Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 2022.44.30.10 Computer Crashing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 Model 3, Dual Motor, Hardware 3, 141K miles, ver: 2022.44.30.10

Two items.

In the last two weeks the computer crashed twice, once while driving, a crackling sound then black screen. Today sitting and waiting for someone, car was in Hold, crackling sound and a black screen. Both times after a minuter the car completed the reboot and screen returned. I've never experienced this many computer crashes this close together in the 4 years I've owned it.

Another anomaly occurred yesterday. Driving through a highway intersection that it's been through countless times , the Red Wheel of Death came on and beeping started, except it kept going, so I took it out of FSD Beta and then went to click it back on, it immediately gave me the Wheel of death again and continued beeping. There was nothing around, I continued driving manually, I waited about a minute and tried it again, immediately it gave me the wheel of death and beeping. I turned it off again. I reached a red light and came to a stop, once light changed and car was going again I clicked back into FSD Beta and it was fine for rest of the ride home. I have never experienced where it would not come out of the red wheel of death or stop beeping even after exiting it. It would immediately go back into it as soon as it was activated.

I'm hoping this is a software issue with 44.30.10 and not the start of a hw 3 issue. 44.30.10 has been running on it for months without issue. I don't think hw3 is still under warranty seeing it's been in since the recall upgrade in 2019.

Anyone else experiencing multiple crashes or continuous wheel of death on 44.30.10

I haven’t experienced that with this version, but both issues you mention sound similar to what’s happened with ours and previous versions. I’d chalk it up to software or environmental until you can see a pattern pointing more definitively to hardware. If it recurs then create a service appointment, make note of the dates and times of these incidences, and their mobile team should be able to dig further into logs from your car.

Not that it’s never hardware, but we have seen many an issue appear (not necessarily just after updating) and eventually resolved in another software update.

Driving through a highway intersection that it's been through countless times , the Red Wheel of Death came on and beeping started, except it kept going, so I took it out of FSD Beta and then went to click it back on, it immediately gave me the Wheel of death again and continued beeping
Was it switching between highway Autopilot and FSD Beta? I noticed the lack of small Autosteer wheel icon on city streets the other day even though FSD Beta visualizations were showing fine, but then I was able to activate Autosteer on the highway. Later when Navigate on Autopilot took the exit, it warned to take over immediately when it would have switched to FSD Beta.

So then I tested switching profiles where one did not have FSD Beta toggled, and I could activate plain Autopilot/Autosteer on city street without FSD Beta. Switching back to the profile with FSD Beta toggled then immediately triggered the warning again.

Seems like Tesla might be doing some shadow mode testing where they activated some additional behaviors that shouldn't affect driving but unintentionally exceeded some compute budget or other safety margin. This was maybe a week or two ago, and I haven't encountered the same thing before or again.

2018 Model 3, Dual Motor, Hardware 3, 141K miles, ver: 2022.44.30.10

Two items.

In the last two weeks the computer crashed twice, once while driving, a crackling sound then black screen. Today sitting and waiting for someone, car was in Hold, crackling sound and a black screen. Both times after a minuter the car completed the reboot and screen returned. I've never experienced this many computer crashes this close together in the 4 years I've owned it.

Another anomaly occurred yesterday. Driving through a highway intersection that it's been through countless times , the Red Wheel of Death came on and beeping started, except it kept going, so I took it out of FSD Beta and then went to click it back on, it immediately gave me the Wheel of death again and continued beeping. There was nothing around, I continued driving manually, I waited about a minute and tried it again, immediately it gave me the wheel of death and beeping. I turned it off again. I reached a red light and came to a stop, once light changed and car was going again I clicked back into FSD Beta and it was fine for rest of the ride home. I have never experienced where it would not come out of the red wheel of death or stop beeping even after exiting it. It would immediately go back into it as soon as it was activated.

I'm hoping this is a software issue with 44.30.10 and not the start of a hw 3 issue. 44.30.10 has been running on it for months without issue. I don't think hw3 is still under warranty seeing it's been in since the recall upgrade in 2019.

Anyone else experiencing multiple crashes or continuous wheel of death on 44.30.10
Absolutely open a ticket with service. This sounds like a faulty computer module, or jacked up firmware. At a minimum have service reinstall the current firmware, and it may require a factory reset. Don't be surprised if they have to replace the MCU and/or FSD computer.