Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW 3.0 Upgrade Tracker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How exactly do I determine which MCU is in my vehicles? Based on the comments I guess I can assume my 2018 has MCU 2 since it was recently upgraded to 3.0, but still would be interested to know. Of course my late 2016 must have MCU1 with AP 2.0. At some point in the cost/benefit analysis of the upgrade process I am sure they might reach the conclusion it is easier to just offer us a discount on trade in.

Had a service appointment scheduled last week for our 2017 S (MCU1/AP2). In addition to the annual maintenance, requested fixing the yellow border around the display, asked if an MCU2 upgrade was available, and asked for the HW3 upgrade.

In a series of text messages (no phone calls), Tesla told me:
  • Machine to fix the display is broken, no ETA on when it will be fixed, and that they wouldn't be notifying customers when the machine is working again
  • MCU2 upgrades are not available for MCU1 vehicles
  • The VIN for our vehicle was not on the HW3 upgrade list; Tesla provides no notification to owners when their vehicles are placed on the HW3 upgrade list; if the VIN is on the list, Tesla will install the upgrade during a scheduled service visit - again, without any notification; and they had no information as to when our vehicle might be placed on the upgrade list
Appears to be the only way to determine if your vehicle is eligible for an upgrade is to schedule a service visit and then wait for Tesla to send you a text message confirming your vehicle is or is not on the upgrade list.

Cancelled the service appointment and will try again next month.

And will likely start scheduling service appointments monthly, asking for fix to yellow display and MCU2/HW3 upgrades - and when they text those aren't available, will cancel and try again a month later.

Surely Tesla could implement a better system - and be more proactive in notifying owners on when the yellow screen repairs can be done, what their strategy is for upgrading MCU1/AP2 to support FSD, and when it's time to bring their vehicles in for the upgrade (or if they even will be able to do the upgrade...).

Reactions: TK16688 and KyleDay
Had a service appointment scheduled last week for our 2017 S (MCU1/AP2). In addition to the annual maintenance, requested fixing the yellow border around the display, asked if an MCU2 upgrade was available, and asked for the HW3 upgrade.

In a series of text messages (no phone calls), Tesla told me:
  • Machine to fix the display is broken, no ETA on when it will be fixed, and that they wouldn't be notifying customers when the machine is working again
  • MCU2 upgrades are not available for MCU1 vehicles
  • The VIN for our vehicle was not on the HW3 upgrade list; Tesla provides no notification to owners when their vehicles are placed on the HW3 upgrade list; if the VIN is on the list, Tesla will install the upgrade during a scheduled service visit - again, without any notification; and they had no information as to when our vehicle might be placed on the upgrade list
Appears to be the only way to determine if your vehicle is eligible for an upgrade is to schedule a service visit and then wait for Tesla to send you a text message confirming your vehicle is or is not on the upgrade list.

Cancelled the service appointment and will try again next month.

And will likely start scheduling service appointments monthly, asking for fix to yellow display and MCU2/HW3 upgrades - and when they text those aren't available, will cancel and try again a month later.

Surely Tesla could implement a better system - and be more proactive in notifying owners on when the yellow screen repairs can be done, what their strategy is for upgrading MCU1/AP2 to support FSD, and when it's time to bring their vehicles in for the upgrade (or if they even will be able to do the upgrade...).

MCU 2 upgrade is never coming. Also don't expect HW3 for another year or 2 for MCU1 cars

I have two model X, one 2016 with AP 2.0 and one 2018 with 2.5 original now upgraded to 3.0. I first noticed this shortly after purchasing my first car with a software update, and it seemed to be a response to the driver killed in Florida when his car drove under the truck. It normally improves over time, but sometimes with each software update this and other features seem to regress. I have become so used to this phantom braking that I haven't paid attention to how it has changed since my update to 3.0.

I have not had any additional phantom braking - I don’t know if it is because I have not encountered the same driving conditions that triggered it previously or if it improves over time through experience. All in all, it seems to be working quite nicely now - it will be interesting to see the differences when we eventually move from emulation to native on HW3.

the phantom braking I experienced occurred about 200-300 yards before the overpasses with no other obstacles in the way
yep I have experienced this with overhead freeways signs. In my case, rare, but repeatable in same spot on same highway. I did a thread on that in autopilot section. As was mentioned, my guess is that software engineers over-compensated the "fix" when tesla in autopilot hit an emergency vehicle that was parked crosswise on the highway.

Last edited:
How exactly do I determine which MCU is in my vehicles? Based on the comments I guess I can assume my 2018 has MCU 2 since it was recently upgraded to 3.0, but still would be interested to know. Of course my late 2016 must have MCU1 with AP 2.0. At some point in the cost/benefit analysis of the upgrade process I am sure they might reach the conclusion it is easier to just offer us a discount on trade in.
If your car was upgraded then you have MCU2. As of today, any car that was upgraded by Tesla to AP3 does NOT have MCU1. If you check the build date on the driver's door jamb for your car, you'll probably see it was built after March 2018, when they started using MCU2 hardware.

Also, if you have upgraded your firmware in the past few months and have Tesla Theater, Karaoke, Cuphead, stoplight visualizations, trash can visualizations, etc., then you know you have MCU2.

2018 75D built in May 2018
VIN: 267xxx
HW before upgrade: 2.5
MCU: 2.0
Upgrade process: one of the headlights LED malfunctioned, requested replacement/service under warranty. Asked for possible upgrade to HW 3.0 given FSD already purchased before. Headlight replaced and HW 3.0 installed on the same visit.

I did the same. They replaced the headlight, but could not do upgrade on my S 75D, Feb 25, 2018 build date MCU-1. Missed MCU-2 by a day or two. I was told my car would have to be done at dealer not by a ranger. Same don't call us we will call you.

