Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

I’m so confused about FSD!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had already ordered my Model 3 when I began reading forum threads like this one: RIP FSD. When I read it, I panicked not realizing that it was already a couple of weeks old. I guess that’s how long it takes for issues to go away around here. I still don’t understand why the FSD option was removed to begin with. Am I correct that FSD use to cost just 3k? Now it’s 5k? Has anything happened recently that indicates that full FSD is coming sooner than later? When I was picking my options, I saw FSD for 5k and then the fine print below it that it would be just 6k if purchased later. But I’ve read several posts that the tech could cost considerably more when it becomes available. If a seller states that I can purchase an option for 6k later, are they bound by that offer? Having not taken delivery yet, I’ve debated this with my wife at length. It’s a hard sell for something with no guarantee will even be available during the life of the car. But now since I already have it in my order and the car is supposedly on the way to the dealer, it would probably cost me the $500 to change it now? Just really torn here.

Do you want to loan Tesla a significant anmount of money for an undetermined amount of time with no guarantee of what you will actually receive in return?

Sound not quite on the level? That’s why they pulled the option.

I would be screaming for my money back and reassess if and when it actually becomes available.

You are guaranteed in the very least to get the newest hardware early next year (Q2 at the earliest).

Secondly, you can look at the demos of any self driving competitors as proof that self driving is coming. It's really going to be up to you. If it really is successful, just remember that Elon is claiming he feels that FSD is currently under-priced. Tesla as a company still envisions a future with a self-driving ride sharing network and this was reiterated on the last earnings call..

You are guaranteed in the very least to get the newest hardware early next year (Q2 at the earliest).

Secondly, you can look at the demos of any self driving competitors as proof that self driving is coming. It's really going to be up to you. If it really is successful, just remember that Elon is claiming he feels that FSD is currently under-priced. Tesla as a company still envisions a future with a self-driving ride sharing network and this was reiterated on the last earnings call..
No, you can see that if you throw money at it, you can have a vehicle that crashes more than most drivers, even with annoying, cautious approaches to intersections. So, in my opinion paying a few $k more later is a much better bet. But if you specifically want to support Tesla and can afford to give them the money, go for it.

you can have a vehicle that crashes more than most drivers, even with annoying, cautious approaches to intersections
There's a difference though between fender benders and fatal crashes. FSD would be worth it even if it lead to more minor incidents but less fatal crashes.

So far, with waymo et al, it hasn't led to more crashes than a normal driver. There are specific incidents due to the nature of it being super cautious, but those are still rare per miles driven compared to normal drivers.

It's the same value proposition with EAP. If EAP/TACC can help me better pay attention to the road and prevents me from rear ending someone and totaling my car purely by the combination with how it drives and AEB, then it's worth it. $5000 well spent.

Last edited:
Reactions: dhanson865
We know that AP3 is coming out. Hardware has been validated production line is being build and software team is itching to unleash its power.

Although it is possible that their timeline will slip Ap3 is very important to Tesla and it will happen next year.

As to the cost, 3k was a deal, I would not expect it to cost more than 5k but maybe Tesla will charge 6k for it initially.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: EinSV
They won't charge you anything to add FSD now- it's a software change, not a hardware change... (they won't even charge you $500 for hardware changes unless your car has already been built)

And yes it was 3k pre-delivery for a long time (that's how I got mine for 3k, less than 2 months ago)

They won't charge you anything to add FSD now- it's a software change, not a hardware change

Two points, it's a hardware change according to Elon, remember Elon Musk on Twitter
Although it wasn't in the past, but it is now going forward.

Second, If history has proven anything, I'm sure Tesla will have no problems charging you early and delivering the change later ;)

Two points, it's a hardware change according to Elon, remember Elon Musk on Twitter
Although it wasn't in the past, but it is now going forward.

It's still not a factory HW change at all- since the chip going in at the factory is the same in every single car built on a given day regardless of options.

Which is where the $500 change fee he was asking about comes in- when you're changing factory HW options.

1) are you going to keep car >5 years and,
A) would you use FSD if available?
B) would you “loan” your car to a ride sharing scheme as a revenue source if available?

If 1 isn’t yes and neither A nor B is yes, don’t buy it.

If yes, then consider how you will feel:

1) if FSD is not realized during your ownership (ie, you wasted your $)

2) if FSD becomes reality and you have to pay extra to get it.

Somewhere in there lies your personal answer.

I’m a yes,no,no,n/a,n/a

Reactions: dhanson865

However, even if it is not realized during your ownership, it may add some resale having it on your car when you sell it. So some portion is not wasted. Hopefully if you sell your car in 3 -5 years it is either here (which adds to resale) or very close.

However, even if it is not realized during your ownership, it may add some resale having it on your car when you sell it. So some portion is not wasted. Hopefully if you sell your car in 3 -5 years it is either here (which adds to resale) or very close.
Sure, but I can’t advise anyone to buy a pig in a poke that they don’t plan to use themselves on spec that it MIGHT appear and MIGHT improve resale.

If you believe that FSD will become a reality while you have the car, save the money for the option and invest it in TSLA stocks instead. ;) If they actually pull off full self-driving in the general case in the next few years, the resulting capital gains will easily pay for the upgrade and then some. Of course, there is also a chance that something goes wrong and the stock dives, but that is no worse than buying a package that never delivers meaningful value ...

Reactions: GaryC