Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3.0 upgrade for basic AP owners now free?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently decided to keep my 2018 Model 3 RWD for the foreseeable future and as part of that decision decided to upgrade the HW 2.5 to 3.0. I only have basic AP on my car but wanted the visualizations and whatever improvements may come with future updates.

Fully expecting to pay $1,000 I setup a service appointment last week. To my surprise the estimate was $0. I even later added wiper and filters and the estimate was $122. Yesterday, I went in for service, computer was upgraded and lo and behold I only paid $122.

Thinking this was a one-off lucky situation, my friend in Nashville requested the same service and also received a $0 estimate. He goes in for the upgrade this Monday. I think Tesla may no longer be charging this $1,000 upgrade fee?

Attachments

• Tesla 8:31:22.pdf
    383.4 KB · Views: 664
Maybe you were automatically signed up for the $199 monthly FSD subscription :) .

I've not heard about dropping the $1K fee for HW3.0. But then again, I'm not all that interested in the topic as I already spent the money for EAP and then FSD about a year after getting my 2018 LR.

Reactions: Vol16
Maybe you were automatically signed up for the $199 monthly FSD subscription :) .

I've not heard about dropping the $1K fee for HW3.0. But then again, I'm not all that interested in the topic as I already spent the money for EAP and then FSD about a year after getting my 2018 LR.

which he could just cancel right?

OP please post any other "improvements may come" that you notice. How quick was the upgrade?

Reactions: ElectricIAC

I was not, I have since added it 1 day later but it was not automatically included during install

I recently decided to keep my 2018 Model 3 RWD for the foreseeable future and as part of that decision decided to upgrade the HW 2.5 to 3.0. I only have basic AP on my car but wanted the visualizations and whatever improvements may come with future updates.

Fully expecting to pay $1,000 I setup a service appointment last week. To my surprise the estimate was $0. I even later added wiper and filters and the estimate was $122. Yesterday, I went in for service, computer was upgraded and lo and behold I only paid $122.

Thinking this was a one-off lucky situation, my friend in Nashville requested the same service and also received a $0 estimate. He goes in for the upgrade this Monday. I think Tesla may no longer be charging this $1,000 upgrade fee?
I had the same upgrade done of my 2018 LR RWD at the end of last year and to my surprise it was free of charge. I also received the $1,000.00 estimate.

Reactions: DanCar and Vol16
which he could just cancel right?

OP please post any other "improvements may come" that you notice. How quick was the upgrade?
It was supposed to be done via mobile service but they had issues pre-provisioning the computer so I ended up at the SC. It took just under 3 hours including a charge to 80% on the supercharger which I appreciated. I can’t say enough good things about Cincinnati sales and service. Lana and Greg there are rockstars always trying to make people leave happy even when Tesla policies makes their jobs difficult (e.g., loaners).

I will be sure to post improvements. So far the green light chime is nice and the lane keeping seems to be improved but not 100% sure. Hoping to test soon on a few places where I always get phantom braking.

Are you saying they upgraded you from the Intel Atom CPU to the Ryzen CPU?

No, he's talking about the driving computer, not the media computer.

To my knowledge it's impossible to upgrade an Atom car to the Ryzen media computer because it also requires the upgraded Lithium 12v (actually more than 12v) battery and different wiring between those two things.

This makes sense to me because I feel like the entire AP stack is going to go to Tesla Vision, and that requires HW3.

The only oddity is it seems to be done silently. But, maybe its just one of those things where they're intentionally not charging for it but also not announcing it either.

So, do/did you have EAP and the option of the FSD subscription for $100/month? Or are you still required to pay $6k for FSD, but you already got the chip upgrade for free?

I just had my car updated a couple months ago so I could subscribe for long trips. It took them over a week with the car at the SC. I'd be somewhat miffed if they were now doing the upgrade for free.

so can did they do it via ranger now?

TSLA changes prices quite often. If it makes you feel better I got the car in June 19, after Elon's all cars now have 3.0 announcement. Then I asked the ranger tech to confirm that.. Of course now the car tells me it 2.5 :(

This is good news for people that wanted the upgrade, although I can see a lot of people pissed off if they paid for it. I guess people that want it should get it done asap, because Tesla may change their mind at any time. I remember there were some inconsistencies also on the MCU upgrades where some people got it for free, but most didn't, and then when they did the recall they switched to only eMMC swaps with an upgrade.

The cynic says to me that if this is an official move, it might be related to the upcoming price increase for FSD, maybe they are planning for a hike in the subscription pricing along with it and this lowers the barrier to entry (this follows more closely to the initial speculation of FSD pricing strategy where some people suggested that the cost of HW upgrades be bundled into the subscription price by charging a higher price).

Reactions: GSP