Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I charge my battery to 80% last night and woke up this morning. It was at 82. Does that mean my battery is getting stronger ???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If anything that would mean your battery is getting weaker. Your car would charge to 80, calibrate and be like oh crap, that's actually 82 because the battery has less capacity than I thought! Better adjust it.

But don't worry about it, it doesn't mean anything.

Upvote 0
In a perfect world the state of charge for best life of the prior Lithium Ion batteries would be between 70% and 40%. Even Must said 80/20 is fine.

I do the 70//40 most days because I can. I have sufficient juice to go where I need to go.

If I'm going on a rare road trip I push it as much as needed but only then. Yes, I coddle the battery. I expect to own this car for a while.

Upvote 0
As with all things analog, the question is: how much of a difference does it really make if I let the battery sit at 90% vs. 50%? I regularly charge to 95% before I drive home and arrive at 90% which is when I park the car for 12-18 hours. The car is almost four years old, has about 120,000 km on the clock and the indicated range at 100% is now 462 km. It was 507 km when I got the car.

Even if I kept the SoC lower, calendar degradation would still happen.

Assuming the car can handle 1,500 full charge cycles and that the average range is only 400 km, that would still mean that the battery is good for 600,000 km (or about 372 ,000 miles). At this point I don't really worry too much about an extra percent of battery life time.

Reactions: helobubba
Upvote 0