Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW 3.0 Upgrade Tracker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t have HW3 yet, but in rare circumstances I get aggressive phantom breaking on the freeway.

In my cases, the cars GPS seems to be malfunctioning, and it keeps placing me on roads NEXT to the freeway (with lower speed limits) or roads ABOVE me - i.e. overpasses. Might not be your case at all, but I’d check the maps to see if your car thinks you’re on I-80 or the overpass you just drove under.

Thanks GoBeavs, the phantom braking I experienced occurred about 200-300 yards before the overpasses with no other obstacles in the way. AP might have responded to the overpass itself, direct bright sunlight interfering with the camera, or overpass shadow being misidentified as an obstacle. I know some of us noticed differences in software around version 40.50 that seemed like a step backward to previously corrected AP behaviors (maybe a software branching issue), but I wasn’t sure if that was what I experienced with 40.50.7 because I didn’t notice the return of phantom braking until after the HW3 upgrade. I appreciate you sharing your experience with the GPS getting confused and causing phantom braking. My situation seemed more like an AP hardware or software issue. I am hopeful it will resolve over time (if the system actually “learns” through experience) or in a future software update. I posted in this thread in case it might have been a HW3 upgrade issue that others may have also experienced, but I am thinking it is probably software-related since no one else has responded with a similar experience.

I find is strange and slightly worrying that I have not seen any reports of MCU1 cars receiving the FSD/HW3 update yet.
Tesla switched over to install FSD computer in new S/X March 22nd 2019, and still we only see some small number of MCU2 cars on the West Coast receiving the update and no MCU1 yet.

If Tesla is planning on actually delivering the FSD computer word wide to all MCU1 cars with HW2 and 2.5 before the cars are sold, out of lease and warranty, they better expedite the upgrade route.

A lot of owners have put a lot of money and faith in Tersla, trough a time where they needed it the moust. I really hope tohse customers will not be left behind.

I find is strange and slightly worrying that I have not seen any reports of MCU1 cars receiving the FSD/HW3 update yet.
Tesla switched over to install FSD computer in new S/X March 22nd 2019, and still we only see some small number of MCU2 cars on the West Coast receiving the update and no MCU1 yet.

If Tesla is planning on actually delivering the FSD computer word wide to all MCU1 cars with HW2 and 2.5 before the cars are sold, out of lease and warranty, they better expedite the upgrade route.

A lot of owners have put a lot of money and faith in Tersla, trough a time where they needed it the moust. I really hope tohse customers will not be left behind.

Engineering is working on an upgrade for MCU1 cars. They haven't gotten there yet.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: Gt1948 and viper2ko
There were several people with MCU1 who reported they went in for the AP3 upgrade and there were issues (car didn't work, AP computer didn't talk to MCU1). Assessment they were told was that they are presently incompatible. Unknown if software alone will fix it or other hardware as well. Their cars were reverted back to AP2.5 or 2.0 status and they still do not have the upgrade. You can find links to those stories in this forum and on Youtube.

• Helpful
Reactions: TK16688
Okay, I had my appointment for HW3 upgrade today (and some other maintenance items)... Not too surprised to find out they could not do the upgrade yet. I was told they will roll out by VIN number and unless you receive a notice, you aren't eligible for an upgrade. SC guy said he believed this would start to happen in a week or two. I'm not holding my breath o_O

Okay, I had my appointment for HW3 upgrade today (and some other maintenance items)... Not too surprised to find out they could not do the upgrade yet. I was told they will roll out by VIN number and unless you receive a notice, you aren't eligible for an upgrade. SC guy said he believed this would start to happen in a week or two. I'm not holding my breath o_O
I appreciate the update and am not surprised, much like yourself.

I've seen many postings about Tesla Service claiming the HW3 retrofits will be done by VIN, when ready. But I don't know if ANYONE has actually been proactively contacted by service saying "come in for your retrofit, it's your turn!" Have they? Even the mcu2 folks who have gotten the retrofit have done so only after they themselves reached out and scheduled service, right?

I don't think anyone is actually getting contacted because their VIN was next in line

@kdday - I was scheduling a mobile service visit to fix voice control Navigation issues and loss of autopilot cameras when Tesla support told me that they had the HW 3 upgrade for my MS 100 D AP 2.5. They then scheduled an appointment at the Jacksonville Service Center for the upgrade.
While nice, you reached out to Tesla first. Still waiting to Har Tesla reach out to customers because their VIN is up on the list.

While nice, you reached out to Tesla first. Still waiting to Har Tesla reach out to customers because their VIN is up on the list.

Tesla is full of it (good intentions ). The reality is, first you make an appointment, then they check the list. If you are on it, they replace your computer. Since everything is paid for already by you, they clearly are not in a hurry. Don’t wait for their call, you call them or wait forever. They are a business trying to make money.

Reactions: Gt1948
One thing I noticed yesterday while driving west on I-80 around 2:30pm was significant phantom braking when approaching over-crossings. It was partly cloudy with the sun directly in front of me and the over-crossings were casting a shadow across the road. It happened 3 times and slowed 10-20mph each time. In one instance I had to take control and accelerate to avoid a rear end collision. I did not notice this behavior before the HW3 upgrade and was on the current software prior to getting the new hardware. I had phantom braking quite a while ago on HW2.5 but it diminished over time and with incremental software upgrades, but it was never as significant as it was yesterday. I don’t know if it is an extended calibration thing, software related, or something specific to HW3, but I thought I would mention it to see if others were having similar experiences after upgrading.
Raven MS HW3 FSD. Sorry, can comment on previous behavior, but absolutely have seen phantom braking with overhead gantry signs and exiting tunnels especially with large shadow component in lighting.

The other situation I get unintended braking is when the car is on the main carriageway passing on or off ramps. With NoA (and probably AP) the car appears to incorrectly follow a speed profile intended for the on / off ramp, even though I am not merging on or off. This can be a slowing from 70 mph to 40 mph. In this case the speed indicated blue / grey on IC display shows decreased speed.

With the shadow / tunnel exit / sign gantry / bridge scenario I do not believe the set speed indication changed.

Last edited:
One thing I noticed yesterday while driving west on I-80 around 2:30pm was significant phantom braking when approaching over-crossings. It was partly cloudy with the sun directly in front of me and the over-crossings were casting a shadow across the road. It happened 3 times and slowed 10-20mph each time. In one instance I had to take control and accelerate to avoid a rear end collision. I did not notice this behavior before the HW3 upgrade and was on the current software prior to getting the new hardware. I had phantom braking quite a while ago on HW2.5 but it diminished over time and with incremental software upgrades, but it was never as significant as it was yesterday. I don’t know if it is an extended calibration thing, software related, or something specific to HW3, but I thought I would mention it to see if others were having similar experiences after upgrading.

I have two model X, one 2016 with AP 2.0 and one 2018 with 2.5 original now upgraded to 3.0. I first noticed this shortly after purchasing my first car with a software update, and it seemed to be a response to the driver killed in Florida when his car drove under the truck. It normally improves over time, but sometimes with each software update this and other features seem to regress. I have become so used to this phantom braking that I haven't paid attention to how it has changed since my update to 3.0.