Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I find I'm driving my ICE more than my Tesla (right now...)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately,I cannot disconnect my tacoma trd 4x4 batteries, need alarm set or off to Mexico it would go. So I will drive it once a week. Had not driven lately and battery shot, barely started. Luckily Costco exchanged for a new one. Rubicon sleeps in doors so maybe take advice and disconnect batteries, at least until campgrounds reopen

My GF's Forerunner is sitting in my garage. It only gets driven maybe three times a year. All you have to do is disconnect the battery terminals from the battery when it's stored.
I believe the conventional wisdom has it that other issues arise beyond the battery. Car fluids start breaking down, particularly the oils and gasoline, which in turn will start to gum up the fuel pump. Rubber parts start to dry rot. And cables and the like start to rust and freeze up. I know even a 1-2 week period of non-use on the BMW, I can feel the tires have bottom-flattened and the brakes have rusted and seize a bit, and the engine takes longer to start (piston seals harden, oil drained out). Gas over time can also take on water, particularly with the ethanol component these days.

I once left gas in the tank of a mower over the winter. The mess remaining in the spring when I tried to start it again was educational. Should at least use gas stabilizer...

Last edited:
Which is why I've decided to sell my ICE because it will die, too, if not driven at least every two weeks. It's become more of a nuisance, although at one time it was the love of my life!

I told my wife I'll never buy another ICE. I think she's real close to getting rid of hers and going with a Model Y. We'll see. For now, she calls dibs on the Model 3 way too often for my liking!

We make a trip to family 260 freeway miles away every other month. If we did not have to do that, we would be two Tesla family also. ICE is just more convenient for us on those longer trips. If the gas tank is full at the beginning of the trip, we have to make only one five minute stop on the way back.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
The battery is typically the first concern and could be maintained by a trickle charger or just disconnected.

So true - mine has been on a tender to maintain the battery for the last 6 years. The last time my battery was disconnected for a power steering rack rebuild, it took over 300 miles of driving to get the I/M monitors to set. Even after multiple Acura recommended drive cycles, I thought they would never set.

I believe the conventional wisdom has it that other issues arise beyond the battery. Car fluids start breaking down, particularly the oils and gasoline, which in turn will start to gum up the fuel pump. Rubber parts start to dry rot. And cables and the like start to rust and freeze up. I know even a 1-2 week period of non-use on the BMW, I can feel the tires have bottom-flattened and the brakes have rusted and seize a bit, and the engine takes longer to start (piston seals harden, oil drained out). Gas over time can also take on water, particularly with the ethanol component these days.

I once left gas in the tank of a mower over the winter. The mess remaining in the spring when I tried to start it again was educational. Should at least use gas stabilizer...

If we are talking about storing a vehicle for well over a year, then yes, other issues can arise. Mostly related to the fuel system and tires possibly developing permanent damage.

As far as the other things you mentioned, rubber parts don't dry rot because of lack of use. They dry rot because of age. By "cables" I assume you mean the parking brake, which most people don't regularly use anyway so again with age or the environment the car is driven/stored in, they will be just as likely to rust and seize up regardless on an older car. Many newer cars have electric parking brakes, so this is a non-issue. As far as brakes go, yes rotor friction surfaces will rust, but if the car is stored in a garage, to get them to the point of rusting enough to completely seize up would take years.

The engine taking longer to start is usually due to some air in the fuel system, not "piston seals hardening" or engine oil draining out. Piston rings, which are the seals I can only assume you are talking about are made of metal, and thus will not "harden" if a vehicle sits. The vast majority of oil that is going to drain into the pan after the engine is stopped does so in the first few minutes after an engine is stopped. Engine oil is specifically designed to coat and cling to engine parts protecting them from corrosion over time and lubricating in the first second or so of startup before the oil pump can supply the whole engine with oil. While an old engine that has been sitting an extremely long time could "seize up", this would take decades to occur.

Gas does degrade over time (if it's less than a year then you really only lose some octane, and pick up some water), and fuel "stabilizers" offer mixed results, especially in fuels that have ethanol added. The likely reason you ran into issues with a lawn mower storing it for a winter is because small engines that are carbureted aren't technically designed for gas with ethanol. Their seals swell and carburetors get gummed up as a result since the have rubber bladders that break down. Cars made in the last 2+ decades do not have these issues since their rubber parts are designed to deal with E10 gasoline and they are fuel injected.

