Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I drive 25K miles per year. Is the Model S right for me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
http://www.teslamotors.com/charging#/calculator. 25,000 miles a year is 68 miles a day which is $2.68 a day, $80.40 a month. It would actually be less as the supercharger trips would be free. That is far less monthly than your Prius costs in gas. That is using sd&e super off peak rate of $0.14/kwh. http://www.sdge.com/ev-rates-resources

The Tesla site calculator does not take into account the cost of adding the second meter, which according to many people on this site, runs around $2K. It also doesn't take into account the 20% ineffeciency loss.

So, I still think the 85kwh model will add about $150 to my electricity bill, which is already $500+ per month.

It doesn't look like it makes financial sense, but cars never do anyway... The intangible experience of driving a fun car def is worth something. The question is, how much?

Have you factored in the fact that all the Supercharging will be free? that should add up quite a bit!!

The Tesla site calculator does not take into account the cost of adding the second meter, which according to many people on this site, runs around $2K. It also doesn't take into account the 20% ineffeciency loss.

So, I still think the 85kwh model will add about $150 to my electricity bill, which is already $500+ per month.

It doesn't look like it makes financial sense, but cars never do anyway... The intangible experience of driving a fun car def is worth something. The question is, how much?

http://www.teslamotors.com/charging#/calculator. 25,000 miles a year is 68 miles a day which is $2.68 a day, $80.40 a month. It would actually be less as the supercharger trips would be free. That is far less monthly than your Prius costs in gas. That is using sd&e super off peak rate of $0.14/kwh. http://www.sdge.com/ev-rates-resources

Based on what I see on my Tesla and energy consumption from my Edison stats:

68 miles * 350watt/mi = 23.8kWh
Vampire losses (daily) = 4kWh <-- Tesla, please work on this..
total = 27.8kWh
charging inefficiency loss 20% = 27.8*1.2=33.36kWh
cost at .14 kWh = $4.67 or $140/month.

- - - Updated - - -

Quick Question: Did you already get the 12,500 mile service? ( I did a quick search but couldn't find a thread on it)
If you have had the first service, any information you can share?

I was at the costa mesa service center today and they mentioned several cars were there for their annuals (12,000 mi) service even though it's only been 6 months.

I drive a bit over 21,000 miles/year and that is one of the main reasons for getting a Model S: fuel savings!

My concern is with the "compulsory" service intervals of 1 year/12,500 miles. I will need almost two "annual" services per year, and am still not convinced it is necessary or essential. I'll probably still buy a 4-year plan, but it will actually only last me less than 2.5 years.

Same with me, however the Bellevue store manager assures me that I would never be asked to bring it in more than once a year. He says they really do consider it an "annual" visit. He keeps making the point that they simply need to see your car on a regular basis and annual is all they need.

Same with me, however the Bellevue store manager assures me that I would never be asked to bring it in more than once a year. He says they really do consider it an "annual" visit. He keeps making the point that they simply need to see your car on a regular basis and annual is all they need.

Good to know. I'll be sure to bring that up when I pick up my car.

Quick Question: Did you already get the 12,500 mile service? ( I did a quick search but couldn't find a thread on it)
If you have had the first service, any information you can share?

I have. They needed to keep it overnight. They didn't have the prepaid plans available yet, so they charged me the regular price and promised to credit it toward the plan when I get it. Cost was $5xx something. Didn't watch the service so nothing more to report.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm.... Not my experience. I was told to do the service at 12.5k miles.

- - - Updated - - -

How are your tires holding up?

Great! The 21" tires still have at least half the tread left. And I do plenty of spirited driving.

I just spoke to SDG&E here in orange county, ca and they told me that I do not need a second meter. Once I have the EV, I fill out a form that they emailed to me that changes my plan to a TOU, time of use, plan that makes my night charging rate at $.14/kwh no matter how much energy I pull. I also have solar. Weather or not you have solar you will be spending the $.14/kwh to charge your EV. Not the tier 4/5 ($.38/kwh) that you would be in otherwise.