Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I’ll get roasted but here goes anyway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Interesting, but I don't even wear my wedding ring because it annoys me to have something between my fingers.

I wonder how they got permission to even make that thing? I had read elsewhere that the RFID Tesla used for the card was encrypted, so the only way you could make anything work is to melt the RFID chip out of one of their cards.

Interesting, but I don't even wear my wedding ring because it annoys me to have something between my fingers.
I wonder how they got permission to even make that thing? I had read elsewhere that the RFID Tesla used for the card was encrypted, so the only way you could make anything work is to melt the RFID chip out of one of their cards.
They don't need permission because they buy a Tesla Model 3 card, and use the RFID chip/antenna in their ring.

If you read the description, that's pretty much exactly what they did... Probably also why it costs like $130.

I use a key fob for a couple of reasons. 1) I need keys to get into my house so I always carry keys and attaching the fob is no problem. 2) I find carrying a phone everywhere is a nuisance; I'm not a slave to my phone and don't feel a need to be connected at all times.

Get yourself the keyfob. There I said it. I know the car was designed and sold to not need one, and when it works, the phone as a key is great, but as many of you have figured out with phone software updates, the phone doesn’t work as well as it once did as a key. It’s hit or miss. The app has to stay open for many. I got the keyfob 6 months ago and it’s flawless every single time. Yeah it’s 150 dollars, so it’s up to each person whether they find the value, but if you can afford a Tesla then you can afford 150 dollars. Purchase one. Not only is it a great conversation piece because it’s the best looking fob, but no more frustration with getting in the car.
I thought about it but decided it was unnecessary. With 27,000 miles I have had to restart my phone 2 times and had to log in another. The backup cards work great.
I suggest a Leatherman Squirt ES4. I use the tiny knife to open up letters and boxes, the two screwdrivers, the pliers and even the wire strippers when redoing random house wiring. Never used the tiny scissors or file. It is always in my pocket ready for use. Best $34.95 I've blown in a long time. The keyfob... Leatherman Squirt ES4 wins hands down. Pocket space deserves useful items.

Another vote for the Squirt ES4. It is awesome. I’ve purchased several of them over the years usually because I forgot it in my pocket when at the airport and had to throw it away / turn it over at security.

I have only had my M3 for a few weeks now, but I’ve already found the phone as a key to be a pain in the butt. However, I had similar problems with the key fob on my Model S. You have to walk up to one of the front doors and turn your body toward the car in order to get it to recognize the phone / fob. Virtually every morning when I walk out to my car and approach from the rear to unplug the charger it won’t come out. I have to either get my phone out and manually unlock it or walk around the car to the front and then back to the charge port before it will release. Another common issue is approaching the back door first to get my kids loaded up won’t unlock the car. I have to go to one of the front doors and turn my body toward the car first, and then go back to the back door. It was the same on my MS with the fob though.

For whatever reason I have never had that issue with hands free entry systems on my other cars. My truck (Ford) opens every time no matter where I approach the vehicle from as long as the fob is on my body somewhere. No turning toward the vehicle or approaching the front doors. Even way back at the tailgate works perfectly every time.

I thought about it but decided it was unnecessary. With 27,000 miles I have had to restart my phone 2 times and had to log in another. The backup cards work great.
I suggest a Leatherman Squirt ES4. I use the tiny knife to open up letters and boxes, the two screwdrivers, the pliers and even the wire strippers when redoing random house wiring. Never used the tiny scissors or file. It is always in my pocket ready for use. Best $34.95 I've blown in a long time. The keyfob... Leatherman Squirt ES4 wins hands down. Pocket space deserves useful items.