Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I expected my Model X and Tesla service to fail me.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've dealt with a great deal of inconvenience, of which is extremely unacceptable for a new vehicle purchase of over $120,000.

Except that these instances of inconvenience have been well-documented since the beginning of Tesla. You knew the risks going in, and accepted them anyway when you made the purchase. Sounds like buyer's remorse and sour grapes, and I can't feel sorry enough for you to read the rest of your post.

Except that these instances of inconvenience have been well-documented since the beginning of Tesla. You knew the risks going in, and accepted them anyway when you made the purchase. Sounds like buyer's remorse and sour grapes, and I can't feel sorry enough for you to read the rest of your post.

Wait wait wait. I knew the risks going in? And I accepted that? Huh? Says who?

More importantly, why should anyone expect the possibility that all of these malfunctions happen on a new car purchase? This was in fact an inventory model, but it is NEW.

I get that anything is possible, I'm a realist. However, despite Tesla being a new company with a car that is doing new things, that by no means exempts it from being treated as any other car, specially when they're claiming to have a certain level of luxury and charge the prices that they're charging.

You don't improve a product without trial and error. A company does not grow without feedback. Mistakes happen. However, if you and anyone else that shares your mindset keeps shrugging off these very important issues that need to be acknowledged, Tesla will have a much harder time becoming successful.

At the end of the day, we're the ones buying the cars, not just randomly typing away at forums. Our opinions matter.

Maybe he read about owners of Tesla saying that they were the most satisfied owners in the history of ownership.

Maybe he read about owners of Tesla saying that they were the most satisfied owners in the history of ownership.

Which would give you the idea that the OP's experience is the exception and not the rule no? Sounds like a bad vehicle/experience and if true I make no excuses for Tesla. However, with as much hate as their is towards Tesla and my own personal experience, I'm always a little skeptical when I hear these stories.

I feel differently however about the "Sky is falling" threads regarding easily fixable issues. Maybe I'm the only one that does research before spending nearly 100k on a vehicle, but I fully expect to have some issues, Just like every other car I've ever owned.

We can play a game, name a model car that you think has never had a manufacturing defect that can't be disproved within 5 minutes of googling.

Which would give you the idea that the OP's experience is the exception and not the rule no? Sounds like a bad vehicle/experience and if true I make no excuses for Tesla. However, with as much hate as their is towards Tesla and my own personal experience, I'm always a little skeptical when I hear these stories.

I feel differently however about the "Sky is falling" threads regarding easily fixable issues. Maybe I'm the only one that does research before spending nearly 100k on a vehicle, but I fully expect to have some issues, Just like every other car I've ever owned.

We can play a game, name a model car that you think has never had a manufacturing defect that can't be disproved within 5 minutes of googling.

Maybe I'm just lucky, I can list the issues Ive had with my vehicles over 27 years in just a couple mins.

85 cougar: 1990-1992 first car, used, paint was crackled, had it repainted: $500
88 firebird: 1992-1997 front right bearing grinding. I think it was $175 to fix.
97 dakota: owned 3 years traded it in because it wasn't 4 wheel drive
00 F150: owned 8 years, 4x4 not engaging in year 7, $125 to fix
08 F150: Owned 9 years, alternator/battery went out in year 9, $800
17 F150 Limited: 8 months, no issues, awesome vehicle

On the alternator/battery issue, I had my vehicle back the same day.

Reactions: Martin VanB
Maybe I'm just lucky, I can list the issues Ive had with my vehicles over 27 years in just a couple mins.

85 cougar: 1990-1992 first car, used, paint was crackled, had it repainted: $500
88 firebird: 1992-1997 front right bearing grinding. I think it was $175 to fix.

Those aren't exactly exotic vehicles. I'm not defending Tesla, because the fact is they have quality and service issues that desperately need fixing, but my experience with my BMWs led me to always maintain an extended warranty.

