Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I can't handle it! - A Rant

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If my friends can't figure out how to open the door, I just tell them - use your thumb like you're going to gouge out Elon Musks eyes for his design choices! :D

The stylish and aero efficient door handles do indeed confuse the uninitiated ... however, other cars have some remarkably similar designs ... some from before Elon Musk was born:

Aston Martin Vantage
Aston Martin Vantage door handle.png

Nissan GTR
Nissan GTR Door handle.png

Jaguar F Type
Jaguar F Type door handle.png

Lamborghini Huracan
Lamborghini Huracan door handle.png

Lexus LC
Lexus LC door handle.png

Fiat Barchetta
Fiat Barchetta door handle.png

Alfa Romeo
Alfa Romeo door handle.png

Mercedes Gullwing
Mercedes Gullwing door handle.png

I've now had a complaint that they ought to light up as my mate can't see them in the dark! And you can't feel them either.

Anyone thought of a solution to this? Maybe some glow in the dark stickers on the inside of the handles. Might just reveal enough through the gaps to be visible.

I've now had a complaint that they ought to light up as my mate can't see them in the dark! And you can't feel them either.

Anyone thought of a solution to this? Maybe some glow in the dark stickers on the inside of the handles. Might just reveal enough through the gaps to be visible.
That was a point I made earlier as well as it drives me mad too - evidently Hansshow and others have a solution but it costs $2,000 and you have to live in the US.

See here

I've seen those self-presenting door handles with lights and they're $500 for a set of 4, not $500 each! You have to take the door cards off though to fit them. Looks a bit of a pain tbh.

Last edited:

At least they have made them chrome so they reflect whatever light there is. I have never had a problem finding them. It's not like they are matt black. that would be really dumb.....oh wait

I've seen those self-presenting door handles with lights and they're $500 for a set of 4, not $500 each! You have to take the door cards off though to fit them. Looks a bit of a pain tbh.

I was looking at the US version of the site which offered fitting including as a choice for $2,000. (Here)

I'm assuming for the handles to light up (and present if you've opted for that too,) would you still need to unlock the car via the app? Or would they automatically present as you approached like the MS handles do?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nick77
At the risk of causing further trauma, I'm okay with the design of the exterior handles, but cannot for the life of me understand why there isn't a heating element in them. These last few weeks, with the chilly weather, I've started warming my car up remotely, but this doesn't defrost the handles, meaning that it's been quite difficult to open the doors at times...

Reactions: Somex