Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I have to replace front upper control arms and sway bar after 64K/4+ years?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had some loud creaking while steering while in motion and the Bellevue WA Service Center informs me my both front upper control arms and the sway bar need to be replaced to the tune of $1827.50. My model X is 64K miles and just over 4 years (out of warranty) so this is very frustrating. No significant "events" have ever happened to the front end. (Was the victim of a slow speed rear ending 2 year ago). Anyone will similar experience?
this probably won't help OP but maybe good info for others.
creaking upper control arms are def an issue on X n shouldn't be expensive to replace
but not sure why they wanted to replace sway bar??.. i'd decline sway bar n see if issue goes away
sway bar replacement requires subfame to be loosened, hence the hefty price.

Hi, Guicane. I ended up having Bellevue Service Center replace both arms. It’s a bummer that the ball joint is embedded in the arm as the fix could be much less costly but I assume the engineering and manufacturing dictate the need to keep them this way. Possibly my S60 went longer on miles due to not being as heavy with battery weight. Just a guess though. If anything… this is a cost that should be expected every 4-5 years in the heavier vehicles. Definitely kicks up the TCO.
UCAs don't carry the weight of the car directly, they move freely in Z direction. They only support the strut in XY direction.
The 'full' weight of the car sits on the lower control arm (in layman's terms)