Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I go running and don’t take my phone: what are my options for locking/unlocking my car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do a lot of running and never take my phone. What are the options for getting back into my car without having it unlocked while I'm running? I used to just carry the car key in the little pocket inside my running shorts. The credit card key deal won't fit.

not a problem. get yourself a spare card and dissolve it in acetone for about 2-4h. Retrieve the RFID chip with the antenna. Fold the antenna and make sure it still works on the car the way you folded it.
Then you can i.e. put it into your pocket. Or sew it into some cloth. or whatever you fancy.

The other option is to buy the fob.

It sounds like you will be happiest with the fob. Or, the next time you are at an expo before a big run, check out all the new armband/waistband options. Personally, even though I currently don't have an Apple watch, it would be cool if that could be paired as a key.

I do a lot of running and never take my phone. What are the options for getting back into my car without having it unlocked while I'm running? I used to just carry the car key in the little pocket inside my running shorts. The credit card key deal won't fit.
If you have an Apple Watch/iPhone just get the Stats app and lock your iPhone in your car.

IMG_2573.jpeg

Stats app is iOS watch app. There is also one called Tesla remote.

BUT - note that the car needs to be connected to cellular, the Tesla servers need to be working, and the watch needs to be connected (via cellular or through the phone). The watch does not talk directly to the car. Usually it will work, sometimes it may not.

I’d suggest the key fob, an arm pouch, or the acetone idea.

Edit to add - and be sure to turn off Bluetooth on the phone locked in the car or the car will stay unlocked. And that might keep the watch from having a data connection.

• Informative
Reactions: tvad
Stats app is iOS watch app. There is also one called Tesla remote.
....Edit to add - and be sure to turn off Bluetooth on the phone locked in the car or the car will stay unlocked. And that might keep the watch from having a data connection.
No need to turn BT off using the Stats app. Just lock the car with the Apple Watch app and it will stay locked until you unlock it. If it did unlock for some reason it will send a notification to your Apple Watch and you can just lock it again. In fact even if you forget to lock the car Stats will auto lock the car with the iPhone inside (BT on) in about 5 minutes.

I wouldn’t recommend storing the fob in the small pocket of your running shorts unless the fob is water/sweat proof. I ruined a Toyota key fob after a long sweaty run a few summers ago.

When I run in shorts that don’t have pockets, I put the key card (along with a cc and ID) in my SPIbelt (usually only have my phone in there).

Reactions: MarkBrokeIt