I've been storing cars for the winter (and sometimes extended periods) for years. My current 2003 911 Turbo usually sits from mid November to early April without being moved or started. My "winterization" protocol is to change the oil, inflate the tires to 2 psi above recommended cold tire pressure spec, run the gas down to about 1/4 tank, pour a bottle of HEET in to absorb any moisture, clean the car, close all windows completely, hook up to battery tender, and cover her up. In the spring, I take the cover off. Pull off the battery tender and she starts right up like I drove her the day before. I check the tire pressure and my first trip is straight to the gas station for some fresh 93 octane. Works perfectly every time, and my car doesn't leak a drop of anything.

Last edited:
I have a trickle charger hooked up to my wifes X3, and we use my model 3 for anything around the neighborhood. This way my wife does not need to deal with getting gas (and touching pumps etc) at the local gas stations, and my car is "filled up" ready at all times to be used with my charger in my garage.

I would suggest just buying a trickle charger ( making sure to get one that supports AGM batteries since most bmws have those ). I have had one for several years actually, just because my wifes cars never tend to be driven far enough to actually charge the battery much, and trickle charging it over an evening every couple months extends the battery life quite a bit for me for the bmws I have had.

As usual, we're on the EXACT same wavelength.

I've got my wife's Enclave on a trickle charger. It's been around the block once in the last 45 days just to avoid flat spots. Still has a full tank...

And yep - it's got an AGM battery, so I have a higher end Battery Tender (the 3A model) specifically for AGM batts.

Gosh I can't wait to get out from under this Enclave. Model X may just be our self-gift once the quarantining is over ..... convince me I'm wrong :)

Reactions: jjrandorin
The freedom of getting rid of your old legacy gasser is liberating.

So many of us keep an older car around...just in case, or worrying about that dreaded stop at a Supercharger when your gasser would not need to stop at all.

Getting that space in the garage freed up, getting rid of the Insurance payment, needing to drive it more than necessary due to gas going bad or tires flat spotting. Not paying registration, smog checks, annual maintenance, etc.

There may be a time or two you kinda wish you kept your gasser, but it is rarely so necessary that you will rent a gasser for the occasion.

Why are your ICE cars so fragile? I have a 12 yr old pickup that sits for months between uses, outside, with no trouble what-so-ever. Likewise, I have a 30 yr old Prelude si that sits in the garage for 8 months of the year and starts up every spring.

Waiting for my MY w/trailer hitch to replace 2 ice cars. In the meantime I alternate driving the ice cars once a week to go to store. If my Subaru 2005 outback goes more than 3 weeks without driving the 2yr old battery will be dead due to computer and alarm system phantom drain. Ask me how I know...

Why are your ICE cars so fragile? I have a 12 yr old pickup that sits for months between uses, outside, with no trouble what-so-ever. Likewise, I have a 30 yr old Prelude si that sits in the garage for 8 months of the year and starts up every spring.

The older stuff seemed to tolerate the sitting much better, but newer cars have more electronic gadget drain, higher compression engines, lighter pistons, exotic metals, lighter weight manufactured parts and generally are optimized for fuel efficiency instead of being parked.

They’re not fragile at all, but - just like a Tesla - it’s never really “off”. There’s some light electronics that remain powered up and, eventually, that drains the battery.
Further, the tolerance for a “weak” battery is a lot less than it used to be. Older vehicles really only needed their 12V battery to start; after that, the alternator could handle the load.

Modern cars with an engine start/stop mechanism rely on the battery much, much more. I still can’t believe how quickly and smoothly our Buick, for example, can restart the engine when it shuts off at, say, a red light. It’s impressive engineering - but needs a strong battery.

That’s also why its battery is of the AGM type, and quite a bit larger than you’d see otherwise.

Throw a trickle charger on it and it can sit for months and start right up. I do it with my 911 Turbo every winter.

^ This!

When I got my Model 3 I held on to the Prius, for reasons not relevant to this topic. I got a battery minder installed in the Prius and plugged it in. I didn't drive it for a year. When I did drive it again, it was fine. The ICE car will not suffer, and its battery will not suffer, if it's plugged in to a battery minder.

Note: I don't know if a battery minder is just a trickle charger, or if it's smart enough to run only as needed.

Eventually I was able to get rid of the Prius. Gasoline may be cheaper than it was, but my electricity is free.