They are doing my son's M3 tomorrow morning.

Reactions: Gt1948
If your car was upgraded then you have MCU2. As of today, any car that was upgraded by Tesla to AP3 does NOT have MCU1. If you check the build date on the driver's door jamb for your car, you'll probably see it was built after March 2018, when they started using MCU2 hardware.

Also, if you have upgraded your firmware in the past few months and have Tesla Theater, Karaoke, Cuphead, stoplight visualizations, trash can visualizations, etc., then you know you have MCU2.

So you are saying when you get HW3 upgrade your MCU 1 is upgraded to MCU 2?

We got the first M3 back from the upgrade. I personally went down to talk with service department. I set up upgrades for X (MCU-2) and the second M3. No problem 2 weeks we bring them both in.

My S with the MCU-1; Don't call us, we will call you. He said they will defiantly happen in time. I'm sure they want to get the tech's experienced enough so they can pick up speed and know the pit falls related to the retrofits. They I think they will get to us MCU-1 owners then back to the 2.0 owners.

My son showed me the "about tab in my S. It was under software update tab. there is a blue screen tab. press it and it will show the car info. It doesn't come right out and say MCU-1 though. My told me my computer was a 2.5.

Also the M3 are liquid cooled computers so they have to drain the cooling system to swap the computer.

• Informative
Completely unsolicited, I received this email about an hour ago:

Hello,

Tesla is thrilled to announce your Model 3 is now eligible for the Full Self-Driving Computer Retrofit (although vehicles may be eligible for this hardware, features of Full Self driving are only available to those who purchase(d) the option)! This retrofit should take less than 2 hours while you enjoy our free WI-FI in our courtesy lounge.

You can conveniently schedule this service via your Tesla Mobile App. Please choose the option “Noise and Vibration”, > “Other” when scheduling to ensure your appointment is routed to your preferred service center. Please ensure your cell phone number is listed when scheduling, as we may reach out by text to confirm appointment details.

Thank you,
Dallas Service Team

---------------

(My Model 3 is a March 2018 build. FSD purchased six months or so later.)

BTW, I thought these retrofits were being done by a Ranger, not a service center?

• Informative
Completely unsolicited, I received this email about an hour ago:

Hello,

Tesla is thrilled to announce your Model 3 is now eligible for the Full Self-Driving Computer Retrofit (although vehicles may be eligible for this hardware, features of Full Self driving are only available to those who purchase(d) the option)! This retrofit should take less than 2 hours while you enjoy our free WI-FI in our courtesy lounge.

You can conveniently schedule this service via your Tesla Mobile App. Please choose the option “Noise and Vibration”, > “Other” when scheduling to ensure your appointment is routed to your preferred service center. Please ensure your cell phone number is listed when scheduling, as we may reach out by text to confirm appointment details.

Thank you,
Dallas Service Team

---------------

(My Model 3 is a March 2018 build. FSD purchased six months or so later.)

BTW, I thought these retrofits were being done by a Ranger, not a service center?
HW3 for Model 3 is liquid cooled so it has to be done at a Service Center. Interesting that they tell you to choose Noise & Vibration > Other. lol

2018 S 100D w EA ($5,000) and FSD ($3,000)
Received this at 9:22 this morning:

Hello,

Tesla is thrilled to announce your vehicle is now eligible for the Full Self-Driving Computer Retrofit (although vehicles may be eligible for this hardware, features of Full Self driving are only available to those who purchase(d) the option)! This retrofit can be completed by Mobile Service and should take less than 2 hours.

You can conveniently schedule this service via your Tesla mobile app. Please choose the option “other” > “something else” when scheduling to ensure your appointment is routed to Mobile Service. Your service address can be your home, work, or any location convenient for you. Please ensure your cell phone number is listed when scheduling, as we may reach out by text to confirm appointment details.

Thank you,

Texas Mobile Service

(Scheduled for March 4)

• Informative
It’s great to hear reports of Model 3 upgrades happening. I tried to schedule an upgrade in December and they declined it. They said it would be done in batches, by VIN. My M3 LR RWD was delivered in Portland, Oregon in a July 2018, so I assume I’m early on the list. I only bought FSD in June 2019, but I haven’t heard that matters. In just submitted another request, I’ll keep you posted...

My car is going in this morning. I made an unrelated appointment for the half-shaft shudder and when I got the repair estimate, the AP 3 retrofit was added as a work order item with a note that my car was in "Group 1" (whatever that means). Apparently the swap involves replacing 4 bolts/nuts and the CPU :)

• Informative
Received the "your vehicle" is ready for the update message yesterday.

We have a 2017 S (MCU1/AP2) and 2018 X (MCU2/AP2.5) - the message didn't indicate which vehicle was getting the upgrade.

So I scheduled mobile service appointments to do the upgrade for each vehicle.

Local service center called to confirm the 2018 X appointment and then cancelled the 2017 S appointment, since it wasn't on the list, and they didn't know if/when we would be getting the upgrade for that vehicle.

Upgrade should take 2 hours - and at least for our X, can be done by mobile service.

My car is going in this morning. I made an unrelated appointment for the half-shaft shudder and when I got the repair estimate, the AP 3 retrofit was added as a work order item with a note that my car was in "Group 1" (whatever that means). Apparently the swap involves replacing 4 bolts/nuts and the CPU :)

Yes, the AP computer is behind the glove box. To get to the AP computer the trim around the glove box must be removed and the glove box itself has to come out. There are a few screws to remove and 3 wiring connectors to disconnect for the glove box and there are 4 nuts that retain the computer (the AP computer sits flat and the bolts are vertical from the top and the nuts are on the bottom - very easy to remove). The new AP 3 hardware also has some cabling to connect and then it’s just a matter of putting everything back and, of course, configuring the software.