Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HYEVOLT Titanium Lug Nuts - Affordable, Lightweight, and Strong! Survived One Lap of America!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any pics yet?
I received an email last month from Jimmy stating the finish on the batch they had received from the manufacturer wasn’t up to their standards and that they would need to start a new batch. ETA is August. He offered me the choice of a small discount for waiting, a switch to black or raw finish, or a refund. I chose to wait, so I’m hoping it’s early August.

Titanium doesn't react with anything, just like gold. They use titanium if they need to put parts in your body because it is a stable metal.

That completely misses the issue. While titanium may not be chemically reacting with steel studs, it is prone to galling, which will cause the nuts to get stuck on and effectively fuse with the studs. Proper installation requires lubrication, which makes torquing to a proper level a nightmare.

Reactions: TwoK4drSi
I received an email last month from Jimmy stating the finish on the batch they had received from the manufacturer wasn’t up to their standards and that they would need to start a new batch. ETA is August. He offered me the choice of a small discount for waiting, a switch to black or raw finish, or a refund. I chose to wait, so I’m hoping it’s early August.
Secret EV has lug nuts if you haven’t checked them out.

That completely misses the issue. While titanium may not be chemically reacting with steel studs, it is prone to galling, which will cause the nuts to get stuck on and effectively fuse with the studs. Proper installation requires lubrication, which makes torquing to a proper level a nightmare.
These are coated, appears to be anodized. So far they are coming on and off smooth for me (two sets on two cars).

These are coated, appears to be anodized. So far they are coming on and off smooth for me (two sets on two cars).

Anodizing can help, you also need to be very careful how you tighten and torque down Ti nuts. Hand tightening is the way to go and you really should be using anti-seize either way. Never use an impact, and be sure the threads are spotless before applying anti-seize.

Just doesn't seem worth the risk to me, open ended steel lugnuts can be pretty light, and have minimal risk of galling. I've had friends snap studs in the BMW world from titanium lugnuts that got fused to their stud retrofits. Even Porsche recommends against using non steel lug nuts for track use.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve