Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 upgrade waiting room: All FSD Tesla’s

Has anyone had their HW3 upgrade scheduled/completed yet???

• Yes

Votes: 96 16.2%
  • No

Votes: 498 83.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish this was true, but I highly doubt they are going to upgrade MCU1 to MCU2 even if you bought FSD. They can't afford it. They will likely find a solution to get MCU1 to work but it will take time, or ask us to pay for the MCU upgrade.

I hear you and I’m cautiously optimistic. He made it clear that the screen would remain and that they were just swapping the mcu behind the screen. Not sure that would be so expensive. There weren’t that many cars built in the time period and far less who purchased FSD. If they don’t figure it out it’s going to cost them more. Meanwhile what great good will that would show and they would be standing behind what they said about these 2.0 cars. Let’s hope they get this figured out in short order.

I wish this was true, but I highly doubt they are going to upgrade MCU1 to MCU2 even if you bought FSD. They can't afford it. They will likely find a solution to get MCU1 to work but it will take time, or ask us to pay for the MCU upgrade.

So you mean to say that you paid for FSD but they cannot do it unless you pay more for a new MCU? That will be something, not a chance. You prepaid for FSD and you get FSD. If Tesla screwed up with hardware than Tesla has a problem, not the customer.

FYI: I scheduled and confirmed an experimental appointment to the upgrade done. A week later I was told that it was not supported for my configuration yet but the rep expressed optimism in Tesla's trademark "Rolling out", "Finalizing", and "Shortly".

I have a 2017 HW2.0 MCU1 S75D so not really any new information here other than to confirm:
* It doesn't matter if you have a "confirmed" appointment. Until you drive out of the service center, don't count on anything
* MCU1->MCU2 upgrade is not available yet
* FSD Computer retrofit is not available yet for HW2.0 vehicles.

upload_2019-11-26_15-7-25.png

Reactions: Dario_75D
FYI: I scheduled and confirmed an experimental appointment to the upgrade done. A week later I was told that it was not supported for my configuration yet but the rep expressed optimism in Tesla's trademark "Rolling out", "Finalizing", and "Shortly".

I have a 2017 HW2.0 MCU1 S75D so not really any new information here other than to confirm:
* It doesn't matter if you have a "confirmed" appointment. Until you drive out of the service center, don't count on anything
* MCU1->MCU2 upgrade is not available yet
* FSD Computer retrofit is not available yet for HW2.0 vehicles.

View attachment 481759

Wonder if the retrofit will require a new mcu

I've seen it claimed by others in this thread that the new FSD will require MCU2 but I don't think that's been confirmed by a tech. Unclear if the thing holding back the retrofit for HW2.0 cars is the radar/camera/sensor changes or whether it's tied to MCU2 somehow.

Well they havent been able to upgrade to mcu1 AP 2.5 cars either. So the issue is tied to the MCU I think

I believe Tesla is just waiting for the very last MCU1 FSD paid car to die, then they will immediately announce our FSD upgrades are ready to be installed :). I am seriously hoping they do the right thing and come up with an MCU1->2 upgrade path for this as well as the should-be-a recall eMMC arguable safety issue.

I asked the mobile service guy yesterday if he could also install the retrofit and he said that litterally everyone asks him about this daily in my area and that Tesla is deploying these updates strategically without providing the end technicians any real details. I will push more in 2020, but I'd like to hear from Elon abou the progress of this rollout as we're supposed to be feature complete soon.

I asked the mobile service guy yesterday if he could also install the retrofit and he said that litterally everyone asks him about this daily in my area and that Tesla is deploying these updates strategically without providing the end technicians any real details. I will push more in 2020, but I'd like to hear from Elon abou the progress of this rollout as we're supposed to be feature complete soon.

Are you an mcu2 S or X? If so you can just schedule and get it

Tesla does not condone the retrofit to mcu2. I did it myself by changing pinouts on plugs in the back and the required migration of files from old to new mcu. Tesla has the protocols in place for doing the retrofit but they will never offer it.

Hi Restrected. That's very interesting. Will you ever write something about this, to share some details of the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade. I know it takes time, but I'm sure many people here would kill to see that.

Hoping to get to change my vote soon. Just booked a mobile service (my only option) for a hardware 3 upgrade after Christmas. Tesla contacted me and rescheduled it for Burbank, which I take as a sign it might actually happen as they didn't cancel immediately.

2017 Model 3 with VIN less than 2000 in CA.

Hoping to get to change my vote soon. Just booked a mobile service (my only option) for a hardware 3 upgrade after Christmas. Tesla contacted me and rescheduled it for Burbank, which I take as a sign it might actually happen as they didn't cancel immediately.

2017 Model 3 with VIN less than 2000 in CA.
I think your odds are good. We have VIN #14xx.

However, we're on day 3 of the install. There's trouble with the firmware installing. Hopefully this is only a one-off case since it'd be weird if they were running into this issue with each install.