TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Hybrid cars to pay for congestion charge in London in next 2 weeks.

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by nexsuperne101, Jun 15, 2016.

1. nexsuperne101

nexsuperne101 Member

#1 nexsuperne101, Jun 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
    Bad news for all those "ECO" hybrids, as London is now to start charging £11.50 per day for any car with any tail pipe emissions. I currently drive a Leaf, and have ordered a Model 3, so I am quietly smug about this fact.

Hybrids are a step backwards, its a bit like saying you can swim, but still need armbands.

This means that the Mercedes C class Hybrid, the BMW 13 REX, the Toyota Prius, the Mitsubishi PHEV etc will all have to pay.

• Like x 1
  2. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

Unfortunately, plug-in hybrids are still ok, so Outlander PHEVs and i8's will still be exempt.

3. nexsuperne101

nexsuperne101 Member

That's a bit off. That's like having no TV licence because you don't watch BBC, but still having the TV.
    They could use the ICE anytime they want but not pay for polluting the city?

• Like x 1
  4. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

They seem to be taking the slowest route possible. Don't forget that the ULEZ is being extended and IIRC is an additional fee on top of the Congestion Charge. (Also, all new black cabs will soon have to be PHEVs as well). Should be quite a winner judging by the number of regular Prius you see around.

Of course, if we Leave the EU then all this "green crap" will probably end up on top of the "bonfire of regulations" and we'll be incentivised to drive around using locally-fracked diesel.

• Like x 1
  5. nexsuperne101

nexsuperne101 Member

The main issue with London is the pollution, OK, so it isn't China, but I was in North London yesterday waiting to cross a road when a bus drove by throwing out black smoke. I am amazed that they haven't got full electric public transport already, after all, lead by example!

• Like x 1
  6. AndY1

AndY1 Member

As long as PHEV drives in EV mode within the city, I don't see a problem.