2000 BMW M Roadster: Power seat, master and slave clutch cylinder.
2002 BMW 540i: Radiator, water pump, expansion tank, valve cover gaskets, transmission (6M), fuel pump, multi-information display, alternator. Radiator, water pump, expansion tank and valve cover gaskets were chronic problems.
2007 BMW M6: Relatively problem free, but I got rid of it when the hydraulic clutch assembly started to misbehave since extended warranty wouldn't cover it and it would have been a $4000+ repair.
2010 BMW X5M: Repeated hydraulic lifter failures, crankcase vent lines, engine partitions, expansion tank. Finally ditched it when the extended warranty paid out $12,000 in lifter repairs over 2 years and threatened to deny future repairs.
2013 BMW X6M: Crankcase vent lines, engine partitions, expansion tank. X5M and X6M have chronic problems with failures due to high under-hood temps. The turbos and catalytic converters sit in the engine valley and break down nearby plastic components.

All the BMWs were a dream to drive, but they spent a lot of time in the shop. Only the 540 ever left me stranded though, because of radiator and water pump. The rest were SES light, noises or odors and could be serviced when convenient.

I expected problems with the Model X and I've experienced the expected door issues. What I really care about, is it not leaving me stranded.

My point wasn't "what vehicles have you owned that are trouble free" because by that standard there are plenty of Tesla owners that can make the same claim. Logic fail.

The point was name a vehicle that didn't have a design flaw (meaning a measurable
Percentage of the produced vehicles had the issue, not equal to 100%).

I have a 94 Landcruiser, known issue is the head gasket failing but I bought used so it was either fixed before I bought it or was not one that failed. Birfield joints are also known failure point, mine currently make noise and will need to be replaced (replaced these on same model previously owned due to failure). TOYOTA!

I have a 2011 BMW 335d, known issue is carbon buildup in cylinder heads causing major issue. I have last model year and was mostly fixed by then, earlier models not so much. I have not experienced the issue personally. I did just get the pleasure of spending $1400 replacing 4-5 sensors in the Def system and I did them all aftermarket, dealer would have cost 4K quoted. Known issue and I was unlucky on this one.

I did not go on BMW forums and cry like a baby, I fixed it and moved on. When I bought this vehicle as a CPO it had a bent subframe from previous owner that BMW did not disclose or they missed during their CPO inspection, cost many thousands to fix but I was able to claim on my insurance as road impact damage.

Did not go online and whine about it once, fixed it and moved on.

I've been well over 30 days without my vehicle these past six moths.
https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/Consumers/Consumer_Advisories/Automobile_Lemon_Law/ appears to be the place to look regarding PA's lemon law.

Side note: It's a bit perplexing to me that Krazaak would continue to buy BMWs given his experiences with them. I wouldn't but I'm not a BMW fan and am often amused when people make comparisons to BMW about reliability, which doesn't have a particularly good record in that department, esp when it comes to long-term reliability.

Reactions: Icer
Those aren't exactly exotic vehicles. I'm not defending Tesla, because the fact is they have quality and service issues that desperately need fixing, but my experience with my BMWs led me to always maintain an extended warranty.

2000 BMW M Roadster: Power seat, master and slave clutch cylinder.
2002 BMW 540i: Radiator, water pump, expansion tank, valve cover gaskets, transmission (6M), fuel pump, multi-information display, alternator. Radiator, water pump, expansion tank and valve cover gaskets were chronic problems.
2007 BMW M6: Relatively problem free, but I got rid of it when the hydraulic clutch assembly started to misbehave since extended warranty wouldn't cover it and it would have been a $4000+ repair.
2010 BMW X5M: Repeated hydraulic lifter failures, crankcase vent lines, engine partitions, expansion tank. Finally ditched it when the extended warranty paid out $12,000 in lifter repairs over 2 years and threatened to deny future repairs.
2013 BMW X6M: Crankcase vent lines, engine partitions, expansion tank. X5M and X6M have chronic problems with failures due to high under-hood temps. The turbos and catalytic converters sit in the engine valley and break down nearby plastic components.

All the BMWs were a dream to drive, but they spent a lot of time in the shop. Only the 540 ever left me stranded though, because of radiator and water pump. The rest were SES light, noises or odors and could be serviced when convenient.

I expected problems with the Model X and I've experienced the expected door issues. What I really care about, is it not leaving me stranded.

