not actually requiring more fan power to move a given amount of air.

Bloody brilliant, that. Small fans are dirt cheap, made in vast quantities every year for electronics. I bet they're nothing more than computer fans, or a more powerful version thereof. Which any computer can control with ease; a standard motherboard could treat them as case fans, and you wouldn't even need a microcontroller or specialized software. Really, really clever.

Reactions: Alketi
One thing in that video really got me. I had assumed that they were directing air around with actuated vanes. Not so, according to the video. The HVAC system has, as one would expected, multiple fans. But they've got some aimed lateral and vertical to the stream (they mentioned some fans blowing the airstream up or down, etc). So by adjusting the power to the different fans, they can change the direction to the stream as a whole. Yet all of the air moved by the fans ultimately contributes to the airflow, so it's not actually requiring more fan power to move a given amount of air.

Bloody brilliant, that. Small fans are dirt cheap, made in vast quantities every year for electronics. I bet they're nothing more than computer fans, or a more powerful version thereof. Which any computer can control with ease; a standard motherboard could treat them as case fans, and you wouldn't even need a microcontroller or specialized software. Really, really clever.
Wow that is very clever. Everyone (including that jalopnik article criticizing the design) assumed they are some kind of electrically actuated vanes which adds another part to break.

But computer fans are prone to failure, either sticking or high pitch whines. Plus I doubt the typical computer fan is designed to handle extreme cold temperatures.

But computer fans are prone to failure, either sticking or high pitch whines. Plus I doubt the typical computer fan is designed to handle extreme cold temperatures.
Not if you have good ones.
Many have an L10 (10% failure) time of 30,000 - 60,000 hours and a MTTF of 250,000+ hours

Let's take the 30,000 hour cheap ball bearing ones as an example. If you drive your car for 3 hours a day, every day, then thats:
30,000 hr ÷ 3 hr/day ÷ 365 days/yr = 27.4 years for 10% of the fans to fail

How about MTTF of 250,000 hrs... 228 years of driving 3 hrs a day, every day before half of your fans are likely to go out.