Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I make my Model Y a Home on Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just returned from a cross country trip where I did the car camping in the Y.

Then found yet another post on camping

Both threads had some interesting points and ideas. Just passing those along if you are interested.

I like the BBQ visit idea. You could go to as many BBQ places along your journey.
I, myself, did geocaching. I have now cached in all 50 states. Now pondering if I should try to do all of Canada. :)

I'll be very curious how many times you run into issues of "you can't camp in that" even if you are in a sanctioned camp group, especially one that has a 30amp or 50amp outlet. To me that is the best case; you hit a camp group that can charge the car overnight and you get all the comforts of a nice heated/cooled cabin and keeping the bugs out. BUT, I've heard of some camp areas throwing a fit saying you can't "camp in cars" and making people either setup tents or have RVs...

I hope over the next few years that changes
I’ve heard some campgrounds are against people camping in Teslas…

Frankly, I don’t think I’ll be going to many campgrounds as so many chargers across the country are free. But maybe that will change! If I do go to a campground, I’ll certainly go to one with electrical outlets as I have the 14-50 NEMA and 30A RV adapters

Do you work? What is your income source? Rich parents?
Thanks for asking this!

My income source is currently ~$500/month based on a rental property I own.

I lived far, far below my means for a few months leading up to a departure date to save a substantial amount. I also plan to live far, far below my means while I’m on the road (personal spending below $250/week for food, entertainment, and charging)

I have an exceptionally good relationship with my employer and asked to take time off unpaid.

In essence, I saved like a mf to be able to take an extended vacation… but out of my car.

I think this experiment can work for an individual but where do you plan to shower? What is the plan after 2.5 months? What do you plan to see in your travels?

We have an acquaintance that tried to do the van life with their two kids. They bought a van and tricked it out with solar panels. Once they hit the road they encountered all sorts of trouble and reliability of the solar panels and ended up spending more time in hotels because it was hard for four people to live, study, and work out of a van.
Can’t agree more. I can’t imagine doing this with a family … or even a wife/girlfriend.

As for showering… there are all kinds of publicly accessible showers (national forrests, Love’s truck stops, campgrounds). Also, a planet fitness blackcard allows access to all locations (each of which have showers). Too boot, I have my own pump shower (https://amzn.to/3wdV8gF) which works phenomenally.

After the 2.5 months, I’m scheduled to go back to my job! I do quite enjoy my work and job, but who knows what life has planned?

As I’m based out of Miami, my plan is to go as far north as New Hampshire and as far west as Vegas. Im trying to stay in areas where charging is largely offered for free.

For this particular lifestyle, a trailer seems like a liability. Significantly lower driving range, less maneuverable in cities, limited/restricted parking options, where to keep it if you don't want to tow it around on a particular day, etc. The added facilities of a shower and toilet are nice, but in my travels, I've had no problem meeting those needs. Between inexpensive 24/7 gym memberships and convenience stores, toilet facilities aren't particularly difficult to find.

If, on the other hand, you wanted to venture off into the wilderness and spend time at camp grounds and on public land, a trailer is probably a good way to go.
@norazi, Big Earl hit the nail on the head.

But, what I believe is seldom mentioned in forums and amongst Tesla owners is, if you do tow something, supercharging is virtually impossible unless you pull up sideways and block other charging spaces

Following!! I've done a bunch of longer road trips in my 3 and am planning an extended 3+ week road trip in my Y once it arrives (hopefully next month🤞🏻)

Have you considered getting some kind of tent or shelter as place to hang out in? I bought the Kelty Backroadz shelter (Kelty Backroads Shelter | REI Co-op) since it apparently is much easier for one person to put up/down than some of the other popular SUV-attachable tents. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet obviously, but it's sitting in a pile with the rest of my Y accessories patiently waiting for delivery :D
Thank you! Hope you enjoy that road trip!!

I did very much consider a shelter/tent. But, the reality is I’m not much into hanging out / camping out deep in the wilderness. I much prefer sleepy towns or cities that have a charger I can hookup to for the night and be able to watch Netflix/have internet. I love going for hikes, being in nature, etc, but only during the day time. So I don’t see the need for a shelter/tent/canopy

Reactions: mdsco
I’m not entirely sure I like the trend of people sleeping in their Tesla’s overnight at level 2 chargers. Often those chargers are at businesses in a core town area. Possibly if there was a build out of them at truck stops or the like where commercial overnight sleeping happens… but I feel like parking lot camping is just one step towards businesses limiting hours on a charger (having it unpowered during nights or non-business hours) or putting up rules and signs that you can’t park there for more than X hours or something. Finally it could discourage businesses from adding L2 stations worried it might attract overnight attention.

I think at minimum you should always ask for permission from the host before just plugging in and sleeping for the night.

