Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I am not getting the Holiday update. what can I do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my 2022 Model Y a few days ago. Checked my software. It showed v10.2 (2021.44.6) and “your car software is up todate as of Dec 25 11:30 am”.
i am not getting the blind spot camera which i what i am most interested in.
Do i wait for Tesla to push or can I pull the s/w update? TIA

Got my 2022 Model Y a few days ago. Checked my software. It showed v10.2 (2021.44.6) and “your car software is up todate as of Dec 25 11:30 am”.
The Tesla Model Y ships with a manufacturing software release version that is stable so you can enjoy your Tesla vehicle with no software issues. After you receive your new Tesla vehicle it takes several weeks, sometimes longer than a month, for Tesla to start to automatically update your Tesla Model Y with the latest software for your vehicle.

Reactions: Brendazzle
While waiting, you can make sure your car is connected to a good wifi signal and also, click "Advanced" on your Software menu.

Brand new cars don't seem to get updates until a couple of months after delivery. My delivery was at the end of October, and I only got an update last week and I was VERY eager to get my 2021.44.6 update and had to do a little hoop jumping / babysitting to actually get the update to install.

Now my MYLR is offering to install the Christmas update (2021.44.25) but I declined. 2021.44.25 is the v11 interface and many folks here in the forums don't seem to be reacting well to it. In my opinion, Tesla rushed it out to provide "a" holiday release. So I'm going to wait a couple of iterations before I allow the car to update. I would indeed like programmable buttons, but at this point they only seem to allow programmable Toybox buttons (things I never use). So I'm sticking with the 2021.44.6 interface.

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

Brand new cars don't seem to get updates until a couple of months after delivery. My delivery was at the end of October, and I only got an update last week and I was VERY eager to get my 2021.44.6 update and had to do a little hoop jumping / babysitting to actually get the update to install.

Now my MYLR is offering to install the Christmas update (2021.44.25) but I declined. 2021.44.25 is the v11 interface and many folks here in the forums don't seem to be reacting well to it. In my opinion, Tesla rushed it out to provide "a" holiday release. So I'm going to wait a couple of iterations before I allow the car to update. I would indeed like programmable buttons, but at this point they only seem to allow programmable Toybox buttons (things I never use). So I'm sticking with the 2021.44.6 interface.

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021
There are also many threads proclaiming love for the new interface.
Majority of the "issues' seem to be that things moved - but overall the functionality hasn't really changed.
Some folks just don't like the cheese being moved :)

Well the first thing you do is disconnect your car from Wi-Fi - that way you don't have to worry about getting the update that everyone is bitching about!

V11 isn't new. It's just new on the Model 3/Y. It's described in the 2021.24 Model S manual from June 2021. I interpret that as:
1) It's not a rush job.
2) There's not going to be a notable set of fixes in the next few updates unless they've been saving some up to release across all V11 models.

There is a difference. The S & X have two screens; the 3 & Y only have 1 screen. So getting the 2-screen S/X interface into the 1-screen 3/Y interface feels like a rush job. I'm all in favor of change. But this new interface seems like more info is buried further down in the menu system. If Tesla would allow all of the features to be set as buttons on the bottom of the screen, then folks would be happy. There's probably room for a dozen buttons.

Everyone's buttons choices are different. For example, the features that I use the most are:
1. A/C temp + recirculate (I live in stinky farm country; no such things as "fresh outside air" unless you like the smell of manure or dead skunks on the side of the road)
2. defrosters
3. car wash mode with full-roll
4. odometer
5. tire pressure

And features that I never use:
1. everything in the Entertainment menu
2. everything in the Toy menu
3. Radio (I don't listen to the radio in my 2021 MYLR. I drive through 3 counties and across a mountain daily, so terrestrial radio is useless to me. Ditto cell-based streaming. My 2006 Infiniti M35 had SiriusXM)

So hopefully, with some future update, Tesla will allow us to put any feature as a button at the bottom of the screen. Until then I'm sitting at 2021.44.6

Scott

--

Reactions: OxBrew
There is a difference. The S & X have two screens; the 3 & Y only have 1 screen. So getting the 2-screen S/X interface into the 1-screen 3/Y interface feels like a rush job.
I should have been clearer that *I* don't see this as being a rush job. It's been months since this was released on the S. Also collapsing the S gauge cluster into the 3/Y screen isn't a new thing. But like most of us I don't have any insight into Tesla's software development. That said if you look at the S V11 manual (or videos) you see that the features generating the most complaints are same. Same missing control strip, same missing icons. Y owners that are unhappy aren't unhappy with V11 on the Y they're unhappy with fundamental choices made in V11.

Reactions: e645824
The people telling you that brand new cars do not get updates are simply not accurate. I have two teslas and within a weekI received an update on my model Y and 2 weeks for my model 3. Place a call to Tesla support - and also open a ticket on your phone. Ive seen a few users on a Facebook group get the holiday update yesterday via those methods.

Be grateful?

I'm in VA also. I've seen the new UI on two of my friend's Teslas. It's horrible and they hate it also. I turned off my WiFi and changed software to Standard setting. I just got the alert on my car a new update was available. I am not downloading that trash and hopefully by they time they force it on me via LTE they will changed several items. The UI is horrific. I was a lead designer/developer of user interfaces for several fortune 500 companies out of college. The "new" UI update looks similar to something I would see out of a high school intern with no understanding of user centric design.

Last edited:
According to the recent Teslarati article in response to issues about the V11 UI, Elon Musk tweeted on Dec 30:

Many UI improvements coming​

The article is here:
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-elon-musk-confirms-v11-ui-improvements-feedback/

As others have mentioned, although the V11 interface has been in Model S/X for awhile, the number of those users is small. If a lot of 3/Y owners complain, then there is more of a mass. Hopefully an updated interface will be forthcoming soon...

Scott

--

The Tesla Model Y ships with a manufacturing software release version that is stable so you can enjoy your Tesla vehicle with no software issues. After you receive your new Tesla vehicle it takes several weeks, sometimes longer than a month, for Tesla to start to automatically update your Tesla Model Y with the latest software for your vehicle.
I was able to update to v11 the day after I picked up car from Fremont factory.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe