Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I Enjoy the Car, I Really Dislike Tesla the Car Company

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

4. Is it too much to expect a car company that has a higher valuation than GM, Ford, VW, Toyota (maybe even combined) to run a smooth service dept?

Kind of a red flag here. How is this relevant? This is an obviously unfair apples to oranges comparison. The established car makers are service oriented and have been doing this forever.

Tesla doesn't set its own stock price. Would it make you feel better if it's stock dropped to $50? The company sells and services orders of magnitude fewer automobiles than GM, Ford, and VW. Tesla's lofty stock multiple is due to Tesla not acting like a traditional automaker. The company actually innovates instead of recycling the same garbage over and over.

Reactions: bhzmark
Kind of a red flag here. How is this relevant? This is an obviously unfair apples to oranges comparison. The established car makers are service oriented and have been doing this forever.

Tesla doesn't set its own stock price. Would it make you feel better if it's stock dropped to $50? The company sells and services orders of magnitude fewer automobiles than GM, Ford, and VW. Tesla's lofty stock multiple is due to Tesla not acting like a traditional automaker. The company actually innovates instead of recycling the same garbage over and over.

Why is this relevant?

Because their higher stock valuation means they have very cheap access to capital.

That means, they should have the resources to build out great service centers to support "us" customers...

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark and bonaire

Why is this relevant?

Because their higher stock valuation means they have very cheap access to capital.

That means, they should have the resources to build out great service centers to support "us" customers...
That's kind of a disappointing response. Obviously you know Tesla is building out its service centers. You also know that Tesla does not have anything close to the access to capital that VW and GM have, in spite of its current valuation. That leaves you with nothing really.

Thanks for following my posts... you must be fan...

To comment...

My car is not a Lemon.

For the most part, it drives great...

I just have an issue w/ Tesla the car company and how they deal w/ their existing car owners.

Things should JUST BE A LOT SMOOTHER...

I hope my posts help GUIDE Tesla to that path...

and also inform new Tesla would be buyers about what they're getting themselves into (as it stands in 2017)

1. Is it acceptable that I have to make numerous phone calls, emails and chase TESLA down to get an appointment?
2. Am I whining if I get a Tesla loaner car that happens to be filthy inside w/ littered soda bottles and food?
3. Am I being over zealous if my car comes back from a warranty service w/ additional "broken" things that wasn't there before?
4. Is it too much to expect a car company that has a higher valuation than GM, Ford, VW, Toyota (maybe even combined) to run a smooth service dept?

Tesla the automobile is something special, but Tesla the car company is anything but below average (from my very humble experieince)...

Please PM me -- would like to help you.

Thanks,

Jon

I think the issues you're describing are Tesla as a company type of a thing but more of a crappy customer service. Which is true. I have a video about it and I'm hoping they'll get their *sugar* together soon. I think these are growing pains of a new company. But I don't think Tesla as a company in general is bad, I think it's awesome actually.

Reactions: avesraggiana
Your posts won't help Tesla. This isn't the company's message board and their employees do not active monitor.

Service quality also varies by geography, which is unfortunate. I think it is fair to complain. But at a certain point people are going to think it is excessive.
Somebody just did exactly that and stepped up to the plate...

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
I assume the delay in your service appointment is more about the area you live in and not necessarily typical for Tesla SvCs in general, and it's certainly an issue for owners if appointments are that far out. I don't believe we are seeing that issue up here however as they recently added a SvC to the SF south bay area. When I was tracking our car's delivery on the spreadsheet I saw quite a number of cars going to the LA area and heard there was a healthy population of Teslas down there already. Hopefully you guys have more SvC opening up soon or expanding bays in existing ones. Real estate to set up new ones and getting them zoned and approved has got to be hassle in Calif. With so many new Teslas hitting the street this last quarter, undoubtedly there will be more people looking to get in to get minor issues taken care of. I'm sure better QC at the factory before shipping would help although ours and a number of those getting their cars around the same time as us didn't report any real issues on delivery.

I can say that we've only had 1 "major" issue with our new 2017 since owning it--charging port in car would intermittently not work, went red so we couldn't charge--but we brought it in on a Saturday when we discovered it, they got the part ordered and installed it on Tuesday. Hubby didn't want the hassle with driving a loaner from them (which was offered) so instead they arranged for an Uber to bring him from his office to pick the car up which he was just fine with that. He just had to get in the car and they arranged the rest including texting him when the car was near the office. When we got our car back nothing else was wrong with it.

Our EAP is working as expected so the fact you don't have TACC etc on your new car is definitely an issue. Hubby likes using the TACC often so I can see especially if you drive a lot of highway that it would be really missed. I'm sure if you had been able to get your car in soon after discovering the issues and had it fixed you'd be feeling better about things. Hang in there and sorry your wait has been so long. I do think with this being a fairly young company who still has a lot of growing pains with adding SvCs, plant personnel, engineers, expanding the SCs, etc owning an increasingly popular vehicle like this is going to have more ups and downs than owning a Toyota, Benz, etc.

Reactions: avesraggiana
I don't think 'viciously attack' means what you think it means - all I see are differences of opinion. 'Viciously attack' seems a bit over the top. Woof.

Okay only sometimes. I will say that the other owners, and the community and their willingness to help, is the #2 best part of owning a Tesla. The #1 being not burning oil.

Now only if I could get my service center to return my calls, or Tesla to reply to my more than 50 emails now (not a single one replied to) and fix my sunroof after 3 failed tries .. I'll quit barking so much!

PS: I should be clear that the people working at the service center are awesome. Its just that they are too damned busy, or it seems like it.

Reactions: bonnie

Why is this relevant?

Seems like a lot of people have misconceptions about what a high valuation means. It doesn't help Tesla unless they do a capital raise. The high number is just mainly significant to the people playing the stock trading game. By the time Tesla gets around doing the raise it might be down again.

I guess that discredits everything I just said.

Not everything. Again, you miss my point. I said you have valid concerns but the manner in which you express your concerns is so over the top and what I pointed out proves my point -- you even suggested that Tesla maybe had a value worth more than GM, Ford, VW and Toyota "combined". Now that's just absurd and the fact that you would even suggest that shows the route you like to take when it comes to calling out Tesla, facts be damned.

I know you're being sarcastic but this is not about winning and losing. It's about expressing concerns fairly so we give potential buyers a realistic picture of what it is like to own a Tesla today. I can't imagine ever buying another brand of vehicle and I bet your next vehicle is another Tesla too -- but you'd never know it from your posts.

Now only if I could get my service center to return my calls, or Tesla to reply to my more than 50 emails now (not a single one replied to) and fix my sunroof after 3 failed tries .. I'll quit barking so much!

I don't get this. Service doesn't reply to you at all, not after calls or sending them over 50 emails, yet they failed to fix your sunroof after 3 tries. So they must have replied to get your car in for service three times? Then I guess they stopped replying, and you then sent over 50 emails? After less than a dozen with no reply I can't see myself continuing to send over 50. There's so much hyperbole in this thread it's hard to know what to take seriously.

Last edited:
Not everything. Again, you miss my point. I said you have valid concerns but the manner in which you express your concerns is so over the top and what I pointed out proves my point -- you even suggested that Tesla maybe had a value worth more than GM, Ford, VW and Toyota "combined". Now that's just absurd and the fact that you would even suggest that shows the route you like to take when it comes to calling out Tesla, facts be damned.
I know you're being sarcastic but this is not about winning and losing. It's about expressing concerns fairly so we give potential buyers a realistic picture of what it is like to own a Tesla today. I can't imagine ever buying another brand of vehicle and I bet your next vehicle is another Tesla too -- but you'd never know it from your posts.

With all due respect...

My point isn't to provide financial literacy about auto company market caps..

I was trying to point out the fact that TESLA is a highly valued company.

So I was off on my #'s... It doesnt't mean I'm exaggerating my personal experiences...

My point is VALID.

Tesla is highly valued, has access to cheap capital, thus no excuses to properly fund their service centers and offer world class service.

No excuses.

You're trying to take 1 misfact I posted (off the cuff) and use it to invalidate my entire thread...

... and I am giving the public a REAL view of what it's like to own a TESLA today in 2017.... BECAUSE I'M LIVING IT...

I'm pealing away the onion.. and sharing that experience...

Last edited:
Several years back, I bought a new Mercedes, had problems with service depart. I walked in the GM office, asked if he had a minute? I called Stugartt , spoke German to the head of customer service. I never had any more problems.
Musk must be told about these problems, or they will never get fixed. The dealers will never tell anyone.

Well my honest assessment, based on over six years of interactions, is all positive.

Does that make me a fangirl because I haven't had the same experience as you? Or is that just an easy way to dismiss any real life experience that is not in alignment with your beliefs? Six plus years of experience. Seems like that should count for something.

Yeah, Bonnie,

I'd like to see the numbers. How many good experiences vs how many bad. My experiences have been positive. Never had any of these problems but the rattle in the pano that was fixed in 15 minutes. Admittedly, I have probably said nice things close to the 42 time limit, but in my defense, they were nearly all in responses to very negative posts.
I also admit to being a fanboy (OK, fanoldman), but it's because my car is the Best. Car. Ever.

Reactions: bonnie
Somebody just did exactly that and stepped up to the plate...

Hopefully this is resolved soon then. As much as I find the constant barrage of complaint threads distasteful, I strongly believe that customers should have vehicle issues resolved promptly.

It is certainly the style rather than the substance of the thread that is the issue.

Reactions: ChadS