Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I-95 in Miami on Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two questions:

1. How does autopilot handle the express lanes?

2. South of the Golden Glades interchange the lane markings are pretty awful and the lane reflectors are absent more often than present. How is autopilot driving in that area? And at night when it's raining, it's impossible to see the lane markings. I'm assuming autopilot struggles with that?

Even in the right lane next to the express lane poles it works, but not reliably so. I keep my hands very firmly on the wheel if I am in that lane because I must take over on about a third of the trips. The narrow lanes aren't the issue, but those poles do overwhelm AP-1 from time to time.

Reactions: alseTrick
It seems to do ok in the express lanes following another car in traffic. However if there is no traffic I am more comfortable steering myself and using TACC only when in the express lanes.

It's not that it doesn't work for... I am just more relaxed and comfortable just steering myself when so close to those poles...

In general AP1 shines in heavy traffic. The advantage is minimized when the road is wide open.

But it is still a great system in my opinion.

what some of you seem to be forgetting that AP1 is a beta, it is not always going to work in all places and circumstances. like the docs say, you need to be able to instantly assume control at any time. this part of the road seems like a place where the AP should not be engaged.

• Disagree
Reactions: ABC2D
what some of you seem to be forgetting that AP1 is a beta, it is not always going to work in all places and circumstances. like the docs say, you need to be able to instantly assume control at any time. this part of the road seems like a place where the AP should not be engaged.
I don't think any of us suggest that. I certainly remember. For example when AP-1 was first activated it would not function on I-95 Express Lanes at all. Now it does function, but needs constant high attention supervision. Just as with most Beta products the simple things work well. If the OP asked about US-1 south of I-95 there would be different story. In the very dense stop and go of US-1 South Dade AP-1 is almost ready for full release.I use it every time and it makes life far easier. I am a very happy Beta AP-1 user.

Reactions: davidc18
The northbound 95Express lanes have many seams in the roadbeds that run parallel to the lane markers. Those seams seem to distract my AP1 to the point that it's hardly worth the trouble. But the southbound express lanes work fine with AP1. But I do stay away from the lane next to the orange poles.