Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3.0 upgrade for basic AP owners now free?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
B1EE4740-B742-4D66-B39E-9AD9148D1484.jpeg

Hmmmm it’s charging me😒

Spoke to soon. Here is the message I just received. (They are fast!) - No upgrade

"Hi Dov, the 3.0 hardware is only used for FSD autopilot packages. you can find this under "upgrades" on your tesla app. Since there are no on-site repairs for our technicians, we will log this data and close this appointment for now. After you have paid for this upgrade, you will be invited to schedule an appointment once the hardware has been received"

Spoke to soon. Here is the message I just received. (They are fast!) - No upgrade

"Hi Dov, the 3.0 hardware is only used for FSD autopilot packages. you can find this under "upgrades" on your tesla app. Since there are no on-site repairs for our technicians, we will log this data and close this appointment for now. After you have paid for this upgrade, you will be invited to schedule an appointment once the hardware has been received"
try another sc man, its funny cause every sc is gonna give you a different answer

From the random nature it sounds like it's just service center folks keying it in wrong.

One presumes there's a code for "FSD HW upgrade because they bought FSD" which would charge at $0, and one for "FSD HW upgrade for someone without FSD" that charges $1000. Sounds like some places are entering the first one when they shouldn't maybe?

Hardly the first time we've heard of SCs fairly widespread failure to put PNs in correctly.

From the random nature it sounds like it's just service center folks keying it in wrong.

One presumes there's a code for "FSD HW upgrade because they bought FSD" which would charge at $0, and one for "FSD HW upgrade for someone without FSD" that charges $1000. Sounds like some places are entering the first one when they shouldn't maybe?

Hardly the first time we've heard of SCs fairly widespread failure to put PNs in correctly.

Agreed with you 2,000%.

And like everything else these days, someone got lucky, bragged about it online, others are now demanding the same for themselves, have been harassing service center staff, and there's very shortly going to be a memo flying around inside Tesla to remind them on the correct way to key in a computer upgrade.

You can almost set your watch to stuff like this.

Gotta keep Jimmy Conway's advice in the back of your head: "Always keep your mouth shut, and never rat on your friends."

• Funny
Reactions: gaswalla and Krash

yup thats why i say keep trying until you get the $0 amount lol IT WILL HAPPEN!!!!

• Disagree
Reactions: dmurphy
honestly i think that's how people on here have been getting the free upgrades...

and it really isn't wasting peoples time when thats what they're getting paid to do is to key in the codes for the service tickets

To be fair- they're getting paid to correctly key in the codes.

Which if they were doing that nobody'd be getting it for free.

So you're legit wasting the time of folks doing their job properly, and just hoping you get lucky and find one of the other ones.

Don't get me wrong- folks do this in tons of areas where you might get different answers from different reps to the same quesiton.... HUCA has been a thing for a long time, this is just the app equivalent.

• Love
Reactions: dmurphy
honestly i think that's how people on here have been getting the free upgrades...

and it really isn't wasting peoples time when thats what they're getting paid to do is to key in the codes for the service tickets

It absolutely is how it's been happening ... and it IS wasting time ... Entering tickets, making people do research, consuming service appointments (even temporarily) from those who actually need them ... for a device that isn't really going to do anything for you without FSD anyway.

And yeah, as a shareholder, I don't like wasting time. Even more, as a customer, I REALLY don't like wasting service centers' time. That's a scarce enough resource as it is -- chewing up their cycles trying to get them to do an unnecessary upgrade FoR FrEe!!1! is just a ridiculous waste of resources.

To be fair- they're getting paid to correctly key in the codes.

Which if they were doing that nobody'd be getting it for free.

So you're legit wasting the time of folks doing their job properly, and just hoping you get lucky and find one of the other ones.

Don't get me wrong- folks do this in tons of areas where you might get different answers from different reps to the same quesiton.... HUCA has been a thing for a long time, this is just the app equivalent.
So you're saying this thread and the OP is all kinds of wrong? i think the original intent was to spread the word to others that you "could" get this upgrade for free (reason xyz). I understand you think its a waste of time to others but again thats what this thread was about in the first place is to try and get the upgrade for free. End of the day we all have our separate opinion on things and thats where we draw the line.

Reactions: dek526
Agreed with you 2,000%.

And like everything else these days, someone got lucky, bragged about it online, others are now demanding the same for themselves, have been harassing service center staff, and there's very shortly going to be a memo flying around inside Tesla to remind them on the correct way to key in a computer upgrade.

You can almost set your watch to stuff like this.

Gotta keep Jimmy Conway's advice in the back of your head: "Always keep your mouth shut, and never rat on your friends."
Just shared my experience. Not bragging about it.

You can almost always set your watch to posts like yours. Enter fun police, “As a shareholder…”, and other non-productive comments.

And yeah, as a shareholder, I don't like wasting time.
You're a shareholder in a company that sold cars with the explicit promise: "All cars have all hardware needed for full self driving capability"

If you're worried about a few people getting HW3 for "free" (when it should already be free due to the earlier promise), you should be terrified of the fact they are announcing HW4 and the exposure there on 2M HW3 cars instead of the 100K cars that have HW2.

Reactions: Vol16
You're a shareholder in a company that sold cars with the explicit promise: "All cars have all hardware needed for full self driving capability"

If you're worried about a few people getting HW3 for "free" (when it should already be free due to the earlier promise), you should be terrified of the fact they are announcing HW4 and the exposure there on 2M HW3 cars instead of the 100K cars that have HW2.

Didn’t say a word about wasting HW3; time is way more important than the hardware.

And calling around to a dozen service center is a colossal waste of resources.