Reactions: journey.w.vic
I’m not entirely sure I like the trend of people sleeping in their Tesla’s overnight at level 2 chargers. Often those chargers are at businesses in a core town area. Possibly if there was a build out of them at truck stops or the like where commercial overnight sleeping happens… but I feel like parking lot camping is just one step towards businesses limiting hours on a charger (having it unpowered during nights or non-business hours) or putting up rules and signs that you can’t park there for more than X hours or something. Finally it could discourage businesses from adding L2 stations worried it might attract overnight attention.

I think at minimum you should always ask for permission from the host before just plugging in and sleeping for the night.
Interesting point. I suspect most businesses that have a L2 charger set them up as a convenience for their customers, or to bring business to their stores. If it were my business, I would definitely shut if off outside of business hours. And municipalities that have free charging, probably also have them for the same reason - bringing business to their towns. So may be a little tricky at times sleeping overnight at a charger.

Interesting point. I suspect most businesses that have a L2 charger set them up as a convenience for their customers, or to bring business to their stores. If it were my business, I would definitely shut if off outside of business hours. And municipalities that have free charging, probably also have them for the same reason - bringing business to their towns. So may be a little tricky at times sleeping overnight at a charger.
Most I’ve seen are powered overnight, which is fantastic and I don’t want to see that change. That would be make or break if a DCFC is down and you just need 10kWh to get to a hotel or another quick charge site. I also see it great if someone needs to charge long term on a weekend or from 6-10pm or something, which wouldn’t really cause an issue if it was a charge for the power delivered or minutes occupied.

However, I can see municipalities and businesses not wanting vehicles occupied for long durations after hours because someone is living/sleeping in them. That just becomes a liability, might require security to make sure people aren’t hanging around there routinely at 2am etc, and could actually invite homeless to set up shop around them. I know a Tesla doesn’t seem like the usual homeless vehicle, but buying an old Chevy Bolt for $5k or something could be a last ditch effort on the way to the streets and would be a heck of a lot better than living out of a gas car. You’ve got heat and cooling all night long at a charger, you have power to other devices, etc.

I just don’t want to see this starting to turn into a trend via TikTok or something stupid and then a bunch of people go “urban EV camping” or something and then charging stations start to be policed or turned off after 6pm or on Sunday’s or anything…

Reactions: journey.w.vic
I stay at a hotel each September each year on a regular road trip I take through the Rockies. This particular hotel keeps the power off their chargers until asked by a customer to turn them on, so this does happen.

I stay at a hotel each September each year on a regular road trip I take through the Rockies. This particular hotel keeps the power off their chargers until asked by a customer to turn them on, so this does happen.
That's such a pain. If they're going to make me go through the trouble of tracking someone down to turn it on for me if I check in at 9pm or something, they better damn well keep them clear from ICE cars too or contact whoever owns the car and get them to move it.

It's one thing when they're totally passive, but if I have to go ask for permission to use it, start enforcing the parking of them too

Reactions: DanDi58
That's such a pain. If they're going to make me go through the trouble of tracking someone down to turn it on for me if I check in at 9pm or something, they better damn well keep them clear from ICE cars too or contact whoever owns the car and get them to move it.

It's one thing when they're totally passive, but if I have to go ask for permission to use it, start enforcing the parking of them too
Yeah they're pretty remote and not many chargers around so lots of people just stop to charge and keep going so I can see their point. I get charging early enough so ICEholes aren't an issue as they are a popular overnight spot and many are out in the National Parks 'til late.

I would love to see Tesla use the Semi platform to produce RV’s or other camping/vanlife style oriented vehicles

I don't really see it happening. Practically nobody uses a semi-tractor for van life. A few wealthier folks use semi-tractors to pull RV trailers, but those are typically the biggest of the big. Operating and maintenance costs for these vehicles are huge even if you completely exclude fuel costs.

I'm hoping for a bespoke Tesla camper-van type vehicle, similar in size to a Sprinter. Imagine the possibilities!

As there’s been hot debate about sleeping in the car at chargers, I see both sides of the argument. On one hand, free power to the car, A/C all night, and theater mode makes for quite a comfortable experience for the “stealth camper.” On the other hand, I can see how if a lot of people start doing this, chargers will be policed/shut off at certain times.

What I will say is, living out of a car is not new. Many companies, towns, etc enforce no overnight parking and/or no living out of a vehicle. On the flip side, many companies, towns, etc welcome or do not discourage overnight parking/living out of a vehicle.

Also, I know people are dropping off their cars at free to charge locations at night and picking them up in the mornings. So what I’m doing is not necessarily new.

As for me: I plan to stay in sleepy towns where the chargers are in remote areas and are seldom used. Alternatively, if I’m in a relatively large city (sub 150,000 ppl), I’ll only charge overnight at off the beaten path chargers.

If all else fails, I’ll just be like this dude: Conner Mather on TikTok

• Funny
Reactions: Big Earl