Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I got Enhanced Autopilot, but no option for Full Self-Driving.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

I'm hoping someone can answer my question, but first some back story. I bought my Model 3 back in December and paid the 5K up front for "Enhanced Autopilot". At the time of my purchase, that was the only autonomous driving option available. I wasn't aware of the separate Full Self-Driving option which was available previously. That option disappeared during the time I was shopping for the car and then was re-introduced after I made my purchase. I knew that Tesla is working on making the cars fully self driving and I thought that's what Enhanced Autopilot would eventually become.

I see that now the definition of Autopilot has changed, the wording "Enhanced" is gone from the ordering page, Autopilot is included in the price of the car. The Full Self-Driving package is the same as what I paid for EAP and is where may of the features I get with EAP kick in (Navigate on Autopilot, Auto Lane Change, Auto Park, and Summon). Does anyone know where this leaves me in regard to Full Self-Driving? Would I need to cough up $7K in the future to get it, like someone buying a car now but opts out? I certainly hope not.

Thanks for the help,
Dave

Hello All,

I'm hoping someone can answer my question, but first some back story. I bought my Model 3 back in December and paid the 5K up front for "Enhanced Autopilot". At the time of my purchase, that was the only autonomous driving option available. I wasn't aware of the separate Full Self-Driving option which was available previously. That option disappeared during the time I was shopping for the car and then was re-introduced after I made my purchase. I knew that Tesla is working on making the cars fully self driving and I thought that's what Enhanced Autopilot would eventually become.

I see that now the definition of Autopilot has changed, the wording "Enhanced" is gone from the ordering page, Autopilot is included in the price of the car. The Full Self-Driving package is the same as what I paid for EAP and is where may of the features I get with EAP kick in (Navigate on Autopilot, Auto Lane Change, Auto Park, and Summon). Does anyone know where this leaves me in regard to Full Self-Driving? Would I need to cough up $7K in the future to get it, like someone buying a car now but opts out? I certainly hope not.

Thanks for the help,
Dave

This may help:
https://twitter.com/TroyTeslike/status/1105039537804378113\
fsd_Chart.jpg

What is confusing to me (and any help is much appreciated) is that I purchased a demo car delivered on 3/16. It came with EAP. My account page STILL does not have the current car/configuration listed. I just get an error message when I try to access it. Tesla is supposedly working on this, but it has been a month so I am not holding my breath. My question is, which category do I fall under? I have not and cannot access any correct info within my account re: FSD upgrade.

Hmm... I may have to talk to them. I'm actually picking the car up from the service center this afternoon. (long story that involves Tesla replacing my entire battery pack and 2 weeks of waiting)

I checked my account in tesla.com and it says that I'd have to pay $5K for the upgrade to FSD. Crunching the numbers, I'm starting to feel pretty hosed by buying when I did. Not quite 4 months after buying, my same exact car would be $1000 cheaper with the Full Self Driving package vs mine with just EAP. Those numbers are even taking into account the reduction of the Federal rebate. It makes it much worse if I have to cough up another 5K for FSD.

I understand things go down in cost over time, but 3-6 thousand dollars of a premium for 4 months of ownership to upgrade to FSD leaves me with a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Hmm... I may have to talk to them. I'm actually picking the car up from the service center this afternoon. (long story that involves Tesla replacing my entire battery pack and 2 weeks of waiting)

I checked my account in tesla.com and it says that I'd have to pay $5K for the upgrade to FSD. Crunching the numbers, I'm starting to feel pretty hosed by buying when I did. Not quite 4 months after buying, my same exact car would be $1000 cheaper with the Full Self Driving package vs mine with just EAP. Those numbers are even taking into account the reduction of the Federal rebate. It makes it much worse if I have to cough up another 5K for FSD.

I understand things go down in cost over time, but 3-6 thousand dollars of a premium for 4 months of ownership to upgrade to FSD leaves me with a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

I don't understand the issue, when you purchased the car you had to purchase FSD up front or else it would cost you more later? Unless you purchased the car when it wasn't listed, but then tesla reduced the price for you anyways?

My car was 79,000 OTD 6 months ago, you can get the upgraded version of it for less today. And if I had not purchased EAP I could have bought FSD for $5k (For everything, that is AP+FSD) last month. The day after I picked my car up the price for the white interior changed. Try not to lose any sleep over it. I do understand it can hurt though, it sucks when it's MSRP value is dropping in price faster than your paying it off.

I don't understand the issue, when you purchased the car you had to purchase FSD up front or else it would cost you more later? Unless you purchased the car when it wasn't listed, but then tesla reduced the price for you anyways?

My car was 79,000 OTD 6 months ago, you can get the upgraded version of it for less today. And if I had not purchased EAP I could have bought FSD for $5k (For everything, that is AP+FSD) last month. The day after I picked my car up the price for the white interior changed. Try not to lose any sleep over it. I do understand it can hurt though, it sucks when it's MSRP value is dropping in price faster than your paying it off.

The issue is that FSD wasn't an option when I bought, EAP was the only self driving listed for purchase. I bought that for 5K and now they want another 5K for FSD, bringing my total to 10K if I want it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but looking at numbers I can find online I don't think that any other route for getting FSD was that expensive.

Self driving was a major reason I wanted a Tesla and they didn't have any information that EAP and FSD weren't the same thing when I was shopping with them.

The issue is that FSD wasn't an option when I bought, EAP was the only self driving listed for purchase. I bought that for 5K and now they want another 5K for FSD, bringing my total to 10K if I want it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but looking at numbers I can find online I don't think that any other route for getting FSD was that expensive.

Self driving was a major reason I wanted a Tesla and they didn't have any information that EAP and FSD weren't the same thing when I was shopping with them.

Based on your purchase date, you should be in the C group with ability to upgrade to FSD for less( was 2k, but that price may have been for a limited time), 5k is the current AP to FSD new order price, and should not apply to your situation.
(referring to the graphic in post 2)

Reactions: Glamisduner

The upgrade was offered for 2k a few weeks ago. I think it should be a 3k upgrade for you now since the prices changed (I could see it being 4k upgrade though). I don't think it's a 5k upgrade for you. It's a bit of a mess Tesla created, but I'm almost positive your in a special group for pricing.

Also, I don't know if there is any point to buying the FSD upgrade from EAP right now, maybe a few weeks ago if you don't mind pre-ordering... I'm sure pricing will change again as it seems to do every week or so :(

Last edited:
Reactions: mongo