Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hypothetical Question for Charging at Relative's House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please allow me to ask a question about charging option(s) for the following scenario. Note - I'm not an owner and not in a position to get Model S soon, but I'm curious about how much one can do with it.

Let's say it is Thanksgiving day and I will be travelling 150 miles in a Model S 85kWh charged to 250 miles range.

I go straight to SF airport, pick up 2 others, then Manteca for example. I get there and let's say the car says 95 miles left. I want to drive the 150 mile return trip straight back, no stops on the way.

There are a bunch of cars at this person's house that has a garage. We are to park the car there and watch football, eat dinner, be there four hours.

I have to get some charge. What are my options at this person's house?

Note - Not leaving to go to a charging station and not stopping to charge on way home. Would I kindly ask to use a dryer outlet at this person's house, NEMA 1640 or whatever the number is and offer some money for the charge?

Candid responses appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The dryer outlet will only work if it's within 18' of where your car is parked (really less than that because of the the sag in the cable). So although it would work if close enough, it's very likely that it won't reach.

If I could get the the NEMA 14-50, does it provide something like 30 miles range per hour?

A qualified yes. It depends on if there is a true 240V service, it could be as low as 208V, in which case it would be lower.

QUOTE=cycledrum;272201]Hmm, wouldn't like to carry the generator and gas in the car, but never know, they may have one. :)[/QUOTE]

Most generators don't provide the quality electricity that the Model S requires. So far I think only some of the Japanese ones have been proven to work.

NEMA 14-50 is a great option. I did the same thing at my sister's house, since her house is just at the edge of my 'point of no return' with the roadster. I am able to get about 30 miles per hour of range added with this. Typically, after staying for a few hours, my car is fully recharged so that I can head home with no anxiety whatsoever.

When I encourage others to install a NEMA 14-50, I tell them that it's a standard 50 amp RV plug, so if they ever get an RV / motorhome or a trailer, they could simply plug in to it.

A glimpse into "FlasherZ, used RV salesman". ;)

I have this great '62 Shasta, wings still mounted on it. She's a beauty... :)

- - - Updated - - -

That's great initiative installing a new outlet at your relative's house; allows you to charge and sets them up to have a plug-in car too :)

And to most people, it makes sense... it's preparing them for the next generation of cars...