Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 / FSD Computer Worth Upgrading?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a 2018 LR RWD Oct 2018 build. Original owner.

I have EAP but no FSD.

Is it worth it to have the FSD Retrofit done? I was told I have been approved for a free retrofit. (Kinda confused I would be approved for free). Anyone else upgraded for free?

No real plans to purchase FSD so I guess it would maybe enhance resale value.And more visualizations.

Thoughts?

Reactions: KenC
If they are going to give you the hardware for free, you should do it before they change their mind. You are the only person I am aware of that has posted here who has EAP (and not FSD) that somehow is being offered the hardware 3 computer.

You should take it, sooner rather than later. At a minimum you get a faster processor, and better visualizations, and the having the HW 3 computer would not hurt anything at all. There is NO reason not to take it for free, but it would be interesting to hear why they want to give it to you for free. I wouldnt ask, if I was you, though,. I would just schedule it and get them to do it as fast as you can (as long as its free).

I have EAP but no FSD.

Is it worth it to have the FSD Retrofit done? I was told I have been approved for a free retrofit. (Kinda confused I would be approved for free). Anyone else upgraded for free?

No real plans to purchase FSD so I guess it would maybe enhance resale value.And more visualizations.

Thoughts?

Don't walk - RUN - to get that installed! Like, yesterday.

Absolutely zero downside to doing so. And if they want to do it gratis, jump all over that. Merry Christmas to you!

Wait, what?!? You can get this for free??? You mean I didn't have to pay for this? I want my money back! No, not really, but it is kind of infuriating as one of the main reasons I paid for FSD was to get the HW3 upgrade. By all means, go and do it, before they figure out their mistake or whatever.

Wait, what?!? You can get this for free??? You mean I didn't have to pay for this? I want my money back! No, not really, but it is kind of infuriating as one of the main reasons I paid for FSD was to get the HW3 upgrade. By all means, go and do it, before they figure out their mistake or whatever.

I bought FSD specifically to ensure I got whatever the latest computer was, same as you. Personally, I feel like someone told the OP he could get this because they made a mistake thinking he had FSD instead of EAP.

With that being said, if they will actually do it, I would push them to schedule it as soon as possible, because you and I are definitely NOT the only people who bought FSD mainly to ensure getting upgraded hardware.

And I hope the OP documents the outcome of this here so we have some proof of whatever happens. If he legit gets it free Tesla will have some 'splaining to do.

That would be best for everyone here, in that situation, for sure, but it would cause a !#@$@!@# storm (and likely get picked up by blogs that follow this site, etc).

So, good for traffic to this site, horrible for tesla, and likely horrible for OP as people would start asking for invoice numbers for proof (to try to get it themselves) etc. It would be better for OP to at most confirm whether it happens or not, and even better for them to simply rush to get it, and let this thread die on the vine.

(personal opinion only)

• Love
Reactions: dmurphy
That would be best for everyone here, in that situation, for sure, but it would cause a !#@$@!@# storm (and likely get picked up by blogs that follow this site, etc).

So, good for traffic to this site, horrible for tesla, and likely horrible for OP as people would start asking for invoice numbers for proof (to try to get it themselves) etc. It would be better for OP to at most confirm whether it happens or not, and even better for them to simply rush to get it, and let this thread die on the vine.

(personal opinion only)

What's that old saying about "no good deed goes unpunished?"

I hope for the OP's sake that a) he's already scheduled the upgrade; b) it gets done; and c) they never breathe another word about it.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth ... ;-)

I have EAP but no FSD.

Thoughts?
You were told by SC or an email from Tesla? Have you reported issues with the EAP functionality?

Old thread but I tried to schedule FSD Computer Upgrade and I don't have AP or FSD and they told me no. You have to buy FSD first. I said I want to get the FSD subscription when it is released and they pretended to not know anything about this. I said it would be better to get the FSD Computer Upgrade now so that I am ready to go. Nothing! They won't do it. Has anyone got the free FSD Computer Upgrade without buying FSD??

Old thread but I tried to schedule FSD Computer Upgrade and I don't have AP or FSD and they told me no. You have to buy FSD first. I said I want to get the FSD subscription when it is released and they pretended to not know anything about this. I said it would be better to get the FSD Computer Upgrade now so that I am ready to go. Nothing! They won't do it. Has anyone got the free FSD Computer Upgrade without buying FSD??

Not that I have read of, This is the only thread that even mentioned something like that, and it looks like the OP took my advice (before I was a moderator) to not post about it again.

I have EAP but no FSD.

Thoughts?
Might as well ask the man himself. :)

How did this work out for you?

Not that I have read of, This is the only thread that even mentioned something like that, and it looks like the OP took my advice (before I was a moderator) to not post about it again.
Thanks! Good to know I thought I was getting the runaround with Tesla. If the offer a subscription service you just have to sign up for a month and they will have to install the new FSD computer and then you can cancel. That's what I will do unless the FSD subscription is reasonably priced.

Thanks! Good to know I thought I was getting the runaround with Tesla. If the offer a subscription service you just have to sign up for a month and they will have to install the new FSD computer and then you can cancel. That's what I will do unless the FSD subscription is reasonably priced.

They already know that loophole (who wouldnt, its very easy to see), so I wouldnt expect that to be possible, but we will see.

They already know that loophole (who wouldnt, its very easy to see), so I wouldnt expect that to be possible, but we will see.
How can they prevent it? In order to use FSD you need the FSD computer upgrade. The only way around it in my mind is if they make you sign up for FSD subscription for a year or more. That way they get a return on their parts and labor. I can't see them going this way though, it will have to be month to month for most people to get it.

How can they prevent it? In order to use FSD you need the FSD computer upgrade. The only way around it in my mind is if they make you sign up for FSD subscription for a year or more. That way they get a return on their parts and labor. I can't see them going this way though, it will have to be month to month for most people to get it.

There are other discussions here around that, in the autopilot forum, where there is passion around what everyone thinks tesla "can" and "cant" do, but FSD can be used on HW2.5 computers. They may either say " subscriptions are not eligible for the city streets function", or " in order to use the city streets function you must subscribe for a minimum of 1 year at this rate" or " in order to use the city streets function, you will need to purchase an upgrade to the HW 3 computer for XXXX, or purchase FSD outright which includes the FSD computer.

They can prevent it in several ways, should they chose to do so. I would not expect to be able to subscribe, get the computer installed, then cancel the next month though. If they do, allow that, there will be a very extreme uproar from anyone who upgraded from Enhanced autopilot to FSD to get the upgraded computer.

Pretty sure they learned from the response last time, what their customers will do if they do something like that.

In any case, any further discussion on that topic can be had in the autopilot subforum:

Reactions: Phlier
Tesla has for the most part been very good at structuring affairs to make money. For the upcoming FSD subscription it will likely happen in one of two ways:
  1. Owners with HW2.5 will have to pay for the HW3.0 computer separately if they choose the subscription. As soon as you sign up you will be invoiced for the hardware upgrade and the 1st month of the subscription.
  2. Owners with HW2.5 won't even be offered to buy the subscription at all and it will be strictly limited to those with HW3.0.
In other words, there won't likely be an option for paying for a single month of FSD and getting a free computer. It is all too obvious to Tesla that this would be a huge financial leak for them.