They are fun to drive but the items listed above are why I don't have one. My assoc has 3 BMW and they are always in the shop.
I think luxury car buyers are weirdly forgiving about problems that arise. They have other autos and can get around. If we take a
day off of work we can still pay the bills. But it is an annoyance.
A new F150 Limited is 70k... more than an E class or 5 series. The vehicle is Ford's lifeblood, they can't afford to have people in the
shop... otherwise they will go buy a silverado or Ram. In my weird logic, I have to assume that Ford will go to great lengths to make
sure the lifeblood of their company keeps on rolling while taking a beating.

Kraaz... maybe you should lease.

• Funny
Reactions: Icer
They are fun to drive but the items listed above are why I don't have one. My assoc has 3 BMW and they are always in the shop.
I think luxury car buyers are weirdly forgiving about problems that arise. They have other autos and can get around. If we take a
day off of work we can still pay the bills. But it is an annoyance.
A new F150 Limited is 70k... more than an E class or 5 series. The vehicle is Ford's lifeblood, they can't afford to have people in the
shop... otherwise they will go buy a silverado or Ram. In my weird logic, I have to assume that Ford will go to great lengths to make
sure the lifeblood of their company keeps on rolling while taking a beating.

Kraaz... maybe you should lease.
What I tell myself so I can sleep at night, is that a high powered, precision piece of equipment requires maintenance and upkeep. The problems I had with the BMWs were part of the price I paid for the driving experience. When people used to ask about the cars, especially the Ms, I'd tell them that they were brilliant to drive and when they're in the shop for regular care, you get another nice BMW to drive. In 15+ years of BMW ownership, they only failed to give me a BMW loaner one time.

If the driving experience was less important to you than it's function as a people mover, then those were not the right cars for you.

In my opinion, that's the dangerous line that Tesla is straddling. The ability to fuel at home and reduced maintenance requirements make them attractive vehicles for people interested in reliable people-movers, but Tesla's flair for over-engineering and somewhat inexperienced service organization can result in some ownership pains that those types of owners are going to be extremely dissatisfied with.

I did my research before buying and I anticipated that I'd experience more than an average number of problems because I purchased a 2016 Model X from inventory. I've encountered the FWD door issues (still getting some phantom obstacles), the yellowed screen and noisy front half-shafts. The SC has always treated me well, but I've been in 3 ICE loaners and 2 Teslas. For me, getting an ICE loaner should be the equivalent of BMWs once in 15 years non-BMW loaner. The SC should be stocked with Tesla loaners and schedule appointments around their availability.

I don't think current Tesla owners are doing anyone a favor by trying to hide Tesla's faults. They make some brilliant automobiles, but they have some issues. As long as you're willing to accept them, then you're going to be happy.

https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/Consumers/Consumer_Advisories/Automobile_Lemon_Law/ appears to be the place to look regarding PA's lemon law.

Side note: It's a bit perplexing to me that Krazaak would continue to buy BMWs given his experiences with them. I wouldn't but I'm not a BMW fan and am often amused when people make comparisons to BMW about reliability, which doesn't have a particularly good record in that department, esp when it comes to long-term reliability.
I suspect the reason I kept driving BMWs closely mirrors the reasons why Tesla's rank middle (Model S) to bottom (Model X) in reliability ratings, but rank at the top in owner loyalty. The real test drives for my M series BMWs took place on the BMW Performance Center's track, the drive at purchase time was just a formality. The smile on my face with the foot to the floor in my M6, X5M or X6M was only rivaled by the one on my face in my Model X P100D. For me, there's a big difference between being towed in and scheduling a service appointment where I swap my car out for a loaner. I only got towed in twice in 15 years and I can live with that. Excepting my 1st BMW, I also never owned one without having an active warranty or extended warranty, so I was never faced with unexpected costs. I have no intentions of owning this Model X past the point that I can maintain an extended warranty either.

What I tell myself so I can sleep at night, is that a high powered, precision piece of equipment requires maintenance and upkeep. The problems I had with the BMWs were part of the price I paid for the driving experience. When people used to ask about the cars, especially the Ms, I'd tell them that they were brilliant to drive and when they're in the shop for regular care, you get another nice BMW to drive. In 15+ years of BMW ownership, they only failed to give me a BMW loaner one time.

