Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I dare any California person to buy a Mazda-MX30!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's bizarre, they're like 10 years late to the compliance car party. Rest of the industry has moved on or skipped it entirely.

The environment that made compliance cars popular for a while has changed drastically. Most compliance cars were leased/sold at a steep discount from their optimistic MSRP, and today the relative value of a compliance car is basically nil.

Oh who am I kidding, in today's market Mazda will find 500 suckers willing to buy anything at MSRP, who don't realize this new EV is literally a decade out of date.

Reactions: DblOSmith
It's bizarre, they're like 10 years late to the compliance car party. Rest of the industry has moved on or skipped it entirely.

Mazda is gonna have to be dragged kicking and screaming into developing a competitive EV. I think Mazda is still riding fumes from the glory days of their rotary engine that the decision makers aren't able to shake the idea that their brand identify is ICE engines (to the point where they basically skipped the hybrid period most automakers went through).

Reactions: DblOSmith
This Mazda makes for a great 2nd car in two-car households... which may well turn out to be the car that's used more frequently
on a daily basis, because like Mazda suggests, for commuting purposes and running errands, this car suffices 100% of the time.

I can see two developments that may make shorter-range EVs more of an obvious choice:
1. subscription-based, which means that you can easily swap this EV for a long-range EV on a short-notice basis
2. battery-swapping

There is zero chance of a battery swap service for this Mazda. Zero, none, nada. Only battery swaps will be warranty replacements.

Long range EVs as loaners aren't happening either. Mazda doesn't have any. They could offer ICE loaners for road trips. I think another car maker already tried that. They asked their dealers to handle it. That didn't go well, dealers prefer to sell new cars. It would be even worse for Mazda now with car shortages / extremely low dealer inventory. I guess Mazda could run a loaner service themselves (not through dealers), but that would be hugely expensive for a small volume compliance car. Not to mention the issue of having sufficient inventory for holidays.

This Mazda may be a decent car but it's a piece of s*** EV in 2022. They'll sell only because of the insane car market full of desperate car buyers. Even in today's market I wouldn't be surprised if Mazda has to discount these big time. $35k is way too expensive for a short range urban runabout. Just a few grand more gets you any number of hugely better EVs. You'd have to be very desperate for an EV to buy this thing for anywhere close to MSRP.

Mazda Reports December and Full Year 2021 Sales Results | Inside Mazda says they've sold 181 in the US during the span of 2021 that it was out.

Even the lease price currently at Best Electric Car Deals: Lease & Purchase Incentives January 2022 (Updated) isn't very good. It is bizarre to come out with an EV for the US market with this little range at this point in time.

About the only time they might've had a decent chance in the US was when the 30 kWh Leaf was out ('16 SV and SL + '16 "S 30" and all '17). Those had 107 mile EPA range ratings: Compare Side-by-Side.

The pricing is bizarre too at MSRP of $33,740 whereas 40 kWh Leaf (149 mile EPA range rating) MSRP is $27,400 and both are eligible for $7500 Federal tax credit. The price is even higher than the 62 kWh Leaf S Plus w/226 mile EPA range rating. Leaf MSRPs at pricing tab of 2022 Nissan LEAF Press Kit.

Last edited:
Reactions: tm1v2
This car wasn’t intended to be a moneymaker for Mazda. It’s simply a car created to get EV tax credits, nothing more. 500 units is hardly a bump in any automaker’s annual sales report, even for a small company like Mazda. They most likely LOSE money for each one sold.

Compliance car like the Fiat 500e, Mitsubishi MiEV and so many under-100 mile range cars out there during the early 2010’s. Come to think of it, there already is another car just like this one (suicide rear doors, boxy little body, short range EV) made by a certain German automaker, except that company at least had the decency of putting in a gasoline generator in some trims.

The saddest part, however, is all the lies they spew to cover up for what it was really meant to do.

Reactions: DrChaos and tm1v2

It's frustrating because Mazda builds good, competitive, well-priced ICE cars that often punch above their price class in driving experience and premium style. I would like to see them put the same effort into EV's. The MX-30 was laughably out of date and uncompetitive before it even launched.

The packaging is crazy too, it was only ever going to be a small volume car so I guess they gave it a try.

The suicide doors worked ok on the rx-8 but not on this.
RX-8 is a sweet handling sports car with a surprisingly usable back seat, as sports cars go. I love the RX-8 for what it is but I can't fathom why I'd want suicide doors on a crossover.

As far as I know, they have sold all the ones they were going to build this year (500). It's not surprising since it's clearly a compliance car, and there's likely enough people buying it for the novelty to sell it out. I actually saw one charging at the Stanford Shopping Center, and had to laugh.