Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hyundai KonaEV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hyundai sells about 2k ICE Kona per month in Europe.

Like Outlander PHEV, I think Kona BEV can outsell Kona ICE.

Renault Captur sells about 17k units per month in Europe.

Opel Mokka sells about 14k units per month in Europe.

Can it sell well? If you use the Kona ICE as comparison yes.

If you use segment leaders no.

The Kona is only on sale for 4 months and in December it was already at 3k (I don't have the EU numbers for January, yet.) This car is still ramping up and heavily supply constrained.

On the other hand I don't think the EV will outsell the ICE. The petrol version is halve as expensive, so I doubt the EV will be super popular.

Like most traditional car makers today, they will probably underestimate demand and struggle for a year, or so. It's still a great entry, but I think by the time they will really sell it to everyone, it will neither be super unique, nor super competitive.

Hyundai has a great lineup right now, buy they think too small. It takes a big push to become affordable in this segment, but they still seem to hesitate too much. Which is really sad, since they have shown again that they can build a great EV.

But with a price like that, it will sadly stay a niche product, heavily dependent on government incentives.

Where did you see that? I could only find silence from Hyundai as to the U.S. market.

Kipa
This story at InsideEVs had this quote:
According to some sources, the Kona Electric will land in the United States in the first half of 2019, carrying a base price of just under $40,000. It will be offered with only one battery option in the U.S., the larger 64-kWh one.

• Helpful
Reactions: Zoomit
244A8798-8EBD-4587-AE62-0331D409F21E.jpeg

I sat in it today at the NYIAS and it’s really cheap inside. The interior center is silver plastic with tons of buttons. It felt really cheap compared to normal cars (I drive Subarus).

• Informative
Reactions: gene and techmaven
Hyundai Kona Electric - 250 Mile Range, 64-kWh Battery

Hyundai’s first compact electric crossover returns a respectable 250 miles (402 kilometers) of range on the U.S. scale thanks to a 64-kWh lithium-ion battery pack. That’s a 12-mile improvement over the Chevrolet Bolt EV (238 miles), a 30-mile improvement over the standard (but not yet available) Tesla Model 3 (220 miles), and a significant 99-mile improvement over the new Nissan Leaf (151 miles). Total power output is listed at 201 horsepower (150 kilowatts) and 291 pound-feet (394 Newton-meters) of torque, with DC fast charging standard.

The battery system is liquid-cooled and operates at 356 volts. Battery pack energy density is 141.3 Wh/kg (greater than Chevy Bolt), with a total battery system weight under 1,000 lbs. In addition, Kona Electric energy efficiency is internally-estimated at 117 MPGe, superior to Nissan Leaf (112 MPGe), Tesla Model S (104 MPGe), and Tesla Model X (93 MPGe).

I am also very intrigued by the Kona EV and upcoming Niro EV. Have a reservation for a 3, but rapidly losing patience.

I really would not be too hasty. The Kona is a smallish vehicle to be sold in limited numbers - it might take as long as your 3 to be delivered.

I also caution you re Hyundai's approach to EV performance. My employer has 5 Ioniqs and they reliably get 200km on a charge, but they are really quite dull. The acceleration has been sacrificed for range and you don't get the EV buzz that you expect. My Leaf is more fun to drive, honestly.