If the driving experience was less important to you than it's function as a people mover, then those were not the right cars for you.

In my opinion, that's the dangerous line that Tesla is straddling. The ability to fuel at home and reduced maintenance requirements make them attractive vehicles for people interested in reliable people-movers, but Tesla's flair for over-engineering and somewhat inexperienced service organization can result in some ownership pains that those types of owners are going to be extremely dissatisfied with.

I did my research before buying and I anticipated that I'd experience more than an average number of problems because I purchased a 2016 Model X from inventory. I've encountered the FWD door issues (still getting some phantom obstacles), the yellowed screen and noisy front half-shafts. The SC has always treated me well, but I've been in 3 ICE loaners and 2 Teslas. For me, getting an ICE loaner should be the equivalent of BMWs once in 15 years non-BMW loaner. The SC should be stocked with Tesla loaners and schedule appointments around their availability.

I don't think current Tesla owners are doing anyone a favor by trying to hide Tesla's faults. They make some brilliant automobiles, but they have some issues. As long as you're willing to accept them, then you're going to be happy.

It's more than function to me. Often during the day we may visit clients driving an E class or 5 series... very nice cars but at the end of the day when I step up into my supercrew and ease into the giant cockpit.... yea that is my kinda driving experience.

The heated massaging seats are nice too.

If you're getting a new bmw every 3 years, why not get a nice fat check for your trade-in and lease?

It's more than function to me. Often during the day we may visit clients driving an E class or 5 series... very nice cars but at the end of the day when I step up into my supercrew and ease into the giant cockpit.... yea that is my kinda driving experience.

The heated massaging seats are nice too.

If you're getting a new bmw every 3 years, why not get a nice fat check for your trade-in and lease?
I bought most of them 2-3 years old and low mileage. Still under factory warranty for at least a year and always with an extended warranty that's prorated by time/mileage. Depreciation hit in the first 2-3 years is massive, as much as 60% and I only lose another 15-20% or so over the next 2 years. Leasing avoids some of the trade-in loss, but you're still paying for the depreciation at the steepest part of the curve. I only bought the Tesla new because I found one with a $22k showroom discount and with the tax credit, got into a P100D for $120k.

The trick now, will be seeing if I can resist the urge to change cars in 2 years. If I extend the warranty and keep the Tesla for 6 years, with fuel and maintenance savings, it'll be the cheapest vehicle I've owned in a while.

On June 23rd, 2017 I picked up my new Tesla Model X. Since then, my vehicle has now been at a service center for a total of 6 times. With each instance, I've dealt with a great deal of inconvenience, of which is extremely unacceptable for a new vehicle purchase of over $120,000. I now turn to all of you and hope for your thoughts and advise on what actions I should take on this matter. I'd greatly appreciate it. This is my story:

Instance #1:

Two days after finalizing my purchase for a new Model X online, I received a phone call from a Tesla sales rep offering me a new inventory model, which I would receive within a couple weeks. The conditions were that I would have to pay an additional $500 because of the added upgrades on the inventory model that were not included in my initial order. Prior to agreeing, I specifically asked if I would still qualify for the state and federal incentives because of the increased mileage on the car, and I was assured that I would receive them in the full amount.

To my surprise, on the day of pickup, I was told that I did not qualify for the state incentives because the vehicle exceeded the minimum mileage requirement. I expressed disappoint as I felt I was taken advantage of, but regardless, still signed the documents. However, the car was not properly cleaned, and the employee who gave orientation was very rude. Additionally, the car had a number of problems (falcon doors popping and making loud noises, cosmetic damages in the interior and exterior of the car, speakers rattling, etc.). Furthermore, the odometer did not match what was given to me online.

Overall, service was incredibly poor. I was not given a sendoff, nor greeted kindly. It more like: "Hey there, you here to pick up the car? Cool. Here's the papers you need to sign. This guy give will give you an orientation on how to drive the car. I'll see you afterwards on your way out." That was the last I saw of this person. Later that evening I sent the service center an email expressing my disappointment in the experience. They offered to fix the car, but had to drive an hour and a half each way to have the issues with the car addressed. I was told they would look into the information that was misinformed in regards to the state incentives, and that they would do what they can.

As a result, I was offered all of the weather tech mats, which I agreed, but only received the front two mats. I questioned why they didn't send all the mats, and they simply said they couldn't do that. Not sure why I was told they'd send all of them in the first place, and although I appreciated the front two mats, it was still disappointing being told one thing, and not get what was promised, again.

Instance #2:

About a month later my tire pressure sensors broken down, and did not show any numbers on the car. Additionally, I tried the ModelXmas feature, however, the song stopped a few seconds in, leaving the doors stuck wide open in their highest position. I was unable to close the doors, and they would spring wide open. For over 1 hour, I tried everything I possibly could, and was on the phone with roadside assistance until we figured out a solution. Once we got the doors closed, I was told that the vehicle was "unsafe to drive" by the rep, and that I had to take the vehicle in for service asap. Once again, I was left with major inconvenience, and ending up commuting all the way to have the vehicle serviced for the second time.

Instance #3:

Within a couple weeks, a number of new issues arrised with the car. The battery efficiency of the vehicle was very poor (in warm weather), falcon doors again continued to pop, etc. These issues resulted in my 3rd visit within two months. Once again, leaving me inconvenienced to commute all the way back to have my vehicle serviced. This time, I opted to visit Tesla Springfield, as I refused to go back to the Devon service center. After a couple weeks, I received a call from Tesla and was told that they found some defects with my batter pack. I was told that it would have to be sent back to California so that it could be repaired, and that I would be left with a "loaner pack" until they've received my refurbished battery. At this point I expressed high concern for my vehicle, and request my car be replaced with a new Model X, of which was denied. They did however honor their offer of all the weather mats, and installed the rear passenger piece. However, I was still very disappointed.

Instance #4:

Within 48 hours of picking up my vehicle for the 3rd time, I was in the middle of a long commute, and drove to the nearest supercharge from me. Once I arrived, I had only a couple miles left in the car, but once I plugged the car in, I got an error message on my car that said the charging port needed to be replaced and that it was unable to charge. This left me extremely concerned, and once I called roadside assistance, my only option at the time was to drive to the nearest destination charger to see if I could get just enough to recharge the vehicle. I had to drive under 20mph just to arrive to the next charger, and although I was able to squeeze some charging in, I was left stranded and ended up sleeping in my car until I had just enough charge to make it home for a very important meeting I had the next morning (of which I ended up missing anyway because of this). This happened very late in the evening, and none of the service centers were open at the time, so being stranded was my only choice.

At this point, I demanded my vehicle be replaced or have a price reduction on my car. I felt I had been through enough to deserve a return, specially having found out the battery was defective and the charging port broken down resulting in me going back to service twice in one week after the new purchase of car. I was then told that the battery they placed in the car was actually a new one, but they did not notify me of this and there was a lot on inconsistency as to what each employee told me. I spoke to the manage to get clarification, and he stated that it was a new battery, however, the invoice he read back to me did not even match what my invoice stated. He specifically said that the invoice indicated a new battery replacement, but the invoice I received did not match up at all, so I didn't know what to believe anymore. To this day I have no idea what's in my car and I feel this lack of communication is highly unacceptable.

Again, I was denied the request but was offered 4 years of complimentary maintenance. Of which helped, but was still greatly disappointed as I feel my car has proven to be defective and deemed unsafe to drive on multiple occasions. At this time, I stated that I felt I needed more from a customer service standpoint because I wanted some reassurance that the car would be safe and reliable as advertised. Unfortunately, I was told that there was nothing else they could do. This time, they did send a tow truck to come pick up the car... No matter, this was just the start of many more issues to arise, and thus, my car was now headed back into service for the 4th time.

Instance #5:

This was the beginning of what led me to write this post. Once again, my Model X had a lot of the recurring issues stated above, made a few strange noises and rattling while driving, and shortly after was left stranded in the highway after the battery powered off within two minutes of having 8 miles left on my charge (driving just 55mph). The car gave me a notification that the 12V battery needed servicing, air suspension needed servicing, and key battery need replacing. When on the phone with roadside assistance, I was told ONCE AGAIN that the vehicle needed to be taken to service ASAP as it was "unsafe to drive". At this point, I've lost a lot of patience. Again I requested the car be replaced or price be reduced, or given something that would make up for the countless financial and time inconveniences I've dealt with work as a result of these problems. Of course, the request was denied and the car was now headed to service for the 5th time. This time, I was stuck driving a rental as they were out of Tesla loaners, and the best Tesla would offer was a tow truck be sent to me.

Instance #6

Within 24 hours, a loaner was returned to the service center, of which I was notified about, and so I drove back to the service center to make the exchange. However, within another 24 hours after picking up that newly returned loaner, I received a call from Tesla stating that the vehicle had to be returned immediately because they had received error messages that there was something wrong with the battery and that it was unsafe to drive. This was right in the middle of the work day, as I was commuting between stops. I kindly asked to be give a call back in 45 minutes as I was attending to some work and wanted to rearrange my schedule so I could make the exchange, but shortly after getting off the phone, an alarm went off inside the car and would not stop or turn off even after pulling over and turning off the vehicle. At this point, I was extremely concerned and did not have the time to make an exchange via tow truck, so I decided to drive to the service center as I happened to be just 20 minutes away by coincidence.

Anyhow, this ONCE AGAIN resulted in many inconveniences to me. I kindly asked for the car to be replaced or price be reduced again. Although this was a loaner issue, I feel its extremely unacceptable for anyone to go through so many problems. That request was once again denied, and was offered another Tesla loaner vehicle I could exchange with while I was there at service to take home. I was left with having to wait about an hour before being able to head home with the second loaner. I expressed disappointment and that something in addition had to be done, and was told to let management know what else I wanted in return... Which, by the way, don't feel is my job to do.

Instance #7:

The next morning (two days ago), I was contacted by the manager and notified that some "cosmetic damage" was accidentally caused to my Model X while it was at service. The manager sent pictures of the damage - a small puncture, about an inch long, to the front bumper of the car. I was offered either complimentary replacement of all 4 tires on my car, or an increase in warranty to 75k miles. I expressed extreme disappointment and feel it is not enough to compensate. The manager offered to have the front bumper replaced with a new bumper free of charge, however, it would require an additional week for repair. Although I was disappointed because I've had exterior detailing and coating done (which costed a lot of money) to my Model X, I accepted these terms - However, earlier today I'm told that the part is just being repaired, and not replaced with a new piece. I did NOT authorize this change, and quite frankly is highly unacceptable. I had an understanding that the bumper be replaced, however, the manager stated that the repair shop already began repairs. This is NOT okay.

Instance #8

Additionally, I discovered YESTERDAY (after being stopped by police) that the 2nd loaner I was placed in was neither INSPECTED nor REGISTERED since 2016. Not 2017, 2016. Are you kidding me? I notified Tesla immediately and they sent a 3rd loaner to me in just a one week period, again, causing even more inconveniences... I honestly have no more words to say. I'm genuinely concerned about the reliability of the Model X I purchased, as well as my personal, professional, and financial safety. I'm honestly amazed at the lack of care and level of neglect I've dealt with because I don't know of any other Tesla owners that have dealt with what I had to deal with. I really don't want anyone else to go through this. Just want to put an end to it and come up with a solution so I can move on because I really do love Tesla, and will continue to support Tesla's vision. However, something needs to be done, it's just not fair... What are your thoughts?

Please advise.
I am so sorry for all of your inconveniences. We have a Model X as well and have a lot of the same issues that you listed above. Given everything that you have been through I would suggest it is time to “lawyer up”. Good Luck.

If your time is valuable to you, I suggest hiring an attorney and letting him deal with the problems. But make sure you hire an attorney who is especially good with cases like yours.

Also, file a report with the Better Business Bureau. That may induce Tesla to solve the problems to prevent damaging their reputation. Check out other methods to make Tesla fear